Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Headlight not always coming on

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Popeye 
#1 ·
My 2008 VN2000 LT Classic is suffering from SHAS (Sporadic Headlight Amnesia Syndrome).

Sometimes (50%) the headlight fails to come on when starting the bike. If I turn the ignition off then restart it OR very quickly turn the ignition switch over to "Park" then quickly back to "Run", the light will come on. Most of the time doing the "Run / Park / Run" method only results in a stalled bike that doesn't want to easily restart. It also results in the headlight coming on and staying ON while the bike isn't running.

I first became aware of the problem after taking out a swooping finch at about 60 mph with my left turn signal. It shattered the signal lens which I easily replaced; however, that's when I noticed that the headlight didn't come on. I have no idea if the two events are connected or if the headlight has been doing this for awhile; but I never noticed the problem until after hitting the finch.

Has anyone else experienced what I'm describing?

#2 · (Edited)
I had the same thing happen on my V2K a few years ago. It was a bad headlight relay in the relay assembly box located below the battery box (see part #27002 in below diagram). This box contains relays for the starter circuit, ECU, fuel pump, headlight and fan. If any one of these relays fails you have to replace the whole relay assembly box.

#4 ·
How expensive is that box ?
It relays starter circuit, ECU, fuel pump, headlight and fan,5 items ?
You can't just fix ONE of the items,say the fuel pump,but you have to replace everything ?

JJ

#5 ·
How expensive is that box ?
It relays starter circuit, ECU, fuel pump, headlight and fan,5 items ?
You can't just fix ONE of the items,say the fuel pump,but you have to replace everything ? JJ
CheapCycleParts.com is selling it for $85.25:

Kawasaki RELAY-ASSY

It's an all or nothing replacement. If any one of the internal relays fails you have to replace the entire relay box.

#7 ·
Yea the schematic shows them all wired together. I.e. the power to the headlight relay can be broken by the starter relay, etc etc.

Seems they could of still sold each separate though. I think it might have something to do with whether or not the current protection diodes are in the box or in the relays.

#10 ·
I have only ever had it do this on start up twice but once it was running no problems. What I did have a few weeks ago was the fan not kicking in and so one very hot bike. It turns out it was a bit of corrosion in the relay probably from washing the bike. It happens over time. Maybe check the relay and see if this is what the problem is.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.