Starting problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Gershwin

Default Starting problems

My 1998 Nomad 1500 (carb) had occasional problems starting. All the lights came on but there was no action from the starter motor at all. I found I could start it by rocking it in gear so that the motor turns slightly and then starting as normal. I ruled out the clutch and side stand lock-out switches because it did start in gear and out of gear after I used the 'rock and go' method. I suspected a dodgy starter solenoid - or perhaps enough voltage to kick it into action. I have installed a new battery and it is fully charged from a trickle charger. The problem has actually become worse with 9 out of 10 starts needing the 'in gear rock on the motor method' to get the starter motor to work. This points to a fault in the starter motor or solenoid. Has anybody exeprienced this? My thinking is that I should remove the starter motor and clean the gizzards of the solenoid, which I presume is integral with the motor. Its a bugger to get to, but it is possible. Any ideas or suggestions?
Gershwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershwin View Post
My 1998 Nomad 1500 (carb) had occasional problems starting. All the lights came on but there was no action from the starter motor at all. I found I could start it by rocking it in gear so that the motor turns slightly and then starting as normal. I ruled out the clutch and side stand lock-out switches because it did start in gear and out of gear after I used the 'rock and go' method. I suspected a dodgy starter solenoid - or perhaps enough voltage to kick it into action. I have installed a new battery and it is fully charged from a trickle charger. The problem has actually become worse with 9 out of 10 starts needing the 'in gear rock on the motor method' to get the starter motor to work. This points to a fault in the starter motor or solenoid. Has anybody exeprienced this? My thinking is that I should remove the starter motor and clean the gizzards of the solenoid, which I presume is integral with the motor. Its a bugger to get to, but it is possible. Any ideas or suggestions?
Sounds like a starter. I'd just get a new one. You didn't say how many miles are on the bike, bit if it's 12 years old, it's living on borrowed time anyway.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Gershwin

41,000 miles. Yes, I am aware of the POG failure risk. The Judge's solution looks like the way to go. I am trying to find another owner ready to make the change so we can do it together. I am not confident enough to tackle that sort of mechanical work on my own. I will swap the starter first.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
sfair
Top Contributor

Do not throw parts at it as that method just empties your wallet and the bike is not repaired.
Rocking the motor does nothing for the starter.
Solenoid is seperate from starter.
If you do not have a service manual, buy one as they are invalueable to have when logical troubleshooting is the ticket to success.
If you wish to diagnose this problem, post back and I can give you some ideas where to begin.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Gershwin

I have a service manual (Clymer) and have read the sections on the starter. The symptoms are: turn the key and all lights show; press the starter button and nothing happens, no audible click from the solenoid under the seat that sends current to the battery (although I haven't tried this with the solenoid exposed yet); engage first and rock the bike until I hear the motor turn, clutch in, press starter and success. Unlike cars which have a solenoid on the starter to throw the starter gear into a ring gear and activate the cranking current at the same time, this bike has a starter that is permanently engaged and a starter clutch. What do you suggest?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
sfair
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershwin View Post
this bike has a starter that is permanently engaged and a starter clutch. What do you suggest?
Well, more no than yes. The starter has an over-running clutch of which the engine has no control over. Rocking the engine will not engage/affect the starter in any manner.

What could be happening, though, is by engaging a gear, you are disturbing a dirty starter interlock switch and it becomes functional.

On next start-up, monitor yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid for 12v when you push the starter switch. No 12v, you have an upstream problem.

Post back with your results.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
drob

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a set of contacts in the key switch. Same as yours, my guage lights would come on but it would not start. I was looking everywhere but the key switch when I noticed if I pushed in on the switch it would start. It was a very easy fix on my bike ('00 1500 Classic). Switch was easily disassembled, contacts cleaned and back together in about 30 minutes.
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Gershwin

Start up today. Bike in neutral, all lights on, nothing. Pull clutch in = starts. This indicates that the clutch interlock switch is likely to be the problem. Will pull it apart and clean it over the weekend and see how I go.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Gershwin

All sorted. Turned out to be a fault in the clutch interlock switch. A spray of the insieds with electrical contacts cleaner fixed it. Back to normal starting process now - no need for the clutch to be 'in' unless its in gear. Cheers.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
sfair
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back and glad you got it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement