Kisan Signal minder installed on Vulcan 800 CLassic (video) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Pa. Vulcan

Garage
Default Kisan Signal minder installed on Vulcan 800 CLassic (video)

Installed Kisan SignalMinder.
Changed lenses to red to be legal for running lights/brake lights.
Replaced bulbs with Radiantz LED clusters.

Cobra Pipes and highway bars. ~ Custom paint / side panels. ~ Kuryakyn hypercharger ~ Drag bars ~ Custom mirrors, levers, and Baron Dually pegs ~ Mustang saddle ~ custom/lowered taillight/plate holder ~ LED accents
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
V&H Pipes ~ Mustang seats ~ Luggage racks ~ dually highway pegs ~ Light bar
Pa. Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Mambo Dave
Top Contributor

Sweet vid. The dog almost stole the show.

Definitely what every bike should have - or come standard with.
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter
modded brake pedal
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Dan S

That is such a cool gadget. I've been think about getting one. Thanks for the demo.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Pa. Vulcan

Garage

(Part 1 of 3)
Here is some more info/details. I forgot I took these pics when I did the install.

The Radiantz clusters I obtained were the 1157 socket variety.
First step was to cut off the connector since the rear socket on the 800 is a 1156. And they would not fit anyway due to lack of sufficient socket depth.

Add heat shrink to wires for neatness.

Strip wires. Tie the red and orange wires together since the bulb is a two intensity level bulb. The red is the running (low) and the orange is the brake/turn (high). Since the Kisan SignalMinder only uses one wire to control both the intensity and the flashing (meant to control the OEM 1156 bulb) we do not need the two intensity levels.
Then tin wires.

Solder on a connector in case we ever need to remove the bulb. Optionally you could just solder the bulb leads to the bikes signal wire. I went ahead and installed the connectors.

Heat shrink:

Repeat for the ground, utilizing a round connector (which will be clear why later):

The socket in the signal housing will have to be removed since the LED cluster will not fit on top of it. So we need something to secure the flat led cluster to. The OEM socket secured to two stand off/pillars.

--- Continued below
Cobra Pipes and highway bars. ~ Custom paint / side panels. ~ Kuryakyn hypercharger ~ Drag bars ~ Custom mirrors, levers, and Baron Dually pegs ~ Mustang saddle ~ custom/lowered taillight/plate holder ~ LED accents
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600

Last edited by Pa. Vulcan; 05-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Pa. Vulcan

Garage

(Part 2 of 3)

I grabbed a couple large washers from my hardware stash and cut two slots to line up with the stand off/pillar screws in the housing.

This will work perfectly as it even has a hole already in it to accommodate the wire in the center of the LED cluster:

Now we cut the OEM socket off and soldered on a connector to the signal wire.

Heat shrink:

More heat shrink, to cover connector.

Now we start assembly. Run the cluster wires through the washer, connect the connectors.

Place the ground wire connector under one of the screws holding the washer:

And finally secure the cluster to the washer. The cluster comes with double sided foam tape but it did not adhere to my liking so I borrowed the wifes hot glue gun. That worked perfectly. (also used it on the LED accent lights I installed later, but that's another thread.)

Replace the amber lenses with red (if your state laws require it) and you're done.

--- Continued below
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Pa. Vulcan

Garage

(Part 3 of 3)

The next two pics are raw camera files (resized though) showing the intensity difference. The camera was an SLR set on manual so the exposures are identical.
The pics really do not do the LED clusters justice. The first one is the stock 1156 bulb (left signal) and the 2nd pic is the cluster. The pic does not fully convey how much brighter the led cluster is and it makes it look a little orange. I assure you it is red in person.
Walking back to street level (approx 50 feet) you could see the stock bulb, that it was lit, but the cluster was amazingly bright and at least 2x as noticeable. It really catches your eye, even in the direct sunlight.

Overall I'm very happy with the clusters and the signal minder.
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Pa. Vulcan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The dog almost stole the show.
Harry-O is a cool dog. He is also very sick. We were told he had one to two months max, due to liver failure. That was just over a year ago. We have been treating him holistically (diet, milk thistle and other supplements, etc), since there is no medical treatment other than steroids to boost his quality of life in the meantime, and he has been doing very good with some liver function regained/regenerated. He's a tough little guy.
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Mambo Dave
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
Harry-O is a cool dog. He is also very sick. We were told he had one to two months max, due to liver failure. That was just over a year ago. We have been treating him holistically (diet, milk thistle and other supplements, etc), since there is no medical treatment other than steroids to boost his quality of life in the meantime, and he has been doing very good with some liver function regained/regenerated. He's a tough little guy.
Do you think it was commercial dog food that hurt his liver originally? I know that there are a few (some even well-known) brands that people are beginning to criticize for what they believe each does to dogs long-term. A holistic diet for dogs is best, but many don't have the time or money to feed their dogs that way.

Great pictures by the way.
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter
modded brake pedal
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Dan S

Sorry to hear your dog's having a rough time. Dogs are great friends, wouldn't trade mine for the world.
Are the Kawi turn signal lenses a standard size? I've got a signal minder on the way and wonder where to find red lenses.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
silenthill
Top Contributor

Nice instructional video/pics.
Nice dog.
Thanks for taking the time to do it,
Regards, SH.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).