Any Rotella T 15w-40 users? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Oil and Lubrication

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Pete7874
Top Contributor

Garage
Default Any Rotella T 15w-40 users?

Not trying to start another oil war or anything. Just curious if any of you Vulcan owners are using this oil and if you're happy with it. It does carry the JASO MA spec.
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
rkd2.3
Top Contributor

Default 15w40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Not trying to start another oil war or anything. Just curious if any of you Vulcan owners are using this oil and if you're happy with it. It does carry the JASO MA spec.
I use Rotella T 15 /40 in my 04 , bike seems to like it fine. it gets really dirty looking, fast but thats because of the much higher detergents in series3 oils.
that means the engine should be cleaner inside???
gonna switch my 08 to it next change. Then ALL my engines , lawn mower to diesel P/U , will be 15w40.

plus

04 Vulcan 2000

Old school turbocharged VW trike

VROC # 7003
ROG # 175
RKMC
rkd2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Pete7874
Top Contributor

Garage

OK, cool. I just picked up a gallon as it's on sale at O'Reillys right now.
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Hot Cruiser

I used it in my VN900 for about two weeks, beginning early last October when the weather began to cool. While using it my oil pressure gauge consistently read around 75 psi, even after riding 25 miles. The shop manual states that normal oil pressure should be 42.6 - 56.8 psi @4000rpm with the oil temp. at 90 degrees C./194 degrees F. I was concerned that the pressure was too high and could activate the oil pressure relief valve (I could not find the pressure at which that occurs in the shop manual), which could compromise lubrication. In an informal viscosity pour test the Rotella T had a noticeably higher viscosity than 10w - 40 oil. I drained it and replaced it with Castrol Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil 10w - 40 which also carries the JASO spec. and my oil pressure gauge now reads as specified by the shop manual.

Just my personal experience - no doubt other riders will have other opinions!
Hot Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
rkd2.3
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
I used it in my VN900 for about two weeks, beginning early last October when the weather began to cool. While using it my oil pressure gauge consistently read around 75 psi, even after riding 25 miles. The shop manual states that normal oil pressure should be 42.6 - 56.8 psi @4000rpm with the oil temp. at 90 degrees C./194 degrees F. I was concerned that the pressure was too high and could activate the oil pressure relief valve (I could not find the pressure at which that occurs in the shop manual), which could compromise lubrication. In an informal viscosity pour test the Rotella T had a noticeably higher viscosity than 10w - 40 oil. I drained it and replaced it with Castrol Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil 10w - 40 which also carries the JASO spec. and my oil pressure gauge now reads as specified by the shop manual.

Just my personal experience - no doubt other riders will have other opinions!
I wouldnt be too worried bout the relief valve,rule of thumb pressures for them run in excess of 100psi your readings just indicate that you have a strong pump and lower end engine bearings that are in excellent condition.
Im 40+yrs as a diesel tech, I dont recall seeing any catastrophic failures caused by excessive oil pressure. Some possible seal leakage , but even that is rare.
Id still prefer the extra detergent in Series 3 oils. I have wondered about foaming?? but it doesnt seem to be an issue, and Your numbers confirm that it wasnt!!

plus

04 Vulcan 2000

Old school turbocharged VW trike

VROC # 7003
ROG # 175
RKMC
rkd2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
ForestLake_900LT

Garage

Rotella 15w-40 is pretty much the only oil I've ever used in my bikes. It's absolutely the only oil I've ever put into my 900, the only exception was when it was brand new and the dealer did the first 600-mile oil change for me. I have had Rotella in it ever since. I'm no oil expert, but never had any problems either. Seems to do a good job.
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...bunch of other stuff
ForestLake_900LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
alienyzf

I have used the rotella 5w40 in my last 4 bikes. 00 busa, 01 ex500, 03sv1000, and now the 05 vn1600 classic. I have never had a problem with it, but I did change it once a year or 3k miles for cheap insurance with fram filters. All can be had at my local wally world.

Sorry just reread the title of post. I didn't see the 15.

2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic
2014 Ford Mustang GT MT-82
2010 Toyota Tundra DC 4.6L SR5

Last edited by alienyzf; 03-23-2011 at 09:07 AM.
alienyzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
lazarus

I used to to use the rotella dino version 15W40. I have switched to the rotella synthetic 5 W 40. The 15 W at cold start up was concerning me and the synthetic would be a 5 W oil upon start up. Not to mention that synthetic oils are just plain better at protection during cold start up were significant wear occurs. The cost difference isn't much once you consider the extended oil drain interval of the synthetic. I go about 3k miles on the dino and 5k on the synthetic with purolator pure one oil filter.

I am a fan of synthetics or even 'pseudo synthetics' like the 5W40,

rick
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Hot Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd2.3 View Post
I wouldnt be too worried bout the relief valve,rule of thumb pressures for them run in excess of 100psi your readings just indicate that you have a strong pump and lower end engine bearings that are in excellent condition.
Im 40+yrs as a diesel tech, I dont recall seeing any catastrophic failures caused by excessive oil pressure. Some possible seal leakage , but even that is rare.
Id still prefer the extra detergent in Series 3 oils. I have wondered about foaming?? but it doesnt seem to be an issue, and Your numbers confirm that it wasnt!!
On one level I would tend to agree about the excessive oil pressure situation, but if the viscosity of the lubricating oil is too high there can result a failure to lubricate properly, especially conventional engine bearings. Also since there is no published 2007 shop manual spec. about the VN900 oil pressure relief valve - only a manual test procedure - I believe that one should aim to follow the shop manual spec for oil pressure. I've seen blown oil seals on gasoline engines of various types which I've disassembled. I learned a lot from my neighbor who was plant lubrication and maintenance manager at the nearby Bethlehem Steel mill, and he rebuilt his own car engines, managing to get 125,000 - 150,000 out of them when others generally needed at least re-ringing long before that. He was adamant that improper oil viscosity was death for engines and that the worst problem was with viscosity which was too high. Of course you may be correct in your assessment, but I prefer to be on the side of caution.
Hot Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Degreaser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienyzf View Post
but I did change it once a year or 3k miles for cheap insurance with fram filters.
Don't use Fram oil filters, use Wix 51358 which is a much better filter, Fram uses cardboard and pieces might end up in your engine, which was known to have happened to a bikers engine
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement