Voyager Recall for Electronic Control Unit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
hank43

Default Voyager Recall for Electronic Control Unit

OK Folks, I just received a recall from Kawasaki for my 2009 VN1700 Voyager to have the :Electronic Control Unit Replaced", due to stalling issues. I have never had any stalling issues, I thought that was only on the 2010 models? Anyone else receive this letter? (Apparently, this was mandated by NHTSA?)
hank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank43 View Post
OK Folks, I just received a recall from Kawasaki for my 2009 VN1700 Voyager to have the :Electronic Control Unit Replaced", due to stalling issues. I have never had any stalling issues, I thought that was only on the 2010 models? Anyone else receive this letter? (Apparently, this was mandated by NHTSA?)
See the sticky at the top of the forum regarding the recall. I have not received my letter yet, but Kawasaki emailed me about the recall.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Top K

My assumption is the new ECU will address the "12 second rule" for the '09's and the stalling issue on the '10's.
PGR
Top K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Guardian
Lifetime Premium

I received mine today, oh well, like you, I've haven't had a problem with stalling either. I'll have it replaced.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Hog Heaven

Got my recall yesterday. Postmarked 10/29 from Santa Ana, California. Now I have something to show my dealer. He was not aware of the recall when I called yesterday. I am hoping it will take care of the 12 second rule on the '09s. The only thing that has ever happened with mine in over 10000 miles is the first five minutes or so, when I pull up to a stop sign or light, she races at 1500 to 2000 for five seconds or so before coming down to idle. If it fixes that, I will be TOTALLY happy....if not....I'm still VERY happy with her!
Yamaha Venture trunk rack
Heated grips
Tourmaster heated jacket liners
On board air compressor for shocks
iPod kit (with Touch) and intercom
Headlight modulator (Diamond Star)
Brake light flasher
Sons of God MC
Hog Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
JerseyMonte

Default Recieved Recall and survey same day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
I received mine today, oh well, like you, I've haven't had a problem with stalling either. I'll have it replaced.
Recieved yesterday I commend Kawy for their fairly quick response to the problem. I had two incidents with mine one causing injury and damage to the bike, but thats a whole different story.
On a M109 forum there are hundereds of posts for clutch and transmission
problems with a class action suit in progress Suzuki doesn't aknowledge
any problems exist and refuse to do anything even declining some warranty
work due to [they say] abuse.
That model came out in 2006 and so far no improvements or upgrades were done up to and including 2011 models.
One recall was issued for a fuel leak, yes mine did leak.
It seems as though Kawy uses input from owners to make the product better.
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
raw6464

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMonte View Post
It seems as though Kawy uses input from owners to make the product better.

It was the filing of complaints by the owners to the NHTSA that got Kawi off their ass. When the issue is labeled as "safety" by the NHTSA, Kawi had no wiggle room. I'm not saying Kawi would not have fixed it but they knew about the problem for 2 model years and NOTHING was done... not even acknowledging it. Their response and attention sure went up a notch when the complaints to the NHTSA began. Thank all the people who filed these complaints... they're the ones who got the issue off the dime.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Hog Heaven

OK Guys,

Just talked to my dealer, and the replacement ECU part numbers are:
999990321, and 999990323. He was not sure of the difference, but stated that it must be by either model or VIN, because both parts were for 2009s and 2010s. I asked about the LT vs Nomad/Voyager, but he didn't know.
Yamaha Venture trunk rack
Heated grips
Tourmaster heated jacket liners
On board air compressor for shocks
iPod kit (with Touch) and intercom
Headlight modulator (Diamond Star)
Brake light flasher
Sons of God MC
Hog Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
porubcanm

Just got my letter of the recall for stalling yesterday. Do not drive the bike, how am I supposed to get it 50 miles to the dealer? I think this is just an overreaction to the Toyota throttle issue. I have a computer controlled throttle in both my 2010 Subaru Outback and my 2007 Honda Civic. Both of these cars sometimes stall when you push in the clutch after decel. My 2010 Voyager has over 7,000 miles on it and stalled once, big deal. I have driven stick shift all my life and engine stalling used to be a regular thing in years past. When it happened on my Voyager I made a mental note, started the engine and went on my way. I am considering not having this recall work done. Hey the bike runs great, it will be a big hassle to return the bike as winter is approacing and changing the computer just might screw something else up.
porubcanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by porubcanm View Post
Just got my letter of the recall for stalling yesterday. Do not drive the bike, how am I supposed to get it 50 miles to the dealer? .
That is lawyer speak to protect their butts so now you will have a harder time winning a lawsuit because you were informed.

If I were you I would wait to do the recall untill spring. That way you will get information from those of us that are doing the recall and riding all winter. There is no time limit on recalls that I am aware of.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement