Debaffling VN900 Stock Exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
27RIDER

Question Debaffling VN900 Stock Exhaust

Hello, I am looking for any advice,opinions, pretty much anything that can help me. I am looking to debaffle my stock exhaust or just mdify it. My bike is curently completely stock and I want a little more bark out of the exhaust but unfortunately at this time I can't afford to buy a new complete system. So I am trying to see if it is worth debaffling my stock pipes and if there is any damage to my engine or performance that may come from doing this to my bike. Lost and confused in Whitehall PA:
27RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
neorecon

search the forum my friend, there are several posts on the different stages of debaffling the VN900 exhaust. I'm planning to do Stage 1 and potentially Stage 2 myself this weekend (weather permitting).

Stage 1 -> remove first 'plug' in exhaust
Stage 2 -> remove end plate and drill holes in baffle
Stage 3 -> remove baffle completely

Do it in stages because you can't go back once its done.
neorecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

If you Google (debaffle Vulcan 900) you will find lots of links on how to do this. Even some videos on Youtube.

Basically, there are 3 stages.
1 - knock or drill out little screen in the center pipe (really easy - 30mins)
2 - cut away the black caps around the center pipe, cut off the end of the center pipe, drill 4-8 1/2" diameter holes in the rear baffle plate that surrounds the center pipe (a little harder and requires some special tools such as drills and metal cutting electric saw - 1hour)
3 - entirely cut out the rear baffle plate with a metal cutting hole saw (about the same difficulty as stage 2)

Some people will go to another level and knock out the catalyst screen at the front of the exhaust as well. And I have also heard of people grinding off the weld at the front of the muffler section to get inside and remove everything. Then they re-weld it in place.

As for sound...
1 - A little louder, but not much. Mainly you can hear some of the popping the engine does naturally that is masked by the stock setup.
2 - Moderately louder. You will notice a good difference when the engine is pulling hard. But it is still quiet enough to hold a conversation with your buddy at the stoplight.
3/4 - I haven't gone this far yet, but people say it is a lot louder. Some people also say it is a raw, untuned sound compared to an aftermarket exhaust. But that is a matter of opinion.

Good luck.
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Amerimutt

For those (like me) that can't follow articulated text...there's always Youtube! There's a few knuckle heads that show you how it's done...and there's a few that show you how not to do it? One guy shows you how to take off the shields pretty clean.
Amerimutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
supercub

You wont be disappointed i did this to mine an love it...an saved myself alot of money...did not have to buy pipes
supercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
27RIDER

Thanks for the feed back is there any problems with doing this to your bike though such as performance issues or any engine problems....just seems like it would cause problems....
27RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
demarcojoe13

I have another question regarding this topic. Does this add any performance? Does adding a power command module after a mod like this have any positive effect?
demarcojoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarcojoe13 View Post
I have another question regarding this topic. Does this add any performance? Does adding a power command module after a mod like this have any positive effect?
When I debaffled mine (all three stages) I never experienced any power gain in any way, shape or form.The only thing I did do was realize I should have stayed at stage 2 with 4 holes drilled. Now I have a set of debaffled pipes in my garage that nobody seems to want, including me.

I did experience a power gain with a set of pipes, BAK, and a fuel controller though.

Last edited by KenDawg; 03-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
KenDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
HueySAR

I recently drilled some holes into my baffles and now I'm having trouble starting. I drilled 4 holes at first but wanted it a little bit louder, so I drilled 4 more. I didn't seem to have this problem when I only had the 4 holes drilled but now that their is 8, it seems to take forever to start. Has anyone else had this problem after drilling the holes? Any suggestions for how to fix it? It sounds a hundred times better then the stock, just need to get past this starting problem. I did this to my 07' 900 Custom.
HueySAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Toddster

In short do your homework by reading as much as you can. Many of us have successfully debaffled our stock exhaust and have had little to no problems from doing it.

Have a great riding season!
07 VN900 Classic VROC #33496
Custom Paint
ISO Grips, Throttle Boss
Baron highway bar, ISO highway pegs
Mustang Seat
DDM HID 6000K H4
Metzler 880 front, Darkside, Dyna Beads
K&N Air Filter, Gutted air box, Throttle Plate Mod
Hard Krome Staggered Dragsters
Fi2000r 2-2-1
Kuryakyn 'Triple Whammy'
Stebel TM80 horns

Last edited by Toddster; 03-18-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement