2008 Nomad 1600 Synthetic Oil or Not? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
JBSpook2010

Thumbs up 2008 Nomad 1600 Synthetic Oil or Not?

First time caller here. Love my Nomad - have almost 15k on her - have done the dragon and other routes and she handled great! I've been told by the Kawi Dealer that I shouldn't use synthetic oil in the Nomad but wanted to know if anyone else is running synthetic and if I should switch over. Dealer indicated that it wasn't good for the engine?! JBSpook2010
JBSpook2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
tallbassguy

I've read some articles in the past that state Mobil 1 is the best oil for a motorcycle...even the wet clutch will do good with it.
I have/nt actually used any yet because I need to use up the 3 gallons of conventional MC oil I bought.
My 05 1600 Classic gets new oil and filter every 2k miles until its gone.
tallbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
JBSpook2010

Default Synthetic or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbassguy View Post
I've read some articles in the past that state Mobil 1 is the best oil for a motorcycle...even the wet clutch will do good with it.
I have/nt actually used any yet because I need to use up the 3 gallons of conventional MC oil I bought.
My 05 1600 Classic gets new oil and filter every 2k miles until its gone.
Mobil1 synthetic? I'm asking about the synthetic because the Dealer mechanic that typically serviced my bike during break-in period and throughout the warranty told me that Kawasaki recommends conventional 10w-40 oil. He indicated that synthetic is not good for the engine. But in everything else I own the synthetic oil is actually recommended and used.
JBSpook2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Dent6

I just put synthetic oil in my 2008 Nomad . It has 15k. I was told synthetic oil was a great choice. I will be curious to see what others say. I run that stuff in all my cars and my three scooters.
Dent6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
five08

Since I got onto Amsoil in '97 I've always run synthetic oil and clutch/brake fliuds and shaft also. I have had absolutely zero problems and bike's seem to run cooler and quieter and will do same for the Nomad I just bought last week and it is the 9th bike since 97.
five08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

I haven't switched yet, but my next oil change I am going to put Mobil 1 Synthetic for V-Twin engines in both of my Vulcans.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
pastorgumby

The last word on oil (from what i read) is that it doesn't really matter... you can go synth or dyno oil and switch whenever you want. The only thing to look out for is Synth oils that have friction inhibitors. I like Rotella T full synth.
pastorgumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
kawmagnum

I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic for Racing Motorcycles as the v-twin was specifically formulated for air -cooled v-twins. I assumed wider temp ranges and looser tolerences for air-cooled engines. Perhaps an experienced mechanic can shed some light on the tolerences of the air -cooled vs water -cooled v- twins. I will tell you that the bike is noticbly quieter and shifts much better than the oil it was delivered with. I bought it used with 1200 miles and the oil was conventional.
kawmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Nomad Be Happy

I have an '08 Nomad as well and I switched to the Rotella T synthetic 2 oil changes ago and no problem. I made the switch after reading everything I could about oil on the KawaNow forum. Most of the folks on the forum swear by syn oil and in particular the Rotella.
Red & Black - because they are the fastest colours
Nomad Be Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
pearlcrystalwhite16

We use Motul 5100 4t 10W40 synthetic in both our Vulcans and we love it, with no issues whatever. I work at a bike shop and so I can get oil cheap and prefer to run the best I can afford.

One claim I heard was if you don't run Synthetic from day one in the bike during break in, then running a synthetic after a convention oil, is just wasting money on expensive oil since the bike was not broken in with synthetic. Can't testify to the truth of it, but I have heard from some knowledgable people on this one.
Advertisement