Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1998 VN800B Classic Engine Sound

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 · (Edited)
Since my 1998 VN800B Classic is about a month old/new to me now, I was hoping someone who has an excellent running one could post up a video with the way the bike's engine should NORMALLY sound when idling and all is well. Of course I don't mean the way it sounds with mufflers and gunning the throttle. I just want to know what is NORMAL for this bike since it is new to me.

I don't perceive any problems with mine but I just want to know and hear what other people are experiencing since I am unable to find anyone nearby with one. Even parts are getting harder to find for it for some reason. Did they really make them that well that people who have them keep them or are they all pretty much gone by the wayside now? I got mine as payment for some work I did for a neighbor and so I'm just curious to know more about it. :)

#2 ·
I bought my 05 800vnb new. Far from new now. Was my first bike, so nothing to judge it against, but my thoughts were that you really hear the mechanical parts working. Not like banging or knocking, but more like a well oiled sewing machine. A light tapping from the valve train, the chains running on the sprockets and such. This was with stock exhaust, dont hear it as much with baffles removed. I am at 97,300 miles on mine, and am sure there are many more on the road like mine. Regular oil and filter changes and ride them, and they last a long time, trouble free.

#3 ·
I bought my wife's '05 800 Classic with less than 1000 miles on it, and it now has 3400 miles. It's a smooth. quiet engine with no abnormal noises. Even with my 900, I don't know what people are talking about with the "Kawasaki tick".
Maybe it's the 20w-50 oil in them year 'round that keeps them quiet.:D

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice and info Rick and Ron. Will just keep learning this troublesome little stepchild of mine until I know its every capricious whim and sound. :)

I use nothing but 20W50 out of habit.

#6 ·
Got to remember it's a motorcycle engine. No money is spent on making the engine silent, or keeping you isolated from its noise, like say an Infinity engine. They have plastic covers in many places, unlike engines of yesteryear which used die cast aluminum. There are many whirling chains, counterbalance shafts with rubber grommets to wear out, a clutch pack, alternator, primary gears or chains, and a transmission. You're supposed to hear it, and the exhaust. Part of the ambiance or riding experience, I suppose.

#5 ·
20w50 year round? Manual had 10w40 so that's what I used, i havent had my 98 classic but about a month but im packing the miles on it to get used to it all might have to see about trying 20w next time around

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 · (Edited)
Roger that on the "ambience" and oil Paco and Chi. Since I live in the scorching deserts of Arizona that's what I was referring to as a side note but obviously without clarification. Looks like I lose points on that due to losing focus with my inane ramblings. :)

#9 ·
Roger that on the "ambience" and oil Paco and Chi. Since I live in the scorching deserts of Arizona that's what I was referring to as a side note but obviously without clarification. Looks like I lose points on that due to losing focus with my inane ramblings. :)
Well I see that you're a senior (or geezer) member already!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.