Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Auto Tune and O2 Sensor Location

19K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  wbilotta 
#1 ·
Ok, about to pull the trigger on a PCV with Auto Tune. Curious about the location of the O2 Sensor. I know the stock location is in the right side muffler. I'm considering putting it right after where the exhaust manifolds join. That way if/when i install slip-ons I won't have any issue with having to put a bung in the new slip-on. Has anyone done this? Any issues? Is there a pic available showing it?

Thanks,
Frank

#3 ·
Rusty360,
You are correct, the CA, European and Aus models are the ones with the O2 sensor. I should have worded it better in my original post. The location of the O2 sensor on those bikes is in the right muffler.

Thanks,
Frank

#5 ·
Rusty360,
That is correct. The Autotune comes with one O2 sensor for the VV. The Autotune then connects to the PCV and will adjust the fuel table accordingly. Trying to determine the best location for the O2 sensor.

Frank

#6 ·
Does the auto tune adjust the fuel for you or does it make recomendations to you and you have to hook up to the pc and change it yourself??

#7 ·
New Kaw Rider,
You start off with a base map. Dyno Jet has some on their website and others on the forum have been sharing theirs. The autotune will then make adjustments and you can choose to save them or not. You can actually save two maps on the PCV, one could be for performance and one for better fuel economy. See links below:

PCV (Fuel & Ignition)
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_maps_installs_product_buy_options.aspx?mdlyrid=17-033&make=27&model=290&make-n=Kawasaki&model-n=Vulcan%201700%20Models&year=2010&mk=27&mdl=290&yr=2010

Autotune
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

Plenty of post on here regarding the Power Commander. Maybe those using one will chime in.

Frank

#9 ·
AzCruiser.
Where did you put the O2 sensor? Do you have a pic and would put it in the same place if you could do it over again?

Frank

#10 ·
Combat I would put the sensor at the crossover or a little before it in the exhaust. This way it would read from both cylinders. This way if you decided to install slip-ons it wouldn't get in the way. Doesn't power commander show you where to locate it in the install instructions?

#11 ·
Captj3,
I agree with the location right before the crossover. I wanted to see a pic before I had the bung welded in. Just making sure no issues with putting it there. The autotune for the VV also fits other bikes so the install instructions are not specific to the VV. It just indicates to install at an angle.

#12 ·
I installed mine in the stock location Kawasaki uses on the Euro models. I'm not sure what's going on with my setup but AutoTune keeps pulling more and more fuel from my map. This seems very strange since we keep reading how the bike is programmed to run lean from the factory. If AutoTune is pulling fuel that tells me the bike is programmed from the factory with richer AFR values than the AFR values in the Power Commander which I find hard to believe.

I sent my AutoTune back to Dynojet to test and they sent it back saying it's fine. Yet if you look at the maps on the Dynojet website most of the fuel cells are adding fuel. Doesn't make sense to me.

#13 ·
Wbilotta,
That is strange. What mods have you done and what map did you start with?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had that setup on my GSX-R. It worked great for about the first 3,000 miles then the sensor got dirty and it went to hell pretty quick. My suggestion, use it through the duration of an oil change, that should give you a sufficient map, then take it off and sell the unit to someone else. Trash the wide band sensor and have them buy a new one.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
What does the O2 sensor have to do with the PC map aside from adjusting from its settings? Is this not an Autotune module that is an add on adjusting dynamically? It's my understanding that the Autotune module is just insurance over a bike that has been setup with a PCV and dyno'd with a custom map. The Autotune would just adjust a certain percentage based on the map already in the PCV. How would I get a custom map based on running the Autotune module for a certain period and then getting rid of it?

Had that setup on my GSX-R. It worked great for about the first 3,000 miles then the sensor got dirty and it went to crap pretty quick. My suggestion, use it through the duration of an oil change, that should give you a sufficient map, then take it off and sell the unit to someone else. Trash the wide band sensor and have them buy a new one.

#16 ·
Duff,
First I've heard of that with the dirty o2 sensor on here. Most of the 1700's seem to have good experiences with the PCV (except the Classics). I guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks,
Frank

#26 ·
Nines,
Thanks for the pics. Did you install the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold after the crossover pipe? Also, looks like you mounted it at an angle like they recommend. In looking at the exhaust that appears to be the ideal spot. The bikes with them from the factory have it mounted in the muffler. Will be ordering the PCV and Autotune tomorrow. Exhaust wrap ordered yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how it does.

Frank

#27 ·
Looks like the best place for the O2 sensor is where Nines placed it. Can change mufflers without any problem. PCV (Fuel & Ignition) with Autotune, K&N Air Filter and Cobra 4" Scalloped Tipped Slip-Ons have been ordered. PCV on back order so the waiting is going to kill me. Can't wait to get everything installed. Anybody have a map with a similar setup? All the maps on their website appear to be with the stock air filter. I guess I could start with one of those and let the Autotune adjust.

Frank

#29 ·
Mknnoyz,
Interesting angle for the O2 sensor. Why did you install it at an angle instead of straight in?

Frank

#31 ·
Got the O2 Sensor bung welded in. I appreciate the input and pics. Also painted the exhaust manifold with VHT Paint and wrapped in DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap. If you decide to wrap the pipes get 50' of wrap. I used their calculator and it said like 25'. not including the cross over pipe. Got the exhaust manifold wrapped (barely) but not enough to do the cross over.

Attachments

#32 ·
looks great

Looks great I need to do mine soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.