Fuel tank liner - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Delmarosalinda

Default Fuel tank liner

I have been working on getting the rust out of the tank. No problem but i noticed i have a bad liner. I have tried the acid that comes with KREEM and also tried muric acid. Seems the liner has a rubber base and acid just don't want to lift it. Any ideas how i can get this stuff out of the tank so i can put in the new liner?

(Anyone wanting to remove rust from there tank, Muric acid is great and cheap. Like 7.00 for a gal. at your local pool supply store. Be very carefull. It is a very strong acid that they use for swimming pools and to etch concrete. Just use like a pint to your tank and fill with warm water. Store it for later use or dillute the crap out of it before disposal.
Rinse tank very well and use a neutralizer then coat it. Don't waste any time as it will begin to rust again very fast.)
Delmarosalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
flw

Maybe but a dumb question but what does a good condition used gas tank run?

After enough time, you may have to decide short of opening the tank and welding it back closed, there is no good way to clean it properly due lack of physical cleaning space for a mechanical method.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
pickandpray

por-15 worked real well on my cb750.
pickandpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Delmarosalinda

Learned a lession. I tried the muric acid. It done a great job as far as rust.
liner still in there after 5 hours of soaking. Well, i thought, let it soak over night. Went to check on it the next morning (now about 10 hours) and found the bolts from the petcock (used for pluging up the hole) were laying in the bottom of the bucket. The acid ate the threads out of the tank that held the bolts. Ah geez, now i have to cut new threads and drill out the petcock. Worse yet, the old liner is still in there.
I'm not messing around any more. It is going to a radiator shop and i'll let them get it squeeky clean.
Well, at least my luck is consistant...lol
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Delmarosalinda

To remove the liner i used MEK or Acitone that you get at your local hardware store.
I have found that it would of been much easier to just not worry about getting the old liner out as the new liner would of attached it self to it. I used KREEM as a kit and stage two is, you guessed it, MEK. What happens is, it desolves the liner and it all goes to the bottom of the tank. Can't get it all out, plus you have a messed up tank on the outside. So, get your tank liner kit, soak it for rust (stage 1) go onto stage two and let the MEK thin out the loose stuff and don't worry about the rest. Go onto stage three. If you like your paint on the tank, protect it the best you can. This stuff can really mess up a pretty tank.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
pickandpray

if you are using Kreem, you should expect to do the treatment again in a few years since most who have used it have had the coating fail.

If you are able to disolve the old liner with acetone, you are likely removing an old failed Kreem liner.

There is alot of experience on the net using "electrolysis" for an environmentally safe way of removing rust from a gas tank.

The problem with Kreem and Por-15 coatings is when you are done you have a bunch of strong chemicals which is hard to get rid of.

When I treated my old honda tank with Por-15, I collected all the checmicals in a bucket and left it outside to evaporate. it has taken more than a year but it has reduced down to a small jar and I will let it continue to reduce until it is mostly solid before I throw it out.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Delmarosalinda

The rust wasn't the problem getting out, the liner was a major headache. It was red in color. How do you remove a liner and what do you use to recoat with? This question was for anyone that has done this. Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
pickandpray

probably red-cote: http://www.damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

Did you try to pour it out from the top by flipping the tank over and shaking till your arms fall out?

My cb750 had some black liner that the previous owner told me was sealed twice by the same guy in the span of a few months. I used a POR-15 kit to remove alot of the old liner and followed the instructions carefully for applying the new liner which is silver in color. 1 year - so far so good.

if you can find a good tank, it is the preferable alternative to sealing the old one.

Last edited by pickandpray; 08-30-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: adding
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Quimrider

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but I don't see the point of tank liners. My bike is 16 years old, has no liner and no tank rust problems. I just keep the tank full to prevent the condensation that leads to rust. Why not just clean out the rust, fill it up with gas and forget about it? Am I missing something or just lucky?

Last edited by Quimrider; 08-31-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: my poor typing capabilities
Quimrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
pickandpray

there really is no point in lining a tank if you can find a good replacement. If you keep your tank full for storage, there should be no rust issues.

All the labor involved in doing the liner properly is not worth the effort unless you've got a rare bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement