Rebuild Engine, etc - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Brutus

Default Rebuild Engine, etc

I'm just wondering what people with expierence might think the cost of rebuilding an engine and transmission of a 2001 1500 Nomad would be.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
sfair
Top Contributor

The range is from expensive to VERY expensive.
What is the problem with yours?

Post back.
sfair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Brutus

I don't have a 1500, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a dollar range for an engine and transmission build. If I had an idea what those would cost, it would help me make a decision on buying an older 1500. I'm really just curious what those things cost.

What is your range, in dollars, from expensive to very expensive?

Before I buy anything used I will have a mechanic look at it, test ride, etc, etc. I'm just curious what things cost.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
sfair
Top Contributor

OK, here is the rub. You did not mention what year or problems there are, so giving an estimate is nearly impossible. It could range from a set of rings, $50 plus gaskets if you do yourself to over $3000 plus if it needs the works.
A warning: some parts for the older 1500's are no longer available making a rebuild a near impossible task, depending on what is needed.
My advice: It is easy to sink more money into a bike that needs repairs than the bike is worth. In my opinion, if the bike is not in perfect running order, run away and find one that is. It makes poor ecenomic sense to buy a $500 bike and spend thousands to put it in roadworthy condition when you could put that money upfront for a better bike to begin with. There are plenty of nice bikes out there to choose from!!!

Post back.
sfair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Brutus

Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't post any specific problems or year, because I don't have any. I was just curious in a general sense how much things like this cost.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

I'm doing a full top end now, just waiting for the cam chains and new gorilla clutch. I am not going into trans as it is in good shape. I don't have a full tally of parts cost but a reasonable estimate is I'm nearing $1700 and doing the labor myself.
I found, 1 broken piston, burned out cam & rockers, worn out KACR's, worn out cam chains, Valves & seats looked pretty good so just cleaned off the ridges on valves to narrow the seat a bit and lapped back in. I ported the exhaust because it was way under sized for the pipe & gasket & plugged holes to the air inlet chamber (coasters) and blended plug with exhaust passage porting. the intake had no appreciable need, except a few bumps and ridges to blend. My clutch was working fine, but I figured that I might as well do it since I had to take it all apart to get into the chain underneath anyway.
I also found that the Kaw manual was lacking in some areas with clarity, so I purchased the Clymer which is almost overwhelming in details. Clymer was a good purchase.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISERDON View Post
I also found that the Kaw manual was lacking in some areas with clarity, so I purchased the Clymer which is almost overwhelming in details. Clymer was a good purchase.
I noticed that also. Kawi must have something better for their mechanics. I can't believe their shop manual that they sell is all there is.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
I noticed that also. Kawi must have something better for their mechanics. I can't believe their shop manual that they sell is all there is.
Yes they do indeed ! I didn't get to see it up close, but I asked the shop manager how to tell the difference between the front and rear KACR units. He checked their manual and told me that they are in fact IDENTICAL except that the rear has a yellow spring. I bought two new ones and sure enough the springs are different, but it was shiny & black, not yellow & black.
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Brutus

Cruiserdon, thanks for the info. About how many hours in total do you think it will take you?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

How many hours ? Good question, sorry but I don't have a good answer for you. For the most part it is done except that I must go back into it and change out the cam chains, I ignored them and later found out that it was a big mistake. Fortunately I don't have to totally dismantle the top end, but I do have to pull off the top cover to get to cams in order to replace the chains. A wild guess for hours without the repeat stuff would be close to 20 hrs, give or take. I heard that the Kaw book gives 10 to R&R engine. I struggled putting the engine in the first time, Now, I think I have a system to make it much easier.
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement