Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Lowers for V2K

8K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Old German 
#1 ·
I was thinking about putting on some windshield lowers to block out some of the updraft from below the windshield, does anyone have them and what is your opinion on how well they work. Where can I find a deal, Ebay is the best ive seen at 116.oo with free shipping so any input would be great. If anyone has any pics of them it would be awesome, thanks.

#4 ·
Those prices that optomatt's site had were good prices, but I've tried lowers on my '06 and it did virtually nothing to stop the updraft. I have heard that tilting your stock windshield back to match the angle of the forks will do wonders to stop the "UP YER NOSE" wind problem. I am going to try it very soon.

#6 ·
^ ^ ^ ^

Night and Day difference. Do it. One of the best things I did to mine.
Don't know why Kawasaki has it at the wrong angle to begin with.
Didn't they ride the thing after designing the windshield?

Put it at the lowest position and change the slot to be L shaped so that it tilts back and you're done. You'll like.

#7 ·
I ended up buying the Kawasaki OEM lowers from ebay for a good price. The other ones dont look as good in my opinion. Memphis shades has a pair for cheaper but you have to buy brackets and shields seperatly and with shipping almost comes out to as much as the Kawi oem ones which are much nicer. Anyway I heard by tilting the windshield to the angle of the fork does wonders but exactly how do you do that. I dont have anything to really cut the metal so how is it done?:confused:

#13 ·
So the adventure began. I went to Sears and bought a dremmel tool and began the mod of changing the angle of the windshield. I took off the shield and had to take off a stereo which I installed. I went to my work bench and started. First I needed to figure out which head would do the cutting so I used a cutting tool which came with the dremmel. Took a while to cut but did the job fine. I didnt cut a drastic L shape but kept it at about half inch to 3/4 inch (L shape) Then I reinstalled the shield. Make sure when you cut that you make it wide enough for the bolts, had to go back and make wider. On the test ride, these are my results= Huge diffrence, almost no buffeting. I lowerd shield all the way and angled shield only 3/4 inch closer to me and Wow, it does make a huge diffrence. Thanks guys for the info and giving me the push to do it, Im very glad I did.

#17 ·
I didnt take before and after but my cut is just like the ones in those photos for the exception that he went a little further than mine. I cut about 3/4 of an inch. I will probably cut a little more but for now its almost exactly like those pics and works great. Highly recommended mod. Easy to do, plus i still have my lowers comming in the mail so that should help improve wind and buffeting as well.

#18 ·
windshield and lowers

I dropped my Memphis Shades back to match the fork angle and added a set of chrome lowers for a Harley Heritage Softtail. I had to put the lowers on the opposite sides to get the slot in them to go around my crash bars, but they are fantastic at stopping the updraft. I used a carbide milling bit in my RotoZip (same as Dremel) to modify the slots in the mounts.:cool:

Attachments

#20 ·
Lower shields

I used mine for a winter, at least, for the 2 or 3 months we get one here in south central texas. Still got a lot of wind up the leg. Took them off beginning of this summer, big reduction in up draft. I believe the lowers pushed more air on the road that then came back up my pants. Won't use 'em this year. Hand shields worked great.

#23 ·
Does anyone have a pattern they can either post or email me of a set of the bigger lowers ?
I tilted my windshield back > same angle as the forks < by removing the 2 lower bolts, loosening the 2 top ones and tilt the windshield the chrome arms will come forward , i then put the bolts in and added a 1 in piece if metal with a hole on each end and bolted them up. When i installed my risers i then used the factory handle bar caps as the spacer i needed. Looks better since they are chrome, it took about 8 minutes to do this and i didnt have to buy tools or cut anything> here is a link to pics >>. Bulldozer

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8689

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.