Oil leak??? HELP!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
kettlinton

Default Oil leak??? HELP!!!

Hello all.
I am going to TRY my best to explain this as i have no clue about this bike as I just got it not to long ago....here goes There is what appears to be a oil leak from behind here(in the pic) I can't lift the bike to see it all the way but there is a line that runs in the back of this that appears to be leaking. Its not a bad leak, but is leakinging. What is behind here that lines run to???Sorry, I hope you understand what im trying to explain here I have the service man, and I see that i can pull the chrome cover off but what i dont see in the book if there is a gasket that i will have to replace if i take this cover off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
GR1M

See if you can find where the leak is coming from. It is common for the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket to dry up and crack causing a leak if the bike is only ridden once in a while. I just went through it last spring with a bike that was sitting instead of being ridden (98 1500 classic with 18,000 miles on it).

Your picture is very dark, can't see very well, however I do see the brake pedal. With that said, if itís the brake pedal side that youíre removing the cover from you will need a gasket. You will also need to remove the foot platform and frame section in order to take that side cover off. While you have that side off DO NOT STAND THE BIKE UPRIGHT, because it will dump the oil. Here is a link of how to replace the clutch spring which entails removing the side cover. http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm
If youíre removing the side cover from the shifter side you wonít need a gasket.

1999 Nomad 1500
1998 Classic 1500
GR1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
kettlinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1M View Post
See if you can find where the leak is coming from. It is common for the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket to dry up and crack causing a leak if the bike is only ridden once in a while. I just went through it last spring with a bike that was sitting instead of being ridden (98 1500 classic with 18,000 miles on it).

Your picture is very dark, can't see very well, however I do see the brake pedal. With that said, if itís the brake pedal side that youíre removing the cover from you will need a gasket. You will also need to remove the foot platform and frame section in order to take that side cover off. While you have that side off DO NOT STAND THE BIKE UPRIGHT, because it will dump the oil. Here is a link of how to replace the clutch spring which entails removing the side cover. http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm
If youíre removing the side cover from the shifter side you wonít need a gasket.
Thx, Yes this is the shifter side in the pic.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Hurricain

Garage

Well it looks to me to be the left side and that is just a cover and you can take it off with out needing a gasket it is just a cover, could be the clutch rod seal or a plug/cap on the final drive is leaking. fairly easy to take cover off to see.
Hurricain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
kettlinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricain View Post
Well it looks to me to be the left side and that is just a cover and you can take it off with out needing a gasket it is just a cover, could be the clutch rod seal or a plug/cap on the final drive is leaking. fairly easy to take cover off to see.
Thx, Hurricain!! Just what i needed!!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
GR1M

OMG!!! Do I feel stupid now! I just took a second look at the picture and seen the kickstand. Sorry for the useless information. He he, whatever you guys doÖdonít tell my wife that I was wrong.

1999 Nomad 1500
1998 Classic 1500
GR1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
Degreaser
Banned

You stated you just got the bike not long ago, do you know if the previous owner had put in synthetic oil? I've heard that synthetic oil will find a crack or hole somewhere if you got one that dino oil won't find. A switch back to dino oil usually solves the leaking. Just a thought.
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Windburn Bill

I know this is an old thread but i'm curious what you found was leaking. I just had to pull my left side cover and tighten the bolts on the hydraulic clutch push rod housing cover cause it was slow dripping oil on the carport.
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
kettlinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn Bill View Post
I know this is an old thread but i'm curious what you found was leaking. I just had to pull my left side cover and tighten the bolts on the hydraulic clutch push rod housing cover cause it was slow dripping oil on the carport.
Hey Bill, it was the slave cylinder, I had to replace the rubber seal and it was all good, the seal was $4 at dealer.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Windburn Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlinton View Post
Hey Bill, it was the slave cylinder, I had to replace the rubber seal and it was all good, the seal was $4 at dealer.
It looks like I'm going to have to replace the seal too. Tightening the bolts didn't stop the leak. 27K on the bike and I've had two water leaks and an oil leak. The water leaks were just loose clamps, not a big deal.
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement