Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Doing Touch-ups on Vulcan

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  HalfBreed 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

The rear end of the gas tank, the part where it is hidden under the seat had a few chipped parts since I bought it and recently I noticed a few tiny ones appear on the lower sides of the tank and frame covers.

Anyhow, since I love the bike and would like to keep it looking purrrtty, I am thinking about getting matching touch-up paints.

So, here goes the question; has anyone used any matching touch-up or brush on colors to fix minor scratches or chips on their bike?

Mine is a 2007 Vulcan Custom with plasma blue paint. According to ColorRite, mine needs primer, base paint and top paint (http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=2495290&CFTOKEN=97644837), then a highly recommended clear coat. I know this deep metallic color could require two layers but do I really need to use a primer or clear coat on top of the top layer paint which is supposed to act like a clear coat?

Anyone used ColorRite with good results? Is there a better brand/vendor?

Any helpful info from anyone with experience will be greatly appreciated!
:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I was seeing mixed reviews for ColorRite aka ColorWrong so I did a bit more research and came across these guys: http://www.paintscratch.com/

Granted, finding the color for my Vulcan or for any Kawasaki was not feasible as Kawasaki is not even in the list of MC makes. I contacted them via e-mail and asked why they had OEM paint for Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha but not Kawasaki.
Service staff was very prompt in their correspondence. They were able to find the matching OEM color code for my bike (2007 Vulcan 900 Custom - Plasma Blue). If you have a different year/model/color, contact them and they might be able to comply with your request as well.

For those who have the same exact bike and color, here is how you can order:
1. Visit the site: http://www.paintscratch.com/
2. For Year, select: 2000
3. For Make, select: Fleet
4. For Model, select: PPG Paints

As seen in the screenshot below:

5. From the resulting page, scroll down and select: Candy Plasma Blue - 926861
6. Pick the type you want (touch up pen, bottle, spray can, etc.)

That is it!

I will post to this thread as a follow-up after I receive the paint and test it.
:cool:

#3 · (Edited)
I've used the ColorRite product. I have a 2008 VN900LT. I needed the same as you...4 items for my two tone paint scheme.

1 - Metallic Diablo Black
1 - Candy Fire Red
1 - Base coat (for the Candy Fire Red)
1 - Top coat (Clear)

When ordering I spoke with the merchant and he advise that I choose the Touch Up "felt" pen. Like a magic marker. He claimed that they do not dry out, work well and last longer that the classic touch up brushes.

I ordered the felt pens. If the "nicks" are deep (you can see bear metal) than theory has it "Base Coat" is required with the suggested color (candy fire red) in my case. You can see the base coat in the paint scheme. Not often does it get to that degree. I tried with and without the base coat, the base is hard to cover. Therefore, I don't always use it. As for the clear coat, I rarely use it. As for the felt pens, they do last long. I feel more at ease with a touch up paint brush style unit, but once you get the knack it does the job and works. Touch ups IMO will always somewhat show As my dealer says, as long as your on top of it, it looks great. I find most of the nicks on the front fender and gas tank.

As for a color match, it's very good in my case.

#8 · (Edited)
I've used the ColorRite product. I have a 2008 VN900LT. I needed the same as you...4 items for my two tone paint scheme.

1 - Metallic Diablo Black
1 - Candy Fire Red
1 - Base coat (for the Candy Fire Red)
1 - Top coat (Clear)
Is there any point in having a top coat for small touchups due to stone chips etc? I'd have thought not. I've got a couple on underside of tank - colour is (I think) plasma blue for 2008 (october) classic (Australian if that makes any difference). According to wiki plasma blue didn't some in until 2009 but the polaris blue(2008) looks too dark although it's hard to tell from web pictures.

#6 ·
TurcoLoco, Yes it's an '07; I bought it in March'07 and that was the first year for the Custom. Looks to me like in '09 when they brought the color back (K Green replaced the Blue in '08) they changed the name and it must be the same color because they now list the '07 blue as plasma. When I bought mine the Kawa website listed the colors as Candy Plasma Red and Candy Sapphire Blue. But I can't prove it, all my original paperwork just says "Blue" so I'll chalk it up to old age and failing memory.

#10 · (Edited)
Steve, one of the ways to ascertain the color look-up and match for your bike is to provide the company (whichever company you decided to order from) the VIN# of your bike. That would take the guess work out of the process.

Is there any point in having a top coat for small touchups due to stone chips etc? I'd have thought not. I've got a couple on underside of tank - colour is (I think) plasma blue for 2008 (october) classic (Australian if that makes any difference). According to wiki plasma blue didn't some in until 2009 but the polaris blue(2008) looks too dark although it's hard to tell from web pictures.
From my research, I found out, if the paint is intact and looks decent, then all you need is the clear coat to protect it. If any of the color coats damaged, faded, etc. it would be best to prep the area, re-do that coat and then finish off with the clear coat.

If it is all the way down to bare metal, then it is best to start with primer. I ordered the touch-up primer pen as well but I think if you have a spray primer, you could use a soft foam pad or even Q-tip to spray the primer on and then use that to do the priming.

Whether you will keep the bike or sell it, if it has any paint chips or scratches, I feel, it is well worth to have this type of a touch-up kit.

#7 ·
I also have the same "issues" w. back of the tank scrathes on a 2010 plasma blue vn900. Thanks for doing all the research for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
#11 ·
I used colorite pearl white spray can to match my bobber's tank when I got a new fender. I would say the color matching was very close. Close enough that people could not tell the difference when looking at it close up. You could tell it was different when touching it as the oem had glossier finish to touch. I attribute that to me putting on not enough clear coat and not enough buffing.

I am bobbing my vn900c this month. Ordered spark matte black to match my oem color for the rear fender. I will post my bobber build so you can see if you like.

I would recommend that you do lot of research on prepping, painting, finishing technic. I think good prep work and patience will yield excellent result. Also build your self a painting booth to keep dust out. I used a large moving box and a cereal box (used as stand for fender). Worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#12 · (Edited)
After literally days of back n forth frustrated e-mailing with the PaintScratch, I have given up on them.

I don't believe they did a good color match. When I told them about the base coat color was silver, mid coat was a darker blue yet the bike is actually a light (plasma) blue shade then started accusing me of not giving them enough details. Apparently make/model/year/color name and VIN# are not enough. then they stated that they believe I didn't follow their instructions carefully and that is why the color didn't match.

Then they went on to claim that since it is a tri-color, it is very hard to get a good match with touch-up pens and spray is the best option, etc.
Sales guy didn't even know it was a tri-color paint initially. So after the purchase, he e-mailed me saying it was a tri-coat and that I would have to pay additional $$ for the mid coat as well. Even though their own rep screwed up big time, they had to nerve to ask me "How did you know your paint was a tri-color when you ordered it?"

Despite all my arguments and request to be compensated by letting me have the mid coat in spray, at least at a discounted price, they kept playing the blame game and pretend that it was all my fault.

Anyhow, I am out $50 and stuck with worthless touch-up pens.

Bottom line: STAY AWAY from PAINTSCRATCH!!

#13 ·
Turcoloco, thanks for all the information. I have a 2009 LT (candy diamond red and titanium) and have a small chip and a small scratch in the red on my tank. I'm going to get the closest color I can find from O'Reilly. I used their touchup paint on my 2010 silverado and it was close enough. Of course, they don't have "candy diamond red". A tank bra would cover both these defects, but I wonder how much damage a tank bra would do over time??

#14 ·
I have used Colorite on two bikes. One was a touch up pen and the other was for an entire fairing (spray can). The colors matched perfectly and the paint is excellent. Like any good paint job the prep is important and the temp in which you are applying the paint. For the spray can you have to shake it for many minute. All in all I highly recommend them. Paint always matched for me, including metallics.

#15 ·
@ momo & clumpster: I have experience doing paints, far from an expert but still decent enough to handle especially touch-ups.

One thing I wasn't aware of, which should be helpful to all those looking to do paint touch ups, if your bikes has a dual-coat (color) metallic paint like mine and the area you are touching up is bigger than an eraser head of a pencil, then do NOT use a touch-up pen! Instead, go with spray type because it is VERY VERY hard to get the color mixture right.

I am not super bummed as the area I was working on is under the seat and only visible when I remove the seat.

#17 ·
Can you help

I have an 03 Vulcan classic 1600 in the Black. where would you suggest getting touchup from? thanks for any information.

HalfBreed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.