Front/Rear Lowering Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
swimbikerun247

Default Front/Rear Lowering Question

I'm looking to buy a 230 Avon rear tire and a lowering kit for my 09 900 Custom SE. When you guys lower the rear two inches what would you suggest lowering the front and how do you go about doing it?
swimbikerun247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

I would suggest lowering the rear only at first and riding it like that for a bit. I ended up leaving the front alone. Mine's a Classic, FWIW.

If you're getting a Scootworks kit, the instructions include a how-to for lowering the front by either trimming the stock springs or buying new ones.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
diehard rider
Top Contributor

If i may ask a question that i have wondering about is whats the point of lowering your bike, and wouldn't that give it a ruffer ride?
diehard rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
bigsarge2012
Top Contributor

la choppers says this one will work for the front.

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...559/index.html
bigsarge2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
twp

Garage

Yea why do you want to lower it when you put a 230 rear tire on?
twp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbikerun247 View Post
I'm looking to buy a 230 Avon rear tire and a lowering kit for my 09 900 Custom SE. When you guys lower the rear two inches what would you suggest lowering the front and how do you go about doing it?
I'd agree with Bill. Leave it be for a bit and see how you like it. I lowered my Custom 1-1/2" at the rear shock and left the front alone. I'm quite happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
If i may ask a question that i have wondering about is whats the point of lowering your bike, and wouldn't that give it a ruffer ride?
Two reasons. One is purely cosmetic. I (and others) just don't like to see the big gap between the top of the tire and the fender. I prefer seeing it tucked up. Another is to reduce the reduce seat height. This makes you feel like you're sitting "in" the bike and allows easier leg reach to the ground.

Some might argue it lowers the center of gravity, but in the case of the custom, i feel that's sort of a moot point.

As far as it being a rougher ride, not in my experience. The shock is still as adjustable for a firmer/softer ride as it was before.

The concern with lowering a bike in the rear is whether or not you have enough clearance inside the fender. You don't want to be banging into the fender as you go over bumps.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
addco

I actually just put the 230 on last night and I lowered the rear 2". The 230 tire ends up being about an inch taller overall or 1/2" in ride height. Lowering it will not only look better but lower your center of gravity.
addco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
swimbikerun247

One thing I've also been wondering about, that goes along with this question, is about adding a 6 degree triple tree to the front. In essence won't that lower the front of the bike some?

My goals right now are 230 tire, 2" lowering kit, 6 degree triple tree, and cobra exhaust.
swimbikerun247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Breizh

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbikerun247 View Post
One thing I've also been wondering about, that goes along with this question, is about adding a 6 degree triple tree to the front. In essence won't that lower the front of the bike some?
I've seen 2 different type of kits for that: one with and one without fork extensions. The one without extension does lower the front of the bike.
2009 VN900 Custom - VROC #32967 - Sportbike defector
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
pjd52

I lowered front & rear of my Classic. Went with Scootworks. For the front I bought the Progressive kit that comes with a Teflon insert which you trim to your liking. I lowered the rear all 3 inches but the 200 tire in the rear takes back about a 1/2 inch. Lowered the front somewhere between 1-and-1/4 to 1-and-1/2.
pjd52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement