Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Helmet Brand/Shapes?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  at-home-daddy 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the general shapes of different brand helmets, and I was hoping the combined wisdom and experience of the forum (which is, of course, considerable) might help. I know that Shoei (which fits me very well) is generally more oblong than round, and that HJCs are more round than oblong. I've tried a Nolan, but the right size seemed too round for me.

What about other head shapes in different brand brain buckets? Please let me know what shape you are and what works for you. Thanks!

#3 ·
CrazyJ,

I just ordered two new helmets. One for my wife and one for myself.
I am a research junky on some things.:)

A lot of manufacturers design different helmets for different shapes. So one Shoei may not fit the same as another model.

Here is a link that has a lot of Great info. Helmet shape i.e. slim, neutral, and round are considered.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Scott

#4 ·
here is an idea go to some local dealers and try on different makes models and when you find one that fits you right buy it....might cost a few pennies more but at least you know it fits before you buy it.

#5 ·
For some things; that works great. For others it is not so great.

I have been to Cycle Gear, they have a small number of Shoeis and AGV that are not only overpriced but did not fit; and the rest are cheap Bilt brand. I did not find anything I wanted.
The Kaw shop likewise did not have anything I liked; nor the Harley shop.
I went to a couple of mom and pop places near my job, and again, no luck finding anything that I liked that fit.
While I was at Walmart buying oil, I saw they now carry a couple of helmets, but I didn't look to close.:)

I like brick and mortar stores. I like puting my hands on things I buy before I buy them, but I expect a competative price and a good selection.
I am not paying 30% more and I am not settling for less because it is on the shelf.

Scott

#6 ·
Check to see if you have a CycleGear nearby. While I did not purchase my last helmet there, they carry a very large selection.
No, I don't work there, no, I don't get any kickbacks - I just think they have a nice selection of gear!

#7 ·
Yours must be better than mine.:confused:
90% of the stuff at the Cycle Gear in Fort Worth is Bilt.:(

I wish Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop would stock a motorcycle gear section.:)

Scott

#10 · (Edited)
I'm afraid to buy helmets online, afraid it won't fit right! (Unless it's a helmet I've tried on). The dealership where I bought my bike is pretty competitive on helmet prices, and has a good selection. I did buy the wifes online, they didn't have her size in stock and it was back ordered, said it could be 3 months before they had it in the color she wanted (there was this awful looking green one that she tried on). We tried them all on and wore them around a bit and each found ones that fit really well. It's good, if you can, to wear them around a bit to see if pressure points develop. Anyway, moral of the story, the service guy actually looked up online to find that RevZilla had hers in stock and told us to go online and buy it. So, I didn't feel too bad about buying hers online after trying them on! But, I did buy mind there. It was $10 more, but that $10 is well worth the ability to try it on, and even though my business might be a drop in the bucket, it's supporting these stores that keeps them open.

I would never buy a bike online sight unseen! I suspect most wouldn't. There are things I'll buy online though. I did buy some riding gear online because the local shops have a limited selection. The nice thing there is, most motorcycle specific riding gear has snaps and straps to make them adjustable (a perfect fit is crucial for comfort, and to keep the gear from flapping around or puffing up in the wind), so I got everything one size bigger than I normally wear knowing I could always sinch it down. All worked out good! Actually being a little 'big' is nice in the winter because I can easily squeeze layers on underneath.

Unfortunately though, when it comes to accessories for the bike, it's online only. Nobody carries stuff for my 9 (how could they? All the various metric models they'd have to stock accessories for!). So it's always a bit of a gamble to see how the part REALLY turns out to look once the UPS man does his ding-dong-ditch and leaves it on the porch!

#11 ·
I only buy helmets at a local store. I bought my last helmet at my local Kawi dealer. I tried 5 different makes and models before I found one that fit my head. Nice and tight but it doesn't have any pressure points. I checked the prices online while I was there. Smart phones can be very useful. Their price was within 5 bucks of the online stores. Then I found a couple of almost invisible scratches. Showed them to the clerk and they knocked $15 bucks off! Oh Happy Day!!

#12 ·
I agree completely that it's best to check out helmets at local stores; unfortunately, as someone else said, my local dealers (all brands of MCs) stock only a few brands and styles, none of which work for me. I bought my Shoei Qwest online, and it fits great. I'm looking for a 3/4 helmet for really hot days, and so far no luck, either in stores or online.

#14 ·
Earlier this year I bought an Arai Signet-Q, which is designed for a narrow, "long oval" shaped head. Fits snug and nice, much less wind noise than my HJC and the time unti I get that piercing hotspot pain in my forehead has been about doubled (1.5 hours from 45 minutes). I traded out the 7mm liner for a 5mm (their thinnest) and that helped as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.