Gas gauge fix - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Tamj

Default Gas gauge fix

I was just curious if anyone has used the 260 ohm resitor fix to there bike to correct the innaccurate reading with the gas gauge on the 900's? I havent seen any threads with people asking about the inaccurate readings so i was just curious.
Tamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
KsVn900
Top Contributor

Garage

I never messed with it on my old 900. It was annoying, but I got used to it and right at about 100 miles either me or the wife is ready to stretch so we just put in gas too Not to mention I don't like to do electrical stuff, especially if it involves soldering If you have instructions, by all means, please post them, that would be a big help to 900 owners
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
KsVn900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Tamj

Its very simple to do, it has to be, i did it Ill take pics tommorow and explain it .U dont have to do any soldering.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
rpgpgmr

I have never heard of such a thing?! Please do post instructions on how to perform this fix! I whined about it months ago, but this is the first time anyone suggested there was any kind of fix. Our gas gauge is better than nothing, but it does seriously annoy me. I'm anxious to see what you've done and to try it myself!
rpgpgmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Tamj

Ok i finally got pics.First u need to get as close to 260 ohms as u can.Some people were able to find a 260 ohm resistor at radio shack but i couldnt so i bought a 220 ohm and a 47 ohm and twisted them together as u see in the pic and it ohmed out at 262 ohms so thats about perfect.Then u just take the silver cover off around your speedometer by just removing the one allen head screw and pushing it forward and it pops off.Then look for the connector right in front of the tank.U just need to insert the resisitors like i did in the pic.One end in with the blk/wht wire and the other end in with the wht/yel make sure they are a good tight fit.u can solder them or just double the end of resistor over like i did so they fit tighter.Some people just cover it with electrical tape but i used liquid electrical tape on mine.My low fuel light used to come on at 170 miles. With the resistor it came on at 195 miles. I ran it to 204 miles and the needle was just touching the red on the gauge. When I filled up it took 4.4 gallons. That leaves 1 gallon, and the needle was just starting to enter the red zone. That makes the gauge just about spot on. This is an easy and inexpensive fix. Hope this helps everyone because it was driving me nuts with gas gauge not working Here is the link to my photobucket its the first two pics http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk246/xvermonter/

Last edited by Tamj; 12-15-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: probs with pics
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Pizz

Thanks Tamj, that's the most annoying thing about the 900 and the simplest mod I've seen!

07 VN900 Custom - Black (for me)
07 VN900 Custom - Blue (for the wife)
08 ZX14 -Midnight blue
Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
rpgpgmr

Thank you so much for that! I'm gonna try that this weekend.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
Pizz

Tamj, what was the power rating for the resisters? (1/2 Watt?)

07 VN900 Custom - Black (for me)
07 VN900 Custom - Blue (for the wife)
08 ZX14 -Midnight blue
Pizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Tamj

YW everyone and yes Pizz it was 1/2 watt
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
rpgpgmr

Out of curiosity, what is the correlation between the ohms and the fuel level in the tank? For instance, if the fuel light comes on at 195 miles with 267 ohms (like Tamj), would it come on at 210 miles with 280 ohms? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical work so I was just wondering what is the relationship?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement