Mustang Hard Coverd Saddlebags on a 1500 FI - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
ifly15

Garage
Default Mustang Hard Coverd Saddlebags on a 1500 FI

I've been looking at these bags for my 2001 1500 Fi. My wife and I tend to take long weekend and vacation trips and could use the extra storage. I'm spoiled, my last bike was a '01 Kawasaki Concours. What I like about the Mustang Hard Bags is they tend to be more water tight than leather and the fact there covered so they need no painting, plus there huge. I was planning on mounting them with the recommended Easy Brackets but my main concern is whether the will fit the bike without major modification as the bags and brackets are pricy enough.

Anyone else running with Mustang Saddlebags or something similar?
ifly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
inthewind
Top Contributor

I have a set of National Cycle Cruiseliners that you might be interested in. They are similar in size and shape to the Mustang, but come in high-gloss black rather than the leather look. And they are fully waterproof and lockable. Check them out: http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...el=ka%2d072%22

I just bought them in May and decided to not go with the changes I was planning. $495.00, and that will include the black mounting brackets (the brackets for the Cruiseliners are bike specific; they cost $115.00 for the black, $150.00 for the chrome).

Let me know if you're interested. No pressure. If I don't sell them this summer I'll probably have them painted over the winter to match my bike.

Last edited by inthewind; 07-19-2011 at 07:21 AM.
inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
ifly15

Garage

Thanks for the offer inthewind, that's something I'll have to think about.

I looked at these bags, nice bags and good quality, but I had to consider the cost of painting them, I just spent $300.00 to get a fairing painted. I know a lot of people would run them as is, but I like to have things match. I have leather bags on now and like the look, but are just too small for the both of us, so I've been leaning towards the Mustang bags
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
inthewind
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly15 View Post
Thanks for the offer inthewind, that's something I'll have to think about.

I looked at these bags, nice bags and good quality, but I had to consider the cost of painting them, I just spent $300.00 to get a fairing painted. I know a lot of people would run them as is, but I like to have things match. I have leather bags on now and like the look, but are just too small for the both of us, so I've been leaning towards the Mustang bags
That was my plan too when I bought them, and if I still have them this winter I'll probably have some pin-striping done. I also planned on altering the mounts so the bags would sit lower.

The Mustangs look like nice bags... You might also look at Tsukayu. They have several hardbags options, and they will paint them to match your bike. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
kawaboss

Hello guys I'm not trying to jump your thread, but if ifly15 isn't interested I may be. I just purchased a gloss black 2003 Vulcan classic and was thinking of going with hard bags.At the moment it is equipped with saddleman soft bags I really don't care for throw overs. I'm new to the forum and I am just learning how to navigate. But as I said inthewind If ifly15 passes let me know.
Thanks
kawaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
ifly15

Garage

No problem kawaboss. I'm still on the fence as far as what I'm going to do.

I'm not happy with my throw overs either. They're nice to have for some small things but a way too small for a trip. The bags inthewind have would most likely match your bike pretty well without having to paint.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
inthewind
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaboss View Post
Hello guys I'm not trying to jump your thread, but if ifly15 isn't interested I may be. I just purchased a gloss black 2003 Vulcan classic and was thinking of going with hard bags.At the moment it is equipped with saddleman soft bags I really don't care for throw overs. I'm new to the forum and I am just learning how to navigate. But as I said inthewind If ifly15 passes let me know.
Thanks
Kawaboss,

It appears that ifly15 has passed. If you want them let me know.

Just for the record, the mounting brackets are not new. I used them a couple summers ago when I had another set of these bags. The bags though are new, and they are still under warranty. I checked with National Cycle and the warranty is good for 1 year from the date they were initially purchased, which was May 13th.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
kawaboss

Thanks for the replys. I am still interested. The only real ? in my mind is shipping cost . Mass is a long way from Ms. I just resigned from my job and have to travel to Pensacola monday to talk about my salary for a new job. So long story short I have to squeeze a little tighter until things are settled, but at this point I can probably spare what you are asking for the bags,which I love by the way. Been on e-bay but that is a crap shoot. I posted a pic of my bike next to the last pic in pic thread, if you look you can see they would be a good match in color.If you don't sell them between now and sometime next week I will get back with you. Again thanks
kawaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
inthewind
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaboss View Post
Thanks for the replys. I am still interested. The only real ? in my mind is shipping cost . Mass is a long way from Ms. I just resigned from my job and have to travel to Pensacola monday to talk about my salary for a new job. So long story short I have to squeeze a little tighter until things are settled, but at this point I can probably spare what you are asking for the bags,which I love by the way. Been on e-bay but that is a crap shoot. I posted a pic of my bike next to the last pic in pic thread, if you look you can see they would be a good match in color.If you don't sell them between now and sometime next week I will get back with you. Again thanks
If I had sold them on ebay the fees would have been over $50.00. If I sell them here without fees I can cover the shipping and still be ahead. So if you want them it'll be $495.00 shipped. For both bags and mounts that's a deal!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Vulcanrider53

Default Saddlebags

Hey, ifly15, I have a '05 1500 classic, of which I mounted Mutazu hard bags and trunk. (Mutazu.com) Both look good and work well for storage on long trips.
Vulcanrider53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement