pog - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
mikeyger

Default pog

I have a 99 nomad and have 39000 miles on it. Does anyone have hi milage on thier 1500 with the pog. My bike runs great but I thiought of getting the jog from the judge and putting on this winter. When I talked to him he said I had went over the average miles and just keep a eye on it or do what I feel best. Most say change it on out and others say it may go on a long time . I was thinking of changing it when my clutch needs repair . On some sites I have seen where some bikes went over 100000 miles without failure I think the rate is around 17 percent that fail I do not ride on long trips but was wondering if anyone has a pog with lots of mileage. I do know kawasaki use to use plastic oil gears without any issues for years like many cars still do today . Thanks for your time!!
mikeyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
hiskid

I don't have high miles on my bike, but after seeing what the cost for repairs when the pog did fail, I decided for peace of mind to replace it. It was worth the $250. Don't watch the oil light any more. That and also thinking of how to get my bike home if it did fail. Also didn't see too many folks who were able to get the clutch in and the bike shut off before too much damage to the engine. The pog is kinda like the timing belt on an older honda. Change it before it "needs" it. Also keep in mind that there is nothing you can do to prolong the life of the gear. Your oil is the life blood of the bike. So the oil pump is the heart. My pog may have lasted the life of my bike, but I'm glad I changed it.
hiskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
mikeyger

Default pog

Thanks for your time. I know what you mean. I think I will do this instead of worring about it. I was thinking of trading but I still have a lot of miles to go and really like this nomad. Was it as easy to put in as it looks?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
sunnybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger View Post
I have a 99 nomad and have 39000 miles on it. Does anyone have hi milage on thier 1500 with the pog. My bike runs great but I thiought of getting the jog from the judge and putting on this winter. When I talked to him he said I had went over the average miles and just keep a eye on it or do what I feel best. Most say change it on out and others say it may go on a long time . I was thinking of changing it when my clutch needs repair . On some sites I have seen where some bikes went over 100000 miles without failure I think the rate is around 17 percent that fail I do not ride on long trips but was wondering if anyone has a pog with lots of mileage. I do know kawasaki use to use plastic oil gears without any issues for years like many cars still do today . Thanks for your time!!
most pog failures are between 15,000 and 30,000 miles, so you are a bit outside the range. But personaly, I'd recommend changing it.
sunnybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
mikeyger

sunnybob Thanks for your reply They are in the mail!!! gear and washers and meanie spring and gaskets.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Bandit101

As of this past Saturday, I have first hand knowledge about the POS POG failure. My bike just turned 40k and has been running fine. I got it out of the garage and decided to run down to the store Sat evening. I was very lucky, got about 1/4 mile from home when the oil light came on. Shut bike down, waited a few minutes and started back up. Light continued to stay on so I immidately returned home and parked.
Pulled side cover, removed clutch and there it was. The plastic oil gear with all the top section of teeth stripped off.
I have contacted Bob about the Judges steel replacement gear and he said he would get back to me. Hasn't as of yet.
Might add that to remove the plastic gear I took a screwdriver and wedged the bottom of the gear to prevent it from turning, then took a sharp knife and small hammer and began splitting at the top. Rolled it and did the same again and it came right off in two pieces.
Bandit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
mikeyger

bandit101 when did you talk to bob I talked to him sat.23 and he did not say he was out and I got his address and mailed him the money
Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Bandit101

Bob just called me back this morning. I made payment and the gear is on the way. Will post back with results.
Bandit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Bosgarage57

I keep meaning to get ahold of Judge to order it for my 97 classic, it worries me as well. I jsut got a new(to me) Connie I've been working on though

Old Vulcan 97 1500 Classic: Drag pipes debaffled, Corbin solo seat with backrest, Lindby multibar, shark speakers. Soon to come: Caddmann intake.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
mikeyger

bandit 101 I guess we will be doing this at the same time good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement