Can i travel the world on Vn900 ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
fysl
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Default Can i travel the world on Vn900 ??

I always dreamed of riding all around europe ,and the world to, but now iam wondring can i do it with the Vn900 ?? can it handel it ?? would few acessories like windshield ,bags ....ect. make the journey more comfortabul ?? the handel bar position would it be uncomfortabul on long rides ?
i will not go alone , so with a pasenger can it handel the weight, 2 ridding with lauggages ?? Do i need a bigger bike ? stronger bike ?
if i do what do you suggest ?? even other than kawasaki ? and why ?

some say do not get an water -cooling bike ,get air -cooled because if something hits your water cooling system your engine and trip will be over ??? beacuse the water system engine will not handel running without water , and some countries do not have dealers , so air cooled is much better ? sounds right !!!

the reason why i am asking is beacuse i like this bike , and i think it can do it ?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
hayes
Top Contributor

Garage

the bike, itself, can handle the trip. As far as all the other questions, only you can answer them. I find the bike incredibly comfortable. I'd like to get the bars up a bit higher. If I was going to be taking a trip around the country, I would invest in the shield, as the wind gets a little overbearing over long periods of time. I have factory bags, and I can fit a whole bunch of crap inside them. I strap my leather jacket to the handlebars on the front, so that doesn't take up any saddlebag space. As far as the power is concerned, my 200 pound fat ass and my girlfriends 130 pounds is no problem for the bike. Even in the mountains of Colorado.

-Hayes
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
otrp

I have been around water cooled motorcycles since the 1970's and have never, ever seen a stone or anything else puncture a radiator. It is so rare, don't let that train of thought deter you.

As far as air cooled, they have been around forever and do the job well. In stop and go traffic, with high heat and humidity, an air cooled engine can get pretty hot. It can take some hours off it's usability, but as I said, they have been doing fine for many a year.

My two cents.
otrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

I read an article a couple years ago about a guy with a Harley doing the around the world thing. Started in China or something and rode all the way to France. Pretty sure whe went through Russia but also down through Africa for a spell.

Anyway, to start answering questions...

1 - I honestly think the bike will do the trip with no big issues. If you are worried about a punctured radiator, get a guard of some type and you should be fine. And if you are in any really hot places, the water cooling system will do you proud. Our bike has proved itseld just on this forum from frozen western Canada to the desserts of Australia. One good thing is that this bike is sold all over England, Europe, Australia etc. There are some minor differences, in the models but mainly dealing with the lighting. If worse came to worse, you should be able to get major parts in the more civilized areas of the world.

2 - Yes accessories will make a huge difference in your trip. Of a minimum would be a really good tool kit, GPS, windshield, saddlebags, sissy bar, luggage rack/trunk and a really comfortable seat. On the saddle bags & trunk, I would recommend some type of hard bags. Traveling around the world you have to expect rain and sometimes soft bags don't seal against Noah type rain. Other good ideas for accessories would be highway bars with foot pegs, passenger floor boards, highway bar chaps with storage pockets, windshield pouch, driving lights, etc.

3 - The handlebars on the Classic have always been fine for me even on long rides (6 hours in a day).

4 - The real trick to a trip like this is planning. You have to think ahead to everything you will encounter such as:
Weather - time your trip to avoid really hot or cold seasons
Local riding laws - Does Uzbekistan prohibit yellow turn signals? etc.
Breakdowns - can of tire slime, spare spark plugs, fuses, bulbs, spare belt, etc.
Local customs - Shooting at people on two wheels, not stopping at signals, etc.
Tire wear - start with new tires, but make sure you are not in some 3rd world country at 9,000 miles.
Let someone know where you will be at each stage and make contact along the way. That way it isn't 3 months before they start looking for the body. (joking)
Road conditions - Remember, many of these countries don't do road work but every other decade.
And to many more to list.

5 - Take duct tape and bungy cords.

6 - Ride safe.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 01-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Luciferiad
Top Contributor

Garage

The bike SAYS it's rated for 397 pounds of passengers and cargo.

I recently dropped 50 pounds, but last summer my bike would've had close to 500 on it with me, my wife, and our luggage, and we never had a single issue. I'm not sure why it's rated for such a small amount of weight. Perhaps in warning so you won't bust the grease fittings off the bottom...I don't know. That may be something you want to look into, however. The consequences of "overloading" one of these. I can't think of anything bad that would happen, considering the bike's construction.
Luciferiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
I read an article a couple years ago about a guy with a Harley doing the around the world thing. Started in China or something and rode all the way to France. Pretty sure whe went through Russia but also down through Africa for a spell.

Anyway, to start answering questions...

1 - I honestly think the bike will do the trip with no big issues. If you are worried about a punctured radiator, get a guard of some type and you should be fine. And if you are in any really hot places, the water cooling system will do you proud. Our bike has proved itseld just on this forum from frozen western Canada to the desserts of Australia. One good thing is that this bike is sold all over England, Europe, Australia etc. There are some minor differences, in the models but mainly dealing with the lighting. If worse came to worse, you should be able to get major parts in the more civilized areas of the world.

2 - Yes accessories will make a huge difference in your trip. Of a minimum would be a really good tool kit, GPS, windshield, saddlebags, sissy bar, luggage rack/trunk and a really comfortable seat. On the saddle bags & trunk, I would recommend some type of hard bags. Traveling around the world you have to expect rain and sometimes soft bags don't seal against Noah type rain. Other good ideas for accessories would be highway bars with foot pegs, passenger floor boards, highway bar chaps with storage pockets, windshield pouch, driving lights, etc.

3 - The handlebars on the Classic have always been fine for me even on long rides (6 hours in a day).

4 - The real trick to a trip like this is planning. You have to think ahead to everything you will encounter such as:
Breakdowns - can of tire slime, spare spark plugs, fuses, bulbs, spare belt, etc.
Tire wear - start with new tires, but make sure you are not in some 3rd world country at 9,000 miles.
Let someone know where you will be at each stage and make contact along the way. That way it isn't 3 months before they start looking for the body. (joking)
Road conditions - Remember, many of these countries don't do road work but every other decade.

5 - Take duct tape and bungy cords.

6 - Ride safe.

Plus 1 on the above .... i cant stress how much this paragraph is right on the money ...

The bike is capable of the trip, i did 6000 miles in 2 weeks, pulling a loaded trailer, 2 up 1250 lbs rolling down the road, temps up to 117 F, playing in the mountains to 9040 ft above sea level. read this report

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7867

it will give you an idea of what the bike is capable of, water cooled is a must and is the least of your worries. Take a lot of pics while your away, i mean a lot, far easier to delete them , than go back and take some more.

BTW,if 6000k is obtainable in 2 weeks, then 24000k is capapble in 8 weeks, we expect a full report b4 the end of the 9th week LOL

Good luck of you do it, Im already green with envy.

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Poncho Villa
wocka, wocka, wocka

Default To get the right Answers you have to ask the right Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysl View Post
I always dreamed of riding all around europe ,and the world to, but now iam wondring can i do it with the Vn900 ?? can it handel it ?? the reason why i am asking is beacuse i like this bike , and i think it can do it ?
fysh, well everybody has got to have a dream, dont they? The question your not asking yourself is "can You ride around the world" (regardless of which skoot)? Well, can you? do you have what it takes?

Since nobody else is asking the question, here goes; "Have you done any long distance traveling at all"? It is a reasonable question and the beginning of any reasonable foray into this subject matter. So, have you?
Lets say you have. How far? How long? How did it go? See what I mean? Traveling on a bike is kind of a learned thing. The more you do it, the more you will learn.. which questions you really need to be asking.

It won't be which bike is best to do it on.. at least not as part of the base set of questions. It would be more like, How much time would be reasonable? How much would it cost? What would be the best(needs a qualifier) route to take? Solo or with a partner? What about a partner with thier own bike? see muey better already!

As for which kind of bike to select is really dependant upon all the above questions, answers and a whole lot more questions and answers. As for me tossing in my two cents, The best skoot to do a world tour would be a beamer R series. yeah, one of those dual purpose types with the ugly aluminum square boxes and other necessaries. Rugged, Simple, EZ maintainance, a work horse not pretty or necessarilly comfy horse, etc. Parts n service for this model in more places than any other single mc on the planet. but you can do most of it yourself where ever.

but then there are lots of places I would just as soon stay away from anyway. out, ponch
Poncho Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
The bike SAYS it's rated for 397 pounds of passengers and cargo.

I recently dropped 50 pounds, but last summer my bike would've had close to 500 on it with me, my wife, and our luggage, and we never had a single issue. I'm not sure why it's rated for such a small amount of weight. Perhaps in warning so you won't bust the grease fittings off the bottom...I don't know. That may be something you want to look into, however. The consequences of "overloading" one of these. I can't think of anything bad that would happen, considering the bike's construction.
I believe Kawasaki rates the stock bags at 5lbs per side

... my bike is 1250 plus lbs loaded for touring with the GF and i on it. I have not had any issues with handling etc, other than i have to allow for extended braking distances. The motor, frame and suspension handles the load well.... fuel mileage suffers a bit.

I stick to proper service intervals and have them pay particular attention to the greasing of fittings, i suspect that that would be where issues may arise.

Cheers Maurice

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust

Last edited by whiting57; 01-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Luciferiad
Top Contributor

Garage

Hell, I haven't even had the fuel mileage issues myself. For my wife's birthday we took a 12-hour ride well into the mountains and forests of central Idaho, my plucky little 900 packing 500 lbs, as stated above, in humans and cargo, and I still managed about 52 mpg. For what I got this bike for brand new, I'm beginning to think I stole it.

HERS
2008 Victory Vegas Low, midnight cherry
Stage 1 Flash
Victory Performance Shotguns
K&N air filter
Luciferiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
Hell, I haven't even had the fuel mileage issues myself. For my wife's birthday we took a 12-hour ride well into the mountains and forests of central Idaho, my plucky little 900 packing 500 lbs, as stated above, in humans and cargo, and I still managed about 52 mpg. For what I got this bike for brand new, I'm beginning to think I stole it.
I got high 40's under or around 65mph, @ 70mph going up the mountains it dipped to low 40's, still a hell of a lot better than my v6 cage.

Some good points Ponch .... long distance is a dream we all share, its a lot harder to pull off, planning is the key and endurance is a neccessity. Time constrants are always an issue for me, so back to back 600 plus mile days are done because i have to, not because i want to.

i am looking and planning this years trip now and am down to 3 routes that i would like to take ...

1. Cabot trail from Simcoe to the Cabot trail, to Maine NH, Vermont, NY and home.
2. Simcoe across Canada to Vancouver to Seattle and run I94 back to Detriot and home.

3. Simcoe to NY, PA, WV VA NC, TN, AR, MO, IL, MI and back home

The top 2 guarentee me some element of rain for at least a 3rd of the trip, i dont mind riding in rain, Im just not sure i want to do it for 5 out of 14 days. Planning is underway ... I will figure it all out.

Last edited by whiting57; 01-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement