Rear suspension air pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
FCWarrior

Default Rear suspension air pressure

My Fiancee has the 2008 1600 Classic and loves it. She is very sensitive to how her bikes handles and so I'm trying to get a sense of what air pressure other riders are using in the rear shocks. She weighs about 130lbs and we enjoy spirited rides in the Rockies. She is running Metzler 880s and has gone down to the 160mm for better handling.
My question is....what range of air pressure do you prefer and do you find the higher pressures tend to create higher 'stiction' from the shock? She has the rebound on position 4. Should we be looking at perhaps Progressive replacements soon? Thanks for your help:}
FCWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

No air pressure is for a 150 lb rider. Air pressure is for sag. Put too much and the bike will not be compliant on pumps and you risk the tire leaving the pavement.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
JerryH

As a follow-up to FCWarrior's question - it sounds reasonable for a lightweight rider to have no air pressure. How about air pressure when riding double - my wife and myself - combined weight of about 330 lbs.
Study your habits, for they will become your character.
Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

USMC Vitenam Vet 68 & 69
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

I need to sit down and graph the two curves related to air pressure to come up with something the average guy can use. Someday.

For now, basically you take 0 air pressure for a 150 load. Max air pressure for the GVWR of the bike. That will give you are starting place.

The other curve is with regard to road surface. If the road is smooth the second curve is not needed. As the road surface degrades, more air is needed to keep the ride.

Most people just do seat of the pants adjustment. If the rear bottoms out, add more air. If when you have the bike loaded down you now don't see through the same spot on the windshield that you used to, add more air. If the bike gets wallowy in turns, add more air.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Prliner

My two cents. Mine is a 2006 1600 classic, I'm 6'1" and 246 pounds. So, for my "petite" size I ride with 15lbs air in each shock and the rebound number in #3. The bike just feel great.

At the begining, (when I bought it) I left the factory settings for a while (0 air and rebound in #1)and I thougt to myself "I made a mistake buying this vulcan, this is not a bike for me". After the resetting, the change was incredible, the handling went from a nighmare to a love dream.
Prliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
JerryH

Thanks for that info Prliner - its exactly what I was looking for.
Study your habits, for they will become your character.
Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

USMC Vitenam Vet 68 & 69
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement