Sidecar... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
grampa

Question Sidecar...

I've been giving some serious thought about adding a sidecar to my '08 900 Classic LT. Is the 900 big enough to handle the extra wgt. of the sidecar and avg. size passanger? Any thoughts and/or suggestions ???

Last edited by grampa; 11-05-2010 at 12:36 AM.
grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Rajincajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa View Post
I've been giving some serious thought about adding a sidecar to my '08 900 Classic LT. Is the 900 big enough to handle the extra wgt. of the sidecar and avg. size passanger? Any thoughts and/or suggestions ???
Side car?? Hmmm kind of intresting and I believe that the bike has the power. Change the exhaust and intake and it will for sure.

~R~

**Old
2008 VN900 Custom
Hellion Exhaust Pipes.
Tornado Intake.
Fuel Controller.
Its paid for and it runs.
Rajincajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Kerry
Premium Member

The only experience that I have with a sidecar is over 30 years old.... A riding buddy of mine had a 750 Honda with a sidecar that he drove for over 2 years, including the winter months in Ohio. The bike had plenty of power to run the side car. I also had a 750 Honda, so I knew the capabilities of that bike. Keep in mind that in those days, the national speed limit was 55. I rather doubt that the vn900 would handle a sidecar very well at the freeway speed limits of today.

For local running at the lower speeds more to the liking of the vn900, I'd think that it would handle a good quality, well made sidecar just fine. That assumes that it is installed properly.

I drove my buddy's bike, with the sidecar, a couple of times. It's certainly very different from normal riding.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Jeep Pirate
Top Contributor

I have seen several people on here talk about riding 2-up and pulling a trailer made from a Sears & Roebuck lawnmower hauling trailer and a turtle shell like you see on top of mini-vans. I am thinking the trailer with gear probably weighed 250-300 lbs, plus the weigh of the second rider (150-200lbs). If they could do it, the side car couldn't be any worse. It would be interesting to see how you attach it to the frame. I assume there is a hinge point or something? Anyway, good luck dude!
Jeep Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

My gut instinct says the 900 is too small... BUT!

Like Jeep Pirate was saying, there's folks here that ride 2-up and pull a trailer with the 900. Also, i know the Royal Enfield was (is?) offered with a sidecar and it's only a 500cc.

My guess would be that it would probably do OK with a well-aligned and set up sidecar.

Don't forget the pics if you go that route!!
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
I have seen several people on here talk about riding 2-up and pulling a trailer made from a Sears & Roebuck lawnmower hauling trailer and a turtle shell like you see on top of mini-vans. I am thinking the trailer with gear probably weighed 250-300 lbs, plus the weigh of the second rider (150-200lbs). If they could do it, the side car couldn't be any worse. It would be interesting to see how you attach it to the frame. I assume there is a hinge point or something? Anyway, good luck dude!
My trailer weighs approx 170 lbs, empty. Load it up, 2 weeks worth of gear and the cooler full, picknic hamper, additional riding gear etc, i would estimate close to 300 lbs. Riding 2 up , another 300 lbs plus a 641 lb bike ..... 3000 to 9041 ft above sea level in the mountains, yeh, it can do it easily.

Would i travel at 80 miles an hour, no way, but 65 mph will do me fine all day.

I dont know how much a sidecar would weigh, cant imagine it would be more than 250lbs.

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust

Last edited by whiting57; 11-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.
whiting57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
nitro57

I have been thinking about a sidecar but not sure about who makes one for our ride. Maybe have to custom fabricate other side cars. My daughter so much wants to be in one since every now and then my sone who is 10 rides 2 up with me on those nice Saturdays and don't come back till almost dark. She will be 5 next month. She always "Daddy, when can I ride with you and Damian?" I say when she is big enough and can hang on. I live out by country sides so it's safe enough. I'm just extra careful when my boy is with. Always extra careful about cagers.
VROC #33441
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22948095

Last edited by nitro57; 11-06-2010 at 10:13 PM.
nitro57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
grampa

I don't plan on ever having this bike on the interstate so i'm thinking that it should be ok at the slower speeds. I've put 19,500 mi. on it since i bought it new in '08 and it's only seen about 4 mi. of interstate. US highways are much more fun.
grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage

Well, if you're not expecting to push it at 75-80 all day, i expect the 900 will be enough engine. It certainly has the low-end grunt to get you going.

It would indeed be a very interesting project. If you decide to try it, post pictures! : )
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
MrClean
Top Contributor

yup, next time I ride out to Colorado I'm taking something besides I-70 and I'm taking my time. Although, Kansas is a pretty long state to ride through. Oh, it's not the pan handle of Texas but it do get boring.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement