Stratoliner Deluxe or Vulcan Vaquero - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
pwbritt

Default Stratoliner Deluxe or Vulcan Vaquero

Hello Guys,

I am a long time Star biker, so please don't beat me up too much. My wife and I are going to buy two new bikes soon. We are trying to decide if we want a pair of the Stratoliner Deluxe or if we want a Pair of red Vaqueros. We have ridden the Stratoliner and it is a smooth, powerful machine. We were impressed. We have not gotten a chance to ride a Vaquero though. Summarizing my take on the bikes is this. The stratoliner is more powerful and handles and rides really well. The Vaquero is better looking and a more complete touring bike with cruise control. Can someone with experience on both bikes give me some input?

Thanks,

pwbritt
pwbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
ericb445

I just traded my 06 Stratoliner S with bat-wing and stereo so it looked liked a Deluxe. I do miss the power of the Stratoliner. But I do love the Cruise and all controls on the bars on the VV. I am trying to get used to the heat the VV puts off on to the rider. I had zero issues with my Stratoliner and clocked 40k miles. I kind of regret making the move to the VV and back to a bike payment, but the its kind of nice having the three year warranty and a new bike. Did I mention that I miss the power of the Stratoliner and I think my Statoliner was a smoother engine/bike in general with a better power band.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Heavvyduty

I to traded my 06 stratoliner for a VV .in june 11th of this year...Very nice bike and I did all the add on,s Pipes/Thunder Air kit/an cobra fuel controller..
It did wake the bike up...BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MY STRAT...
Well 6000mi later .. Im sorry to say Im leaving,,This has been an alsome site .Got alot of help from people like RacenRay an so forth..
But I traded it in on a 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe. I took a little hit in the pocket book,,,But I wish I had done this to began with..Had them ad the elec cruz control 275$,Now its just like the VV...But a hell of alot better...This is my view ..since I have own both bike,s,,,The ride is much better,,an you can say all you want. After having the kind of power the Strat has You are and will mis it.
And get this Kaw 1700cc 37 to 41mi to the gal.The Strat 1900cc 39 to 44mi the the gall know matter how you ride it.AND I,LL NEVER OWN AN ALL BLACK BIKE AG IN MY LIFE TALK ABOUT SHOW DIRT ALL THE TIME WOW.This Strat has been custom painted two tone Red an Black
Have liked every Kaw I have ever owned, But just cound,nt embrace the VV..
Just my 2cents

Last edited by Heavvyduty; 10-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Heavvyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Scorpo90

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
I to traded my 06 stratoliner for a VV .in june 11th of this year...Very nice bike and I did all the add on,s Pipes/Thunder Air kit/an cobra fuel controller..
It did wake the bike up...BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MY STRAT...
Well 6000mi later .. Im sorry to say Im leaving,,This has been an alsome site .Got alot of help from people like RacenRay an so forth..
But I traded it in on a 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe. I took a little hit in the pocket book,,,But I wish I had done this to began with..Had them ad the elec cruz control 275$,Now its just like the VV...But a hell of alot better...This is my view ..since I have own both bike,s,,,The ride is much better,,an you can say all you want. After having the kind of power the Strat has You are and will mis it.
And get this Kaw 1700cc 37 to 41mi to the gal.The Strat 1900cc 39 to 44mi the the gall know matter how you ride it.AND I,LL NEVER OWN AN ALL BLACK BIKE AG IN MY LIFE TALK ABOUT SHOW DIRT ALL THE TIME WOW.This Strat has been custom painted two tone Red an Black
Have liked every Kaw I have ever owned, But just cound,nt embrace the VV..
Just my 2cents
There's a special place in Hell for traitors.... lol (kidding with you brother) But you are right Yamaha puts out way more power to the pavement than Kawasaki (in this comparo), in my case Im a reverse, I do not want that much speed or power anymore, I have been craving the comfort and amenities of long "take it easy" cruising. Heat on the 1700 is an issue, well known and documented, why (engine design, exhaust sucks?, who knows), I dont have a clue how to fix it, yet. Go with what you love, peace.

Ridding
2011 Voyager "Horton"
Scorpio Alarm
Complete Baflectomy Performed and Custom Anodized Tips
LED Engine and Rear Wheel Lights
Shortened Windshield with Tint.
"If there is one thing I learned in life is that I will soon forget what it was that I learned".."never bring a gun to a fist fight, you'll end up shoot..."
Scorpo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
1700Classic
Premium Member

Well let's start by asking what's so deluxe about the Stratoliner "Deluxe." Is it the empty fairing that has a cheap pair of speakers in it? Yamaha does make decent electronics and all we get in the Stratoliner "Deluxe" is a sub par stock set of speakers and a place to plug an iPod in. Once you plug the iPod in the only place to set it is in an open compartment in the fairing. Is it a deluxe because you have to fumble to find where to put the key deep inside the fairing? Try getting that key in fairing at night. Is it a "Deluxe" because it has the smallest GVWR of all bikes in its class meaning that if either you or your old lady are fat forget about filling those bags. Is it a "Deluxe" because it has by far the shortest fuel tank range in its class? I believe the tank range is about 120 miles on a good day. Is it a "Deluxe" because after 6 years of Stratoliners, the "Deluxe" still has the same old 5 speed transmission that revs too high out on the interstate? Maybe it's a "Deluxe" because Star thought you wanted to feel every bump on the road by using an aluminum frame to "keep the weight down." Perhaps it's a "Deluxe" because the seat would have been more comfortable if they put one in made out of nails. Or maybe it's a "Deluxe" because there are virtually no tire options for it aside from OEM and car tires. The Stratoliner Deluxe is a Strat with a hollow fairing and some hard bags. If you can find a new one for 10-11K then it might be a good deal. Otherwise let it sit on the showroom floor with the rest of them.

With the Vaq you get a liquid cooled bike, hydraulic clutch, 6 speed gear box, instruments in the fairing, radio, adjustable air shocks, smooth ride, better looking, cruise, and a better handling ride. Kawasaki actually designed a bagger with the Vaq instead of just slapping an empty fairing and some hard bags on a bike that's been out for 6 years. If you want the Stratoliner "Deluxe" (God help us all) just by a 2006 Stratoliner in good shape and put a fairing and hard bags on it. You'll save so much money, you can just mail me checks every month for the spot on advice.

Go with the Vaq. It's not even a close comparison. With some pipes, intake, and fuel processor, the Vaq will be making all the power you'll need and keep up with a Strat just fine.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

I just looked at the specs for the Deluxe and it is a different bike for a different purpose. Definitely not a distance machine with that small fuel tank. The Vaquero and Voyager as well as the Nomad are touring bikes. The deluxe is more of a boulevard cruiser IMO. The ol Royal Star Venture and tour deluxe are still Star's touring line up.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
baldrider

Go with the regular Stratoliner over the delux. I have a 06 Stratoliner thats paid off so I kept it and I have a 2011 Voyager. Two different bikes two different purposes. However in my opinion that Stratoliner is the best V twin out there. It's fast and corners a lot better than the VV. I have taken it from Fl. to NC riding two up and did fine. The VV is a lot nicer riding on the flat top with the fairing. If yamaha got smart and put a full fairing, trunk with the hard bags on the Stratoliner I would have gotten that over the VV. Don't get me wrong now but I do like my VV it just takes money to get it to ride like it should and I just think the Stratoliner does everything better. I don't plan on selling my Voyager but, I wouldn't buy another.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Heavvyduty

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
Well let's start by asking what's so deluxe about the Stratoliner "Deluxe." Is it the empty fairing that has a cheap pair of speakers in it? Yamaha does make decent electronics and all we get in the Stratoliner "Deluxe" is a sub par stock set of speakers and a place to plug an iPod in. Once you plug the iPod in the only place to set it is in an open compartment in the fairing. Is it a deluxe because you have to fumble to find where to put the key deep inside the fairing? Try getting that key in fairing at night. Is it a "Deluxe" because it has the smallest GVWR of all bikes in its class meaning that if either you or your old lady are fat forget about filling those bags. Is it a "Deluxe" because it has by far the shortest fuel tank range in its class? I believe the tank range is about 120 miles on a good day. Is it a "Deluxe" because after 6 years of Stratoliners, the "Deluxe" still has the same old 5 speed transmission that revs too high out on the interstate? Maybe it's a "Deluxe" because Star thought you wanted to feel every bump on the road by using an aluminum frame to "keep the weight down." Perhaps it's a "Deluxe" because the seat would have been more comfortable if they put one in made out of nails. Or maybe it's a "Deluxe" because there are virtually no tire options for it aside from OEM and car tires. The Stratoliner Deluxe is a Strat with a hollow fairing and some hard bags. If you can find a new one for 10-11K then it might be a good deal. Otherwise let it sit on the showroom floor with the rest of them.

With the Vaq you get a liquid cooled bike, hydraulic clutch, 6 speed gear box, instruments in the fairing, radio, adjustable air shocks, smooth ride, better looking, cruise, and a better handling ride. Kawasaki actually designed a bagger with the Vaq instead of just slapping an empty fairing and some hard bags on a bike that's been out for 6 years. If you want the Stratoliner "Deluxe" (God help us all) just by a 2006 Stratoliner in good shape and put a fairing and hard bags on it. You'll save so much money, you can just mail me checks every month for the spot on advice.

Go with the Vaq. It's not even a close comparison. With some pipes, intake, and fuel processor, the Vaq will be making all the power you'll need and keep up with a Strat just fine.
I see you done your home work....But I read also about how nice the VV was...Reading get,s you no ware...Owning an riding doz..Ag the VV was nice but just didnt do it for me..
Also fuel range on the VV on mine was 150mi before stopping..The Strat also is 150mi...So fuel stop,s are going to be the same...And I agree some of your statements are rite on for the Strat...But not all bike,s are 100% perfect,,That,s why we customize them to fit are need,s...
Heavvyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Have you considered the Victory Cross Country Tour? That is one sweet bike. I had a Nomad 1700 and got rid of it, not for what you think. I is not the platform for towing a loaded, heavy Bunkhouse motorcycle camper trailer. Got the Gold Wing for that. I think now, if I were to do it again, I would have gotten the Cross Country to begin with. Now Victory has made it into a full-on touring motorcycle with a full fairing, huge bags, trunk, and electronics. I believe it also has cruise on it. It's a bit more spendy than the Srat D, but holds more gas, has better range, and just about equal power, plus a lot of comfort and good handling. If we ever decide to ditch the camper trailer and go with just one bike, I believe I might just go with the Victory.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
flyguy87

From Hevyduty; I see you done your home work....But I read also about how nice the VV was...Reading get,s you no ware...Owning an riding doz..Ag the VV was nice but just didnt do it for me..
Also fuel range on the VV on mine was 150mi before stopping..The Strat also is 150mi...So fuel stop,s are going to be the same...And I agree some of your statements are rite on for the Strat...But not all bike,s are 100% perfect,,That,s why we customize them to fit are need,s...

Just gotta wonder why you would say the VV is a 150 mile range bike? I guess if you
never go past putting 150 miles between fills on your bike, that's one thing. But that's not the actual range. I put 180 to 205 miles between fill-ups all the time. Haven't run out yet!
Glad to see you got back to the bike you really like. But just so there's no miss understanding, a VV will go 200 miles between fills, no problem.

Last edited by flyguy87; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 AM.
flyguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement