Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Debaffling a Nomad

62K views 72 replies 37 participants last post by  08Hannigan 
#1 ·
Reactions: Jay99 and Mac57
#5 ·
Hey guys, i have an 07 vulcan limited with black "road burner" pipes on it, i debaffled them shortly after. A summer has gone by and the pipes are starting to loose the black color and get pitted. Is this common? Can i expect to replace my black pipes every year if i run it with no baffles?

#9 ·
I debaffled my stock Nomad 1600 mufflers this weekend. Just used a 2" hole saw (1 3/4" or 1 7/8" probably would have worked great, 2" may be a little big), and it was extremely simple. One cut, the baffles slid right out using some needle-nose pliers to pull them out. It took a little bit of time to cut through the welds, but with some patience, it wasn't all that hard to do. This was my first major mod to the bike and I didn't think it was all that hard to perform.

I love the way it sounds!! I don't think I'll do anything else to the exhaust after this. Maybe some intake and computer mods, but as for the sound, I love it. No backfiring or "popping" after this either, but it's only been about 15 miles since I did it.

Reactions: downinthefrontrow
#11 ·
Debaffling in @ 10 min

Just purchaces a 2006 1600 Nomad yesterday, and not happy with the sound.Up graded from a 800 Vulcan that was debaffled and sounded good. Read all your info and watched the videos. went out to my shop had every thing I needed and about 10 minutes later, had a better sounding bike. Bikes need to be loud enough to turn heads so others know your there for saftey. Thanks for the help.

#13 ·
i also debaffled my 2003 1600 classic, but it was much more labor intensive. after using the hole saw, i found that the baffles on my classic were welded to an inner plate that they passed through. after much head scratching, and a little bit of southern fortitude, i cut the end off of the baffle. made a tool with a pin the correct diameter to fit in the holes in the baffel. i inserted the pin into the holes and twistedthe baffle around the tool breaking the welds loose from the plate, and pulling the baffels out. be aware that a lot of mussel is needed to do the twisting.

#16 · (Edited)
After the debaffle, I found a set of stock Valkyrie exhaust tips on Ebay for cheap. They fit perfectly over the Nomad's stock exhaust. 3 self-tapping screws to hold them on. Even better sound!! They add a little bit more rumble as the exhaust echos in the tips before exiting.

I highly suggest anyone adding these on! Not only do they sound good, they add a nice "hot rod" look to the back of the bike. The exhaust now extends about 5 or 6 inches past the bags and is a nice big opening.

#17 ·
I gave up on my Classic Debaffle and bought V&H Big Shots.
I finally took the stock pipes off...was able to get a bolt through the exhaust tip...rigged a chain to it and to a hook in a rafter in the garge... I used the weight of the exhausts to lift and slam the pipes downward.... 4-5 slams tore the bolt out of the exhaust tip but the baffle still didn't move. Now that I have the Big Shots, I'm going to cut open the stock pipes and see what was stopping the baffles from coming out. I'll let you know what I find.
I don't give up easily, but after a good 4 hours working on just trying to get 1 baffle out after the hole saw step... I logged on to Dennis Kirk and got new exhaust for $449 including shipping.
What a pain in the butt this 10 minute mod has turned out to be.

#20 ·
I debaffled my 07 1600 nomad about a week ago...it has a nice, mellow rumble...it is nowhere near as loud as the average Harley..at highway speeds it is hardly noticeable but very pleasant to me...It took me two hours..I used a 1 3/4 inch circular saw, plenty of wd 40, lots of elbow grease, and bought a set of needle nose vise grips and tugged and tugged on them and it took all together about two hours of work..Unlike others I have read about, my gas mileage went down about 4 mpg so far...not the end of the world..I'll figure it out...I also have loud Vance and Hines pipes but they are way too loud for my taste..

#21 ·
Exhaust Mod

Easiest and Cheapest Mod I did to my Nomad. I also added the Valkyrie Exhaust Tips like Mattmo78, perfect combo for my taste. Heard the V&H setup, way to loud for me. Didn't notice a mpg loss but then again don't really track that anymore. Will have to take a look now.

#22 ·
Yeah! Somebody used on of my suggestions.

Ogimaa, sounds great doesn't it? I'm like you, I didn't want the overly loud exhaust, due to long trip comforts, but I wanted to be able to hear it. I'm glad you like it. I sure do! :)

#25 ·
No.....it won't run any different. Leave the bladder alone though. I would just start by drilling out the muffler silencers....then only if you REALLY want it louder, drill a few more holes in the baffles that are farther inside the pipes. I would be careful with that though. Good luck and know there are several that have removed the silencers and are very happy with the low sound that alone creates. Use the Gadget web site or do a search in here to get the step by step process.

#26 ·
Prider, I have not had any problems with my bike after debaffling. Runs like a charm and sounds great!

#27 ·
1600 Nomad Muffler debaffling

:)Thanks for the quick responce. I took our the sliencer or rear baffle. Sound great; well pleased with the sound. The bike seems a little more spirted. Maybe it is the "odd" cold weather we are having here in Central Florida. But no worries wait a few days and our weather here in Florida will change.
Should be in the low 80's next weeekend, possible hard freeze tonight.

:DP.S. I never learned how to use a snow shovel.

#28 ·
Removal of Silencers and Goats Bladder

Last Spring I removed the silencers "tips" (about 10 inches) from the end of the mufflers. That really started the ball rolling to great sound. Next I went to a muffler shop and had them fabricate a y pipe to replace my Goat Bladder. I took it out and am in the process of putting the bike back together. Now when it melts and gets warm enough to ride.......

Chuck

Grand Forks, ND

Right next to the Canadian Border Cold

#29 ·
Hey Guys,
Has anybody actually gutted the stock mufflers on a Nomad?I'm going to leave the Goat belly alone.I've already removed the small baffles but was curious how it would sound totally gutted.

Bill
It's still snowmobile season,can't wait for bike season....

#30 ·
//// I am sure there are folks out there who have completely removed the inner baffles. Although I am not sure that completely removing them would be a good idea. Maybe try just taking a 1/2 inch drill bit and drilling our a path first. I am not convinced removing them would add to the sound...or give you that much more power. Removing the bladder did. Good luck with your project!

Chuck

#33 ·
made the 1 3/4 hole saw cut and it wont come out like its welded in place any secrets will sure help
I had one side do the same thing. I kept at it by drilling it deeper and using a good pair of vice grips and twisting and pulling it out. Once in comes free you will be able to pull it out, not with out resistance, but it will come out. Try drilling some more and "roll" the drill a little to break the weld. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.