vulcan 500 windshield wind buffeting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
freedombird777

Default vulcan 500 windshield wind buffeting

I have an 08 vulcan 500. I bought a national cycles street shield ex windshield. I have adjusted up down changed angle of shield but nothing stops the wind buffeting. above 60 mph its horrible. I commute to work at 2:00 am so need some wind protection to survive the cold. I have changed my riding position to a forward lean with my feet on passenger pegs. This puts me lower and closer to the shield and helps alot. I've tried every ridinging position imaginable... and then riding home at noon I tried leaning back head low scooting forward and placing legs/ feet on gas tank/ turn signals... and magically the turbulance seemed to stop, wind noise dropped to almost nothing. Does this mean a set of lower windshields would help... Any one with wind buffeting problems/ solutions answers appreciated.
freedombird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
ggreene1

I have a National Cycle windshield and am rather tall. I've only taken 1, 100
mile + ride at 65 mph, but didn't really find the buffeting too bad. There is some, but I just kind of passed it off as being caused by my height. I think the reason it goes away when you lean back is because the air is traveling up as it comes over the windshield and probably doesn't get over your helmet height until it's back from the windshield a ways... Here is a picture of my windshield.
It might be the design / shape of the windshield too...
http://www.vulcan500ltd.info/bikepho...m&cat=0&pos=-3

Ride Safe...
ggreene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
freedombird777

Thanks for the reply, I like the way your shield protects the hands. Any way its not just when i lean back that the buffeting stops, but when i scooted my but forward lean back and raised legs on top/side of tank ankles above turn signals... Not a good riding position, but just experimenting with wind... Also if i extend my left arm out hand in front of tank wind noise is reduced greatly. I think i am distubing the wind path coming over tank causing turbulance.
freedombird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
ggreene1

Freedombird,
Could it be the wind coming between the tank and windshield ??... Is there room to adjust the shield down some to make the space smaller ??

Yes, I love the way the windshield covers my hands... It's amazing the difference, with and without the windshield. Takes about 30 seconds to take it off, so sometimes if it get real hot out, it's nice to be able to take it off for more air flow.

I also know that on my bike, if I put a real large bag of Cheetos above the headlight between the windshield supports it also cuts the airflow down, and very handy if you get the munchies...

Seriously, I hope you can get the windshield tweaked to your liking.. I have seen fork mounted deflector panels that mount on either side to cut down the wind flow too...But not for the 500... Unless you bought parts "A LA Carte" and mounted them.
Good Luck and Ride Safe...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
ggreene1

FreedomBird,
Check this link out... I don't have one yet... Just a thought...
http://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
jaxdwg

Thumbs up

Take your left arm and put it across your chest, like a salute, at 60mph. If that gets rid of the buffeting the wind is coming from below and up your front. google Jack's Flaps for the fix, and it's guaranteed
jaxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
bonehead

I have a National Cycle Plexistar 2 on my bike, and I was a little afraid at first that it might be too much shield for the size. However, I am really pleased with the way it rides and handles - - - the shield slips most of the air around me, and I haven't had any bad buffeting with it. The fairing for my hands works pretty well, also. We get some rather brisk wind out here in Arizona, but this shield seems pretty good in it.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
ggreene1

Bone Head...
Good choice I have the same windshield and I love it...
Ride Safe...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
les.izmoore

freedombird... I have the same windshield (National Cycle Street Shield EX) on my Vulvan 500 (2000 model), and I experience no buffeting at all, even at 80 mph. I'm 5'10".

I have the bottom of the shield 1/2" above the headlight, and about 1/2" back from the face of the headlight. I also have the windshield as vertical as I can set it.
les.izmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
maryes7

Default check out mine

You might want to look on the vn500 pics of my bike ( last page Maryes7). It has a slipstreamer windshield and I get very little buffeting. My husband used to ride this bike and he said it was great even for him. He has since upgraded to a v-star 1300 and we had to buy lowers and crash bar chaps for him as the buffeting was terrible. I love my bike . I can keep up with my husband and it is soo cool to be able to ride anywhere I want.
maryes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement