Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

25K views 160 replies 22 participants last post by  BigTim900 
#1 ·
Hey's Guys I am starting to shop for some Saddlebags and a Windshield for my 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Here is what I am looking for.

1. What kind of Saddlebags are you using?
2. What kind of Windshield are you using?

Any and all experience's you may of had with cheaper products.

1. Links to affordable sites with either Saddlebags, or Windshields.

Where did you guys buy yours? I am a serious buyer and really need both. I do not want to pay 400+ for the OEM Vulcan Windshield(I really like it) but it's simply too much.

PVC leather for saddlebags YES or NO?

Links, advice, what your using, pics, any and all help would be much appreciated.

#136 ·
I sent my docking bolts back today to the manufacturer. Cost me 16 additional dollars to remedy my mistake. 6 to send the bolts back, and 10 for Great Bike Parts to send me the correct bolts.

The nice part of it all is, I will get the correct length bolts because the kits still have 2 bolts that are too short. And by me sending them back I will get the right size bolts that are not in the current kits.

So the wait continues to install my saddlebags.

This has become quite a challenge. The more I ride my bike the more I realize just how much I need bags. ;)

#142 ·
Hey Tommy, the bike is coming along nice!

What handlebar bag is th at? I've been thinking of getting one and I like the look of yours.

#149 ·
Tommy,

How do you like the extra-jumbo bags after a summer of using them? I have the large size of these drifter bags on my Vulcan 500 and just picked up a '12 900 classic. Unsure if jumbo or extra-jumbo is the way to go for the 900.

Also- could you tell me which sizzy bar that is?

Thanks, Don

#150 ·
I still feel the Extra Jumbo's seem kind of small. They do not hold anywhere near as much as I expected they would. Plus if you don't have much in them they kind of fold in. I'm not real fond of Hard Style saddlebags but I do understand why a lot of riders like them better. I would without a doubt get the extra jumbo's if I were you. The large ones would look and be too small.

This is my Sissy Bar:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...aspx?SiteID=CSE_Shopping_14815&WT.mc_ID=80001

#151 ·
Thanks Tommy for the comments. I will likely go with the extra-jumbo then. The large ones I have are holding up very well. The lid does sag just the slightest if nothing is in the bags but I leave a Nelson-Riggs full rainsuit in there at all times. You made my size decision for me, thank you.

For the sizzy bar. I like the curved portion of this pad. Just seems like it would be more comfortable and is more stylish. What I am trying to avoid is a really really tall sizzy bar. Do you find the bar to be of a good height?

Thanks.

#152 ·
My old lady says the sissy bar is really comfy. I really like the looks of it too.
Here is pic showing just how much room is left on your bike with the extra jumbo bags. With stock pipes.

This shows the true height of the sissy bar. The luggage rack really helps the seat not look too tall. ;)

Glad I could help you decide bro. :D

#153 ·
Last question I promise. I went to order the sizzy bar and realized that they have a short and regular sized versions. Which do you have on this bike?

Thanks.

#154 ·
You know I'm not sure. I don't believe I was given a option of short or regular size. If I had to guess I would be 80% sure that mine is regular size. Short sissy bars are more for look's than real comfort. My wife says the one I got on my bike is really comfortable.

Hope that helps. I will try to pull up the receipt tomorrow. Had the cold for a few days that has rendered me useless.

#155 ·
Quick question Tommy, did you reinforce the back of the saddlebag before mounting with easy brackets? I just purchased Midnight Express Drifter's and want to ensure they are rigid enough to not need saddlebag supports. Any thoughts??

Thanks, I've been searching all evening trying to find some answers lol.

#158 ·
Hard street make a real good abs bag that is in the mid price range.I recently bought these and a Memphis shades batwing.Happy with both so far. View attachment 17642

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I really like the smaller type hard saddlebags nothing too big, kinda like yours. Yours look great. I'm not fond of fairings. I don't even like using my Memphis fats windshield. But on the other hand riding without a windshield on the highway sucks.

I have a friend in cali that just got a small fairing like the ones in sons of anarchy. He really likes his. I personally don't like the look on a smaller cruiser. I consider fairings goldwing material. LOL

That's what is great about bike's, we make them our own. Happy riding. :)

#160 ·
If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go with hard bags. Mine always looks out of shape unless they are stuffed full. I'll ride for 2+ years before I consider changing the ones I have. Your bags "ARE" actually much larger than I originally thought. I got the oversized extra jumbo's and mine seem small to me. We probably have close to the same storage space. ;)

#161 ·
Yeah I couldn't remember the actual size mine are.they measure22/9.5/12. I like them a lot more than stock.I looked at a lot of nags,both leather and hard,for the money and quality I found these to be the best for me.They lock and have rubber gaskets around the lid.they are water tight even at high speeds.The leather sag is why I went to hard bags.mine were sagging bad ( lid and sides). Weren't water tight either!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.