Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New custom 33 tooth front belt pulley

19K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Water Rat 
#1 · (Edited)
New Custom made 33 tooth FRONT DRIVE PULLEY to fit a 2004-2010 Kawasaki VN2000 motorcycle.
The VN2000 motorcycles come stock from the factory with a 32 tooth cast/stamped metal 2 piece pressed together pulley.
The 32 tooth pulley allows speedometer and odometer errors of approximately 10% (55 MPH is actually 50 MPH and for every 10 miles you ride, 11 miles are put on the odometer.)
By just adding 1 tooth to this pulley the speedometer/odometer error is reduced to approximately 3% (which is more accurate than most cars on the road!) Plus you get the added benefit of showing lower actual mileage!
Another benefit is a more correct reading for gas mileage! A 3% to 5% improvement based on how hard you twist your right hand!
This pulley is machined to aircraft tolerances from one piece of Chro-Moly Aircraft Grade Steel, it has been heat treated, normalized and tempered for strength and for durability and is exactly as pictured. The tensile strength of this pulley is greater than the stock pulley or any other pulley made for this motorcycle and will last a lifetime.
This pulley is an easy replacement for the stock pulley and can be swapped using the stock belt in about an hour.
Your VN2000 will perform better and have better shift points just by changing to the 33 tooth pulley, example 70 MPH is 2500 RPM about 200 RPM less than 32 tooth stock pulley, engine is quieter less vibration and higher top speed. First gear is now useable pulls further as it should.
$299.00 Shipping $12.00 Install $75.00 Contact bare@bellsouth.net Papal or money order or go to Ebay Item 320828001891
Thanks Bare

See less See more
#2 ·
You planted the seed. I always seem to be in that speed zone where 5th is too high, and 4th is asking for a shift. I seam to travel lots of roads around 50-60 MPH. I believe that pulley would make the VN2000 happy to stay in 4th.

Herb

#6 ·
New Custom made 33 tooth FRONT DRIVE PULLEY to fit a 2004-2010 Kawasaki VN2000 motorcycle.
The VN2000 motorcycles come stock from the factory with a 32 tooth cast/stamped metal 2 piece pressed together pulley.
The 32 tooth pulley allows speedometer and odometer errors of approximately 10% (55 MPH is actually 50 MPH and for every 10 miles you ride, 11 miles are put on the odometer.)
By just adding 1 tooth to this pulley the speedometer/odometer error is reduced to approximately 3% (which is more accurate than most cars on the road!) Plus you get the added benefit of showing lower actual mileage!
Another benefit is a more correct reading for gas mileage! A 3% to 5% improvement based on how hard you twist your right hand!
This pulley is machined to aircraft tolerances from one piece of Chro-Moly Aircraft Grade Steel, it has been heat treated, normalized and tempered for strength and for durability and is exactly as pictured. The tensile strength of this pulley is greater than the stock pulley or any other pulley made for this motorcycle and will last a lifetime.
This pulley is an easy replacement for the stock pulley and can be swapped using the stock belt in about an hour.
Your VN2000 will perform better and have better shift points just by changing to the 33 tooth pulley, example 70 MPH is 2500 RPM about 200 RPM less than 32 tooth stock pulley, engine is quieter less vibration and higher top speed. First gear is now useable pulls further as it should.
$280.00 Shipping $12.00 Install $75.00 Contact bare@bellsouth.net Papal or money order or go to Ebay Item #320751298562
Thanks Bare
This is interesting. When I got my bike the speedometer was off about 10% but the odometer was within 1%, I verified this with GPS. Apparently they are not off by the same amount. I would rather have my speedometer be wrong and my odometer be accurate. Of course, changing gears, pulleys or tire diameters will affect both equally. I suggest a GPS check to verify your own bikes accuracy and not assume that the speedo and odo are equally inaccurate from the factory. From what I have been reading, there is a wide range of variance in the speedometer readouts of all bikes, anywhere from 5% to 10% or more. I am curious to know if the odometers are more accurate or if they also vary from bike to bike.

#7 ·
Agreed.
On mine, the speedometer was off by 10%, but the odo was off by about 4%.
I bought a speedoDRD and corrected the odo. The ODO is now off by about 7% the other way. I personally would rather have the speedo correct.
I can do the math when I figure the mileage and oil change intervals, etc.
And as far as mileage on the bike, well I"ve got 22500 on it now with the inaccurate odo. I figure about 15000 miles from now, it will be spot on.
LOL!

If I were to do this mod, it wouldn't be to correct any gauge error, I'd do it for the increased gear ratio in 5th gear. Bring the revs down at highway speeds.

#8 ·
$280.00 Shipping $12.00 Install $75.00 Contact bare@bellsouth.net Papal or money order or go to Ebay Item #320751298562
Thanks Bare
I will be watching this thread, Bare, Are there any interference issues with the diameter of the pully and the stock covers and damper? How long have your run the pully on the bike? Did you encounter any belt noise? What about the cromo rusting, is it powder coated? I am interested in getting rid of the stamped steel pully but am concerned about the aluminum offerings. Your pully seems like a great solution.

Mrfix

#10 ·
I have had this 33 tooth pulley on my 04 V2K for almost four years fits perfect no interference with any covers my belt does not make any noise nor have I heard any complaints as far as the material it is not powder coated to keep the price down it would be about $40.00 more you could paint with RUST OLEUM. IT IS NOT ALUMINUM IT IS.. Chro-Moly Aircraft Grade Steel, it has been heat treated, normalized and tempered.
I have also have a 2005 D1 Limited which I put this pulley on recently WHAT a improvement I forgot riding my 04 with the 33 tooth and changing the 05 then it was amazing the difference which I took as normal anyway i am bla bla.
Bare out

#11 ·
Pulley Question

Hello V 2 Fanatic

Did you changed only the front pulley or the rear pulley too?

I'm going to make the changes in the winter and I'm happy if I don't must take half of the bike in parts to change to the euro gears.

#12 ·
I am going to order one of your pulleys but I have to wait until next Wednesday to get my other money in. I'm convinced already. I have also noticed that my rpm seems a tad high in 5th gear on the highway making me think, at times, that I need to shift again, which isn't true.

#13 ·
my 1700 Nomad has great gearing. in 6th gear at high speeds, the RPM's are so low, the bike just floats along the hwy. But on my 2000, I keep looking for another gear! I'm fully aware many vn2000's across the country have racked up countless miles in stock form. However I've said all along something needs to be done to lower the RPM's on the vn2000 (although many remain in denial about this). This appears to be a good mod.

The crazy thing is the vn2000 feels much stronger than the vn1700, and would benefit from a more forward thinking 6-speek trans design.

ahhh, if only Kawasaki made a second generation 2012 VN2100 Majestic.

G
#15 ·
Just curious about something. Changing the front pulley lowers the rpm by 200 at seventy. Does anyone know how much the euro gears changes rpm or what difference it makes in the gearing?

Seems like going with the front pulley would be easier then the euro gears unless there is a big difference.

Ride Safe

#20 ·
If that paticular metal is available and the number of pulley runs would determine the cost so at this time I don't see why not but who knows..
I DO KNOW THIS THIS I EXPECT COSTS TO ESCALATE ..INFLATION AND ALL THE GOVERMENT BULLSIT.
Bottom line I suspect this is the best price time and availablity.
BARE

#27 ·
Will making this pulley change make that dang belt squeal go away. I have gotten to where I hate to ride my 2007 2000 classic lt because to the belt squeal. I have had it at two different dealerships and they tell me there is nothing that can be done to make it go away. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
If I where you install a 33 tooth front pulley it is much more effective for city and highway riding.

HOW TO INSTALL
Remove front pulley covers, looking at the pulley you will see a nut and a bent over keeper washer flatten the washer remove the nut use a 1 1/4 in socket with a strong arm wrench or a air impact ...before removing the nut put the transmission in first gear have some one step on the rear brake or tie it down then loosen the rear axle slide forward then install the 33 tooth pulley put the washer on then the nut then adjust the belt to its proper tension install the axle nut to 80 ft lbs now tighten the pulley to 130 ft lbs bend over the washer reinstall the covers..IMPORTANT LUBE THE PULLEY SHAFT AND THE PULLEY SPLINES WITH MOLYBDENUM DISUFIDE PASTE.
I suggest adjusting the belt to 31 MM measure from the end of the threaded adjusters to the face of the swing arm that is in front of the forward adjusting nut, Then have a BEER or SIX.

If you are adjusting the stock assy it's 32MM.
Go to Ebay to buy pulley Item number: 320751298562
Bare

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Praying, pulleys will not eliminate belt noise of any kind....
It must be adjusted correctly, the belt riding on the outside flange will make a little noise from time to time use poly oil on the belt outside edge you can get the tube of poly oil (paste) at any hardley dealer it was developed for just this problem, i have used it for many years.
Never use any kind of oil on your belts.
Bare

#31 ·
Nice write-up Wild Bill. Although I haven't been here long either, reading the forum advice on the belt squeal/chirp helped me solve the problem. I was embarrassed to ride her for awhile because of the squealing noise from the belt. Now she's quiet and a joy to ride. Thanks to the advice like yours.

For me it was all in the alignment of the real wheel. The smallest adjustment can make all the difference. I finally bought a lift so I could get the fat lady off the ground and I could finally see and adjust the real wheel myself. Something the mechanics I took her too didn't care enough to do I guess. As little as a quarter turn on the tensioner can move the rear pulley quite a bit. Aligning to the same mark on both side and getting the tension I wanted then making very small adjustments so the belt didn't rub anymore was the key. WD-40 was used to clean the belt and front/rear pulleys before resetting the tension and alignment.

As for this 33 tooth pully. I want one bad!

#34 ·
[/QUOTE
HOW TO INSTALL
Remove front pulley covers, looking at the pulley you will see a nut and a bent over keeper washer flatten the washer remove the nut use a 1 1/4 in socket with a strong arm wrench or a air impact ...before removing the nut put the transmission in first gear have some one step on the rear brake or tie it down then loosen the rear axle slide forward then install the 33 tooth pulley put the washer on then the nut then adjust the belt to it's proper tention install the axle nut to 80 ft lbs now tighten the pulley to 130...
Bare[/QUOTE]

Important note, the socket needs to be a 12 point. At least on my '08... back to the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.