Vulcan Nomad Clutch Problem - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
pjk6868

Default Vulcan Nomad Clutch Problem

My 1600 seems to have no clutch. When shifting from neutral to first, it just lunges forward and stalls. Checked fluid level and bled the lines, they seem fine. Bike sat for over two years, so there may be something else wrong. Any help is appreciated. I am good with a wrench, but a novice when debugging problems like this. I do have the Kawasaki Repair Manual for the bike.
(could it be the clutch interlock?)
pjk6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
pjk6868

Figured it out!! The clutch plates were frozen since it sat for so long. I rocked the bike back and forth in gear with the clutch engaged and it eventually freed up. I am now changing the oil and getting ready to ride it!!

The service manual was helpful. The troubleshooting section mentioned old oil, and I had to think about it for a while, but if the plates are squeezed together for to long, they will push the oil away and freeze up a bit. This is something that can happen with wet clutches.
pjk6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Windburn Bill

Glad it was a simply fix but this is a common problem with these bikes. If they sit to long the clutch plates can get sticky.
BTW...other common problems...loose coolent hose clamps resulting in water leaks (another easy fix) and the clutch rod seal leaking oil. If you see oil dripping from under the shifter side engine cover down by the kick stand your clutch rod seal is leaking. The seal costs $4 at the dealer and you can replace it yourself in about an hour. Not hard to do.

Last edited by Windburn Bill; 10-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Netnorske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn Bill View Post
Glad it was a simply fix but this is a common problem with these bikes. If they sit to long the clutch plates can get sticky.
BTW...other common problems...loose coolent hose clamps resulting in water leaks (another easy fix) and the clutch rod seal leaking oil. If you see oil dripping from under the shifter side engine cover down by the kick stand your clutch rod seal is leaking. The seal costs $4 at the dealer and you can replace it yourself in about an hour. Not hard to do.
If (when) your clutch begins to slip...you most likely won't need to replace the plates...just the spring. Replace the OEM spring with a Barnett...MT25 I think. They are much more heavy duty and lots of Nomad owners install those when the time comes. I love mine. The lever is harder to pull in, but the hook-up is much more to my liking!
VBA #0691 VROC #31307
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Black/Gray Voyager
2008 Blue/Silver Nomad

"Growing old is mandatory,
but growing up is optional."
Netnorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
nosivad

Garage

When I use my 2007 nomad after it has been sitting for a couple of days, the first time I put it in first it does jump and clunks a little. I assume that this is a minor version of pjk6868's problem

Kawasaki VN 1600 Nomad
nosivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement