cheap vs. expensive tires, is there a difference?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Pagman

Default cheap vs. expensive tires, is there a difference??

Other than showing off a name brand, is there really a big difference between inexpensive tires and costly ones? For example, Shinko vs. Dunlop vs. Avon, etc. Other than the notion of possible quick tread wear (always depending on how someone rides), what other problems could arise? I have some people telling me to spend money on good tires and others telling me to just get what I could afford. I would figure that once tires are manufactured, they must pass factory regulations and strict inspections. I highly doubt any tire will dangerously blow out unless there is a factory recall (hence, firestone). So before I regret spending more or less money, here I ask again... is there really a big difference??

Thanks,
Pagman~
Pagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Tires are the most important thing you can put on your bike. So, I guess it depends on how you ride and how often you want to change out tires. What kind of terrain and road conditions you ride on.

I put the Dunlop Elite 3 tires on the Voyager because I only want to change them out once a year at most and want to have a tire that can handle touring and varied road surfaces.

I put Shinko Raven 009s on my Mean Streak because I never ride more than 100 miles and am never further than 50 miles from home on that bike. I also don't put the miles on the bike like the Voyager.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Pagman

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I ride as average as you ride your meanstreak. The terrain I ride is limited to nyc streets, although now and then I tend to ride a little further. If you're doing well with the Shinkos, I may just consider those.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Guardian
Lifetime Premium

I know a lot of folks will say the tire makes a difference. I don't see it personally anymore, maybe 10/15 years ago, but they all have come a long way since then and it's how you take care of them, how you ride anymore in my view.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Eric

[QUOTE=Pagman;88999]Other than showing off a name brand, is there really a big difference between inexpensive tires and costly ones? For example, Shinko vs. Dunlop vs. Avon, etc. Other than the notion of possible quick tread wear (always depending on how someone rides), what other problems could arise? I have some people telling me to spend money on good tires and others telling me to just get what I could afford. I would figure that once tires are manufactured, they must pass factory regulations and strict inspections. I highly doubt any tire will dangerously blow out unless there is a factory recall (hence, firestone). So before I regret spending more or less money, here I ask again... is there really a big difference??

Thanks,
Pagman~[/We have alot of dangers to begin with as motorcycle riders the last thing we need to do is have a blow out or worry about cheap tires were using, i for one want to bye the best tire for my wife and I to ride on are lives are depending on them,weve logged in some great mileage togather in the last three years,ive been lucky with my tires always got rid of the stock tires and got the best I can afford! Eric
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Pagman

I have heard over and over again about lives being at risk when it comes to buying cheaper tires, but does anyone know of any death cases involving inexpensive tires? Firestone was considered a good brand before drivers were losing their lives due to the defect ten years ago, and they still are popular. I'm really thinking that cheaper tires are no different in safety issues as expensive ones (i.e. shinko vs. avon). The main concerns are factory regulations being overlooked or a tire design which is unstable, and that can be a good brand or cheap brand. Is it possible that the probability of cheaper tire brands blowing out will be higher than expensive brands? I'm feeling uncertain of that.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagman View Post
I have heard over and over again about lives being at risk when it comes to buying cheaper tires, but does anyone know of any death cases involving inexpensive tires? Firestone was considered a good brand before drivers were losing their lives due to the defect ten years ago, and they still are popular. I'm really thinking that cheaper tires are no different in safety issues as expensive ones (i.e. shinko vs. avon). The main concerns are factory regulations being overlooked or a tire design which is unstable, and that can be a good brand or cheap brand. Is it possible that the probability of cheaper tire brands blowing out will be higher than expensive brands? I'm feeling uncertain of that.
Like most things in life there are many choices out their,if one chooses to run cheap tires on a 18,000$ touring bike than go for it ! I wont, I just feel better trying to make my bike safer on the road, and have a better confidence in them knowing I bought the best, would you buy a corvete, and then try to put tires from K-mart on it?My point is this buy what you can afford,but if you cant afford tires on a bike this costly then you should own somthin else one can afford, Car tires on a motorcycle as well! Dumb idea just to save a few bucks, if one is that tight they need to ride a moped!Sorry it dosent make sense to me! Maybe Im wrong, just my thoughts
Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

My personal opinion on this is that as long as the tire is designed for the bike it is put on. Size, tread pattern, bias/radial, weight and speed ratings, then you are good to go.

The important part is knowing when to change out that tire. Inspecting it for microcracks, uneven wear, bulges, etc. It is the folks that run a tire until it NEEDS to be changed that increase their risk of a problem. And that is regardless of the namebrand and cost of the tire.

I had expensive Metzler ME880s on a bike and upon inspection found that I was getting cracks in the rain grooves. The tire rep warranteed me a new tire so I was OK. I've read of others chunking tire during a trip because they weren't inspecting.

So, you can buy the most expensive, or buy the cheapest. It is up to you to make sure they will perform for you through proper inflation and inspection.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My personal opinion on this is that as long as the tire is designed for the bike it is put on. Size, tread pattern, bias/radial, weight and speed ratings, then you are good to go.

The important part is knowing when to change out that tire. Inspecting it for microcracks, uneven wear, bulges, etc. It is the folks that run a tire until it NEEDS to be changed that increase their risk of a problem. And that is regardless of the namebrand and cost of the tire.

I had expensive Metzler ME880s on a bike and upon inspection found that I was getting cracks in the rain grooves. The tire rep warranteed me a new tire so I was OK. I've read of others chunking tire during a trip because they weren't inspecting.

So, you can buy the most expensive, or buy the cheapest. It is up to you to make sure they will perform for you through proper inflation and inspection.
Yah my stock stone was showing wear bars at 7,5000 and I didnt want to push to far as I ride almost always 2up I changed it out .Ive seen some in our chpt rideing on bald tires,really stupid! so easy to pic up roofing nails and such!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Pagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I think you prove the best point. I'm just going to say the hell with it and invest in something affordable. If cheaper tires are more susceptible to lesser life, I guess I'll personally learn this. If I'm still around to post on this message board, then cheap tires didn't kill me after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement