Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What are ya plannin' on doing to your 900 this winter?

23K views 148 replies 75 participants last post by  MidIAVoyager 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start a little thread here.

Like the title says, got any winter project plans for the 9'er?

#78 ·
If you load them up on a photo share (Fliker, or anything of that nature) site you can link them to it. I find it a lot easier.

#80 ·
70K on my ride. I plan on installing a Cobra breather, new belt, new Baron overdrive front pulley, rebuild brakes, new rear brake disc, and change out front fork springs and fluid. While I am at it, fix the lower grease fitting issue.

#82 ·
I guess I will start with an oil change (first one) and for the mods I have the fire and steel highway bar and light bar on the way, i am also thinking about adding a tach before its all over, of course here in the south it really dos'nt have to be put away for the winter so there will be some riding too.

#84 ·
Thanks for all who gave me advice on how to upload pics!The above pics show the installed Matazu Bat wing fairing I paid $99 plus shipping.I had to fab some simple aluminum brackets to the oem fairing mount I used stainless steel hardware and rubber washers.For the upper mounts I used 2 tach mounts that are rubber mounted on the handlebars attached to some steel strapping.its mounted on 4 points.Because it has no inner fairing it looks unfinished so I will fill in the space between the handle bar and fairing with a wind shield bag and my gps.I did test it in 10c windy day at 100kmh the fairing protected my hands well wind was just hitting the top of my full face helmet im 5,8"very pleased plus it matched my 06 galaxysilver paint.I found a broken zerk so that will have to be fixed over the winter.

#92 ·
You know it's funny, a lot of people say that, but I really don't think a bike looks 'complete' without highway bars. Same with a light bar. Maybe it's just me but a single headlight bike with no highway bars looks like half a bike. (Don't read into that too much folks, I'm not callin' anyones bike half a bike :p)

That said, those frame mounted ones are certainly cool!

#93 ·
#94 ·
#97 ·
New Mutazu HL Saddlebags

Okay, rainy weekend, so I decided to install my Christmas gift from the wife. Mutazu HL Saddlebags. Pretty easy to install. Only thing I changed was the use of fender washers on the inside grommets (they seemed to compress the grommets better). All installation hardware was included, and their new heavy duty support brackets worked great and are solid. Here are some pics (will post better ones when the weather clears). Now all that's left is paint.

Attachments

#98 ·
Lookin' Good Bosco!

Got the same bags on mine and I love 'em. Looks like they were made for the bike almost.

#102 · (Edited)
Thanks. They fit the bike great. I know I have said this before, but the 900 is an excellent platform to build any style bike.

Looking good Bosco! How long did it take to install them. Any issues?
I spent a few of hours, but it's shouldn't take that long. I used a 2x4 to sit the bag on top of the exhaust pipe and it positioned the bag about 1.75" above the exhaust. Once I had the holes drilled (initial bag), I placed the bags back to back to mark the holes on the second bag (left side). Then it's just a matter of assembling.

The only issue I had was installing the grommets (what a pita), but I always have issues with gromments. I used silicone spray to help (and it won't damage any parts like WD40 will).

If you need any other pics, let me know.

#99 ·
Looking good Bosco! How long did it take to install them. Any issues?

#100 ·
Ok, I finally figured I look foolish enough singing to myself while I ride that I got myself a sound system. The bike's tarped under 2 feet of snow at the moment but I do have the battery in the house on a tender. So naturally I had to wire it up and make sure it works. In the house it sounds much better than I was expecting. Can't wait to get it mounted; but of course I will have to wait! :(

Attachments

#101 ·
I'm selling mine this winter.

#105 ·
Was on vacation last week. I pulled the rear wheel, shock, rocker arm and swing arm assy. Replaced the rear brake rotor with a EBC. With a new rotor, new EBC pads were required. Bled the brake and replaced the brake fluid. I fixed the rocker arm Zerk issue. Tapped the center one to a 1/4 20 and installed a set screw from Home depot. I removed the seals and packed the bearings with lithium grease used for bearing applications. They did not have any rust but there was very little grease in all three. Looked more like a red oil. I packed the bearings in the swing arm and repainted the swing arm assy. I replaced the belt and front pulley with the Baron type. Test rode it today but it was too cold to go far. Test run went good and all I needed was to fine tune the belt a little. Of course rhe brake pads and rotor need 1K miles for proper breakin. This bike has 70K miles and I wanted to replace the belt. No easy task but can be done if you can raise the bike high enough to have the rear where'll clear the fender. Had to use a impact wrench to remove the nut from the front pulley. I used a clutch rotor tool to hold the pulley from turning. It was a labor of love as I will keep this bike and replace what ever it needs. It fits me like a glove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.