Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Long Distance Riding >> Tips and Advice

24K views 73 replies 40 participants last post by  Gary W. 
#1 ·
Some friends and I are planning a 4 or 5 day ride next month. I know a lot of you have been one some long distance rides and I'm sure quite a few are very experienced with them.

If you don't mind, can you please share some tips on what are some must haves on a long ride? It can be as simple as "make sure you wear earplugs" to recommending a GPS that mounts on your handlebars.

So what are few great ideas that would make a long distance trip much more enjoyable?

We are planning on hotel stays and will be saddle bagging it. No trailers for us this time around.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

#37 ·
Evaporation Seems to be the Key

So, from reading what you've all said, if the mesh allows our skin to go dry due to too much evaporation, we will get hot on a very hot day. If it allows sweat to evaporate but not too much, then we will stay cool. And if the former occurs then we would definitely keep the liners in to prevent too much evaporation. And perhaps we shouldn't worry about it because with the liners in we will be comfortable anyway given that we wore leather jackets on previous occasions when it was hot and they were fine.

This is all good information and we will test the situation out in a couple of weeks when we go riding up in northern alabama.

Thanks!

#38 ·
So, from reading what you've all said, if the mesh allows our skin to go dry due to too much evaporation, we will get hot on a very hot day. If it allows sweat to evaporate but not too much, then we will stay cool. And if the former occurs then we would definitely keep the liners in to prevent too much evaporation. And perhaps we shouldn't worry about it because with the liners in we will be comfortable anyway given that we wore leather jackets on previous occasions when it was hot and they were fine.

This is all good information and we will test the situation out in a couple of weeks when we go riding up in northern alabama.

Thanks!
Yup. In temps above 98.6 degrees, the wind will heat up your body. (And IMHO, the sun and win makes you uncomfortable warm -compared to when wearing gear- above 90ish) Being insulated from that, whether with a liner, or with a decent long sleeve shirt on underneath your jacket is a great idea.

#39 ·
I think the only thing I need to get now is a can of fix-a-flat. I am an AMA member so towing/breakdown service is covered. Boy, what a way to ruin a vacation if I needed them. :(

Thanks again for all the info and I'll read this thread over again in a couple days to make sure I get all the great advice memorized. 3 weeks and counting to trip time. :)

#40 ·
cool vest

I ride with a mesh jacket. When the temperature gets above 93, I wear a cooling vest as others have mentioned wearing. I have found that wearing the vest outside the jacket is more comfortable to me because when worn inside the jacket, the water gets down in my pants and becomes uncomfortable. The vest still cools when worn outside the jacket. I carry a bottle of water in one of my pockets to pour on the vest after about 55 minutes, riding. This helps to resupply the vest and extend the ride time.

#42 ·
When we lived in Idaho, we wore mesh gear. But then, we also rode fully faired motorcycles. I had a GL1800 Gold Wing and an ST1300, and my wife rode first a BMW R1150RT then an ST1300, followed by a couple Suzuki 650 Burgmans, then a GL1800 herself. Mesh gear helped keep us cool, but behind those fairings, there wasn't a lot of air movement, so we felt the mesh gear was OK. We just sweltered in non-mesh or leather riding gear. Up here in Alaska, the mesh stuff is out, though.

The big problem with mesh gear and riding a motorcycle that has either just a windshield or nothing at all, is that you get too much wind and it wicks away a lot of body moisture and you run the risk of dehydration. And the hotter it is, the worse the problem becomes, especially when the outside air temps soar above 98.6. Then you begin slowly cooking yourself!! YIKES!! :eek:

In the end, nothing we wear (or don't) can make us safe, nor can all the safe riding techniques. There is always a risk that we take, and we play the odds. So if we can't make it safe, the best we can do is make it safER.

#44 ·
I have no experience on long bike trips, but here's a tip that useful no matter what: get a state issued ID card. They're only $10 and will save your butt if you get ticketed in a state that keeps your license.

Also, carry some cash, like $200 in a safe place. It's just convenient at times. Think about what you eat: it's gonna come out so you want to make smart choices.

Keep some aspirin on hand for headaches.

Cracker Barrel restaurants give free coffee to road travelers. You can also sleep in their parking lot without a hassle.

Printed maps are awesome. They never lose a charge or need new batteries. A small atlas is cheap and can point out nearby attractions.

Out of state plates get pulled over more than in-state plates. They also get ticketed more for parking issues. As soon as you cross the line expect cops to see dollar signs on you.

Gas stations aren't always a tank away from each other. If you're passing through the country figure out your fill-up points and never go more than 3/4 tank.

Figure out the good from bad parts of town. Know where you're not wanted.

A lot of towns close at 8:30pm. No gas, food, etc. don't push it into the night if you don't know exactly where you'll be at 9:00pm.

Shower where ever possible. You'll find people are a lot friendlier when youre clean and look nice. A long road trip is a bad time to show off how hard-core you are.

#45 ·
Carry a lite-weight digital camera and a big memory card. You're going to see fun stuff.

Make sure your friends know where your medical and bike insurance is. Also, make sure they have a number of someone back home to call for an emergency. Make sure they know your medical conditions. There are no secrets between road travelers.

Some garbage bags make great ponchos. Also, double-bag your clothes to stay dry.

Travelling light means stopping to do laundry from town to town. You'll feel better and be treated better if you smell nice.

Give your co-travelers personal space. It's easy to get under each others skin.

Bring tools, medical supplies, and a small pocket knife. Carry toilet paper in your bags, burn cream, poison ivy cream, Claritin and aspirin.

These are all common sense, just doing a brain dump.

#46 · (Edited)
+1 to Cheesefoods suggestion of getting a map.

There are TONS of motorcycle road maps out there, some are even waterproof! These are small spiral bound atlases of major highways and maps of major cities to help you get where you're going. I've also found that another great trick is to print out some maps of the towns and places you'll be, go to your local copy shop or mom-and-pop shop (local hardware store does it here!) and get them laminated for under a buck a page usually. Then, stick them in a big ziplock bag for extra protection and to keep them together. I've done this on all of our long motorcycle trips. I've never used them, my iPhone has always worked, but, smartphones DO fail, directions DO change, batteries DO die, and so no matter what the weather I've always got a paper map I can pull out, even in a downpour, and take a look at.

Also, I've found that 88 cent wal-mart ponchos are awesome! Believe it or not, the heavier coleman and other name-brand ponchos blow around in the wind, but the super cheap wal-mart ones (were 88 cents last time I got some) cling to you and stay put. They come in a small little wrapper. I always have a few in my saddlebag. A) It's great additional protection even with rain gear, to keep you dry and B) you make some great friends passing out ponchos to drowned bikers at gas stations! They are basically disposable. I have a couple folded up in my saddlebag too that I guess I could use again, but they are very thin and could easily rip, but are under a buck a piece and keep you dry so who's complaining?

#55 ·
+1 to Cheesefoods suggestion of getting a map.

There are TONS of motorcycle road maps out there, some are even waterproof! These are small spiral bound atlases of major highways and maps of major cities to help you get where you're going. I've also found that another great trick is to print out some maps of the towns and places you'll be, go to your local copy shop or mom-and-pop shop (local hardware store does it here!) and get them laminated for under a buck a page usually. Then, stick them in a big ziplock bag for extra protection and to keep them together. I've done this on all of our long motorcycle trips. I've never used them, my iPhone has always worked, but, smartphones DO fail, directions DO change, batteries DO die, and so no matter what the weather I've always got a paper map I can pull out, even in a downpour, and take a look at.
Have to agree, I am still a paper map person. I just find it more fun mapping a trip, stopping to follow our progress, and maybe selecting a new route just to see where it will lead us...

#48 ·
To go along with the insurance info with friends, before you head out on a long ride, or for that matter, any ride, make up a list of any allergies, current medical issues, and a list of all prescription medications you take, as well as a list of those medications that you may be allergic to. Keep this list in your wallet or some other safe place, and have it with you on every ride.

#49 ·
When we travel (a few friends and I do a big trip every year; we just got back from an upstate NY trip in the catskills mountains) and I have a GPS (Nuvi 550; very affordable, waterproof, and shockproof and hardwired to the bike) and we also bring a road map just in case.

Also, rain gear is a must (never know what type of weather you will run into). Motorcycle luggage is also good, as they come with waterproof covers.

Also, don't overlook the importance of footwear. Keeping your feet dry can mean the difference between a somewhat comfortable ride in the rain and a terrible experience.

#50 ·
I think electrical tape is a MUST! It's small size makes it great to keep, and I used it to secure my GPS to my handle bars at an angle s I could see it as I drove!
A decent luggage bag would be nice....i bought a cheap one on eBay and it worked GREAT! Not a single problem with it at all!
A charger socket is a MUST!
A TOWEL to wipe the dew in the morning off the seat.
A map of the area is nice.

Good luck on your trip!

#51 ·
Here's another one. If you stay in motels rather than camping, ask the desk clerk if they have any cleaning rag towels to use for cleaning your bike. I always did that and was rewarded with a pile of old terry cloth towels to use. Most of the time they thanked me for not using the towels in the room to clean the crud off my bike. Builds good will as you travel, and saves room in your saddlebags or trunk.

#52 ·
get a small Slime Comp and some plugs..fix a flat is not coming off your paint job if it comes out of tire... i ran over a possum once,he won put his rib thru my back tire..two cans of fix a flat and two plugs... i never did get that crap off all my rear fender..
hanes boxer underwear..lol..i know..funny huh..well on long trips your would be surprised how much better ur @ss feels with no sems digging in it..
figure a way to make bike info handy,,,go thru road block and it suxs to wait and try and find it all..
do not carry booze unless its small bottles that are sealed,,finish them each nite...some states dont take open container lightly..
and my other personal favorite is the new Springfield XDS..lol just in case..

#54 ·
You got that right! Amazing how the more I ride, the more I CAN ride!

#56 ·
Airhawk

Last year we did a 6,000 + ride to the East Coast, this year it was down to Tennessee and the Tail of the Dragon. My saving grace for these long trips was my Airhawk. It saved by butt (pun intended). I have the stock seats on my V900 and can't do any distance without it.

I agree with all the other posts - keeping hydrated is key and take a short walk every time you fill up.

#57 ·
Long distance rides

I bought a 12v minature airpump, and tire/tube patch kit, added a 12v power tap to the handlebars, and have a GPS mount for my phone GPS, my bluetooth Scala rider is adp2 complaint so I get music, gps directions, and telephone through my helmet. I also use a tank top bag with a paper map for when the GPS signal is lost, (it happens), I added AAA motorcycle coverage for pennies. I already have the Mustang seat, and can ride for days, not just hours. My handlebar setbacks, and crusing pegs, leaves me many choices for varying my riding position. I routinely pack an emergency kit (energy bars, sewing kit, first aid, lighter, firestarter, fishing line, duct tape, two sizes or smalls coils of nylon rope(s), and in my CORS bag I carry a cable repair kit that includes a bolt with a hole drilled in it large enough to pass two cable ends through and two washers to lock them between with a self locking nut. I carry two tire irons, and a small spool of wire/solder that is low melt (with the lighter) to repair broken wires. The CORS bag carries metric allen wrenches, small and medium vice grips (wire cutters), small trouble light (tester), spare fuses, a couple of red rags, paper towels (blue HD) and a 4 way full size screw driver. Throw in a light weight emergency blanket, and you are set. I usually carry a small one gallon empty fuel container, and a siphon hose stuffed inside it for really long trips. You can siphon from one bike to another in a pinch. Forget bungee cords, they are dangerous, and stick with (at least 4) flat straps that have the cinching clamp, like water craft use. Fold up a couple of large black contractor plastic bags and always bring duct tape, and bailing wire. A old metal coat hanger works best for the heavy stuff like holding on a muffler until you get to a town.
FYI: in the old days I used to carry a spare clutch cable coiled up under the seat, and a small odd and ends bolt/nut selection in case something rattled off. Not so much a problem on my ultra smooth Vulcan 900.

#58 ·
fuses, 2 feet of wire with about 2 feet of electrical tape wrapped around it for easy storage. jb weld or like epoxy. hex keys and a few common size wrenches. that will get a decent road fix for most things. but always spend a few hours checking the bike over prior to any distance riding.
some people have said aspirin and other medicines for headaches but I take aspirin prior to rides just to thin my blood a little to get better circulation to my butt feet and hands, may all be in my head but it seems to help

#59 ·
Spare motorcycle key

Least we forget, a spare key for your motorcycle, and helmet lock. Its is amazing how the simple things can stop an otherwise smooth trip. I live in Raleigh, NC and drive the back roads, when I can, to the Tail of the Dragon, and to the Blue Ridge Parkway. When I need to make time, it's the super slabs. I have a power splitter and run a radar detector for those speed zones, cameras, etc. It has saved me from myself many times, when I thought I was on an empty road. These bikes can run at license losing speeds for long stretches of time, but radar is invisible, and nothing ruins a trip like being pulled over for speeding 15/20/30 miles over the limit on clear open roads.

#60 ·
Here are 10 things I learned from my trip (in no particular order).

1. There is no limit to the number of beautiful places to see in CA.

2. No matter how fast you go, someone will always be riding your a$$.

3. Rt 99 sucks!

4. Plan for the worst. If something bad happens, it won't be such a crisis when it does.

5. Taking a 35 mph curve at 70 is not advisable.

6. Blinding sun, sharp curves and small rocks & dirt on the road can be hazardous to your health.

7. Always plan your stops for gas. Even though you think a station may be within reach, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Stop for gas when possible (especially out west where stations can be few and far between).

8. Put your wet weather or cold weather gear on top of your stuff. That way you are not digging for it when you need it.

9. Have a camera handy. You never know what you are going to see and when you are going to see it. You can take photos while riding. It is not hard to do.

10. Bring something to read, music to listen to, or something else to relax with after the ride.

And one last one. Don't 'rush the ride." Stop and smell the roses so to speak. Enjoy the time getting from A to B instead of having B the place to get to.

Frank

#65 ·
I don't want to hijack this thread because it has some good info and that just ain't right to do.
But we also had a shooting lately that a boy shoot a guy on a motorcycle because he just wanted to shot someone and the biker was a easy target. Turns out he was just mad at his dad. Biker did luckily live but took a couple of rounds to back and arm.
It's better to carry and hopeful never need it. Than get out and need it and be a statistic.
Crab

#71 ·
I have Kuryakyn's version of the floor board mounted pegs, and they are great. I can stretch my foot out, or my leg depending on foot placement. Usually I ride with my heel on the floor board, and ball of my foot on the high peg. Very comfortable position.

I also recommend a throttle paddle if you don't feel comfortable with a throttle lock.
Agree using a throttle paddle. I have both installed and use the paddle all the time. Throttle lock is best on open stretchs of highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.