Washing bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Degreaser
Banned

Default Washing bike

I find that using liquid soap with cold water in a pail, cover left and right side handlebar electrical controls with a bag and electrical tap on ignition switch, the hose down bike to wet and I use a hand glove to soap down bike then hose off, then use a leaf blower for 10 minutes to air dry bike to nice shiny finish
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Hexlobular

Garage

Do your controls and ignition short out in the rain? I clean them with the rest of the bike. +1 on the leaf-blower, though. Mine doesn't take quite that long, though.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Ron R

I drive mine to the self serve car wash, spend $8 and that includes the wax cycle.
wipe off the seat and go for a ride to dry.
Ron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
nightfun

I use S100 to get the grime and crud off. works great!

and a leaf blower to dry.

I use pledge on my windshield and liquid glass on my paint
nightfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
TheKman

I use Magruiers Cleaner Wax, It cleans off dirt, and leaves no water spots it goes a great job for me.
TheKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Popeye

First of all go get yourself one of those brushes that come with dustpan sets they are great for getting into areas like the wheels and engine. Next invest in a good quality liquid soap and one of those pressurised pump spray bottles of about 3 litres, mix up some soap and water and spray it on. Leave it for a while ( about 10 mins) then come back and mix up some more soap in a bucket of warm water and with a sponge and the brush for the difficult bits go to it. When all is done a gentle spray with the hose. I personally do not like the leaf blower option as this can drive water into areas you do not want it to go. Chamois off the water residue then go for a short ride, this will blow out any of the water from the areas you cannot get to with a chamois and the bike should be dry. Go have a cup of coffee while the bike cools. I use Purple Polish for the chrome bits and some stuff called Butter Wax made by Armourall, it is great stuff and keeps a deep polish on all painted surfaces for ages. I also spray a little Armourall on the seats to preserve them. Some people use Mr Sheen furniture spray and it works well but nothing beats good old fashined polish and elbow grease.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

Last edited by Popeye; 07-05-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
edmKC

I've been curious about this getting "water into areas you do not want it to go" for a while now. Since I bought my new bike in the spring, I've been using a pressure washer to peel bugs off the windshield, lowers, forks, headlight and crash bars (which is 90%+ of where the bugs are) and then using a sponge and detergent to wash everything else and hosing that off with the pressure washer on low. I always figured that if the bike is ok driving in rain, I should be able to use a washer. Is this not the case? Where are the places you don't want water going that it wouldn't go by driving in rain?

Cheers,
Kerry
Memphis Fats Windshield
Viking Saddlebags
Palladin Removable Backrest/luggage Rack
Mustang Seat
SW Phatrisers II
so far....
----------------------------
(and now a 2006 Wing as well)
edmKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
DrNo
Top Contributor

Rain dosnt hit the bike at 1500-2500 psi though. Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
edmKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNo View Post
Rain dosnt hit the bike at 1500-2500 psi though. Just a thought.
Agreed, but my question is what are the places that I don't want to get water? I don't thing blasting the windshield at 2000psi is going to hurt it. Ditto with the crash bars. How about the forks? Headlight? Actually, I can imagine it getting into the headlight, but I'm assuming that drainholes take care of that.
Memphis Fats Windshield
Viking Saddlebags
Palladin Removable Backrest/luggage Rack
Mustang Seat
SW Phatrisers II
so far....
----------------------------
(and now a 2006 Wing as well)
edmKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
smokey422

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmKC View Post
Agreed, but my question is what are the places that I don't want to get water? I don't thing blasting the windshield at 2000psi is going to hurt it. Ditto with the crash bars. How about the forks? Headlight? Actually, I can imagine it getting into the headlight, but I'm assuming that drainholes take care of that.
Ed, one place you definitely don't want to get any water in is the wheel bearings. I sometimes use car washes, too, but make sure I don't shoot any direct spray on the wheel hubs. I would be careful about shooting it directly into any electricals, especially the ignition switch and handlebar controls. The safest bet is to use a bucket of soapy water and a garden hose. My problem is that I live on 3/4 mile of gravel road so if I wash it at home it's already dirty by the time I get to the pavement.

Smokey
smokey422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement