Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

25K views 160 replies 22 participants last post by  BigTim900 
#1 ·
Hey's Guys I am starting to shop for some Saddlebags and a Windshield for my 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Here is what I am looking for.

1. What kind of Saddlebags are you using?
2. What kind of Windshield are you using?

Any and all experience's you may of had with cheaper products.

1. Links to affordable sites with either Saddlebags, or Windshields.

Where did you guys buy yours? I am a serious buyer and really need both. I do not want to pay 400+ for the OEM Vulcan Windshield(I really like it) but it's simply too much.

PVC leather for saddlebags YES or NO?

Links, advice, what your using, pics, any and all help would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Memphis Shades and National Cycle both make good quality windshields that are less expensive than OEM. When I had my 900, I had a Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield and lowers, and I was very happy with that.

With saddlebags, you get what you pay for. I used Edge Leather Model 102 bags mounted on Easy Brackets. Not cheap, but excellent quality. I wouldn't recommend any cheap bags, you'll just end up replacing them next spring.

#4 ·
I have been looking at a Memphis Shades Fats. Do you know of a place to get one that is affordable or a link to a good company. I of course did a google search, checked ebay, amazon, and seems as if everyone carries em. Looks like you have or had the 19". Would you of considered going with the 15" or 17"?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ruisers.html&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13347173019402

I went with one of these, really dig it, not big $$$ either, plus not pushing a sheet of glass around :eek:/
I considered that type to, does it actually block the wind or bugs from your face on the highway at 65 for a few hundred miles?

#3 ·
#6 ·
Does this mount to the handlebars/fork or is there mounting hardware needed? How much protection does it offer? I really like the look of this compared to the MS Fats. And at half the total price of the MS Batwing seems a bit for feasable.

#5 · (Edited)
I have been seeing the ones on ebay for 50-60 dollars, handlebar mounted windshield that seems extremely easy to install and remove. But I have read and heard from other forum members that they look pretty tiny.

I do not plan on keeping the windshield on my bike for around town. But when I go on the occasional out of town trip, I don't want to fight the wind, or eat too many bugs. So I want something that looks good, is affordable, and can be removed and reinstalled semi easily. ;)

I have never ridden a bike with a windshield but I am 44 years old and just decided comfort over style any day of the week.

#13 ·
I mounted a Memphis Fats 21"--the largest one they have, on my '06 Classic, along with the quick-disconnect shield mount. I picked the tall shield because I am tall, at 6'2" and I sit tall in the saddle. Seems to work well.

I got a set of LeatherLyke bags for my wife's '09 LT. At $500.00 they weren't cheap, but they were easy to mount using the existing hardware on the bike, and they are solid, locking, and WATERPROOF. They don't exactly look like classic leather saddlebags, but we went with function over form. For my '06 Classic, I just mounted up the OEM bags left over from my wife's LT! That made it cheap and easy. I'd like to put a set of hard bags on mine, but having just moved from Idaho to Alaska and all the associated costs of moving into a new house and all, I don't think it's at the top of my bucket list yet.

#16 ·
I am leaning towards the Memphis Fats right now, between 17 and 21" in this thread there are some high quality pics of bikes that have the Memphis Fats windshields. I like it.

Now my biggest issue right now is the Memphis Shades with Hardware is around 300, and the OEM is 400.

I was hoping to spend around 200 tops. OUCH I like the OEM hardware a little bit better. Any opinions on price and differences between OEM and Memphis Shades.

Here is the link to the thread with the High Quality pics.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...4-900-classic-w-memphis-fats.html#post2184517

#25 ·
The slip streamer ss-30 seems like a good match too. I read a thread where guys 5'6 and 5'9 were at eye level with the 17" and the next size up is something like 21". I am 6' foot I believe 19" is the right size for me. Those slip streamer's sure are the right price though. Definitely not quick connect though. You pay about 150 more for that option.

I really want a windshield but paying 350-400 seems harsh to me. I am racking my brain here. I want to travel and put highway miles on my new tires this summer. And I just can't push 200 plus mile roadtrips at 65+ for very long.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey guys what about this windshield?

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/n...ious-motorcycles/part/NC-N2210?action=fitment

Or this one its the right height:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/n...hield-various-motorcycle-models/part/NC-N2301
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/h...01100-v-star/part/NC-KIT-JG?source=igodigital

Its difficult to shop for a windshield you always have to shop for the darn kit to install it. No matter what I'm looking at 250.

The price is about 75 dollars cheaper than the Memphis Shades Fats. However the install kit is nowhere near as convenient as the Memphis Shades is. So to remove the National Cycles windshield it would be a royal pain in the ARSE vs the Memphis. :(

Does this one look like it's equivalent to the Memphis Shades Fats 19"?

#20 ·
Nice looking bike, Yeah I measured about a inch above the headlight and it seems as if the 17" would be perfect for me. I am 6 foot tall. I could even go with the 19" if I sat up really straight.

Looks like the prices for the gear and windshield is 325-350 range that is the Memphis Fats.

And the OEM is 400.

SPENDY

#21 ·
Nice looking bike, Yeah I measured about a inch above the headlight and it seems as if the 17" would be perfect for me. I am 6 foot tall. I could even go with the 19" if I sat up really straight.

Looks like the prices for the gear and windshield is 325-350 range that is the Memphis Fats.

And the OEM is 400.

SPENDY
I am 5" 9' and can see well over the shield. At 6' I would go with the 19"......

#24 ·
Viking saddlebags. Leather with a plastic liner to keep shape. Love the ones on my bike!

Attachments

#26 ·
I think I found the one, 300 dollars including hardware and free shipping. That is not terribly bad. It's 19" tall.

I am 6' as mentioned about 5x. I think it's ideal for my height. My last thing to mention is I needed a new headlight when I bought my bike, I ended up accidentally buying a custom headlight, it's much smaller than the classic stock one. So my windshield will not look right until I get another classic headlight.

Anyway without further ado here is the one I think I may end up getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Fat...ycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_3431wt_907

Oh and one last question for anyone willing to respond. I have a gloss black classic. If any of you had the option to buy your windshield over again would you get all clear, or would you want the color at the bottom of the windshield? In my case black on the botton and clear towards the top.

#29 ·
Ok guys I have a question. Looks like someone at some point had a windshield on my bike. I just bought the bike about 2 months ago. And didn't really notice the mounting bolts on my bike.

Tell me if I am right or wrong. Are these memphis shades bolts? For a quick release system?

Since my bike already has the hardware on the bike, What all do I need to order? Memphis Shades Fat's wise 19"?

#32 ·
That does look like Memphis Shades hardware, but it's only half of it. (The other half mounts on the windshield itself.)

If I were you, I'd call Memphis Shades customer service and see if they can cut you a special deal on just the hardware parts you need. Maybe email those pictures to them so they can see it.

They were very helpful when I called them to get some replacement screws for mine, which the previous owner removed and lost.

#42 ·
$ 149 free shipping, hardware and all!!
It mounts to bars and forks, easy..... Doesnt block everything but sure helps heaps and looks better than a plate, just sayng! To me anyway... I moved it up as high as it will go and have a bag on my bars in between that and the screen, blocks what little wind gets thru... I do look over it, I like that...

#44 ·
Hey guys I am just getting ready to hit the buy it now on this ebay add;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Fat...ps=63&clkid=7839393744093174046#ht_3431wt_907

It's everything I need. And the price is right. I don't even care If I can find it for 10 dollars cheaper somewhere else. 300 is fair with shipping.

I have a 7" headlight on my bike, it from a 900 custom and it's plastic. A new classic 9" headlight is around 200 dollars. So I am going to hang on to the 7" until I need to order another light.

So my question is, if you were me would you make sure you got the windshield with a 7" cutout? So that is would fit perfect for my current headlight. Or would you still get the one with a 9" cutout just in case I come across a used classic oem headlight? Would it look really bad having a 9" cutout with a 7" headlight?

#48 ·
I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has brought this up. I am probably going against the grain of conventional wisdom, but here it goes. I had cheap (I'm talking ebay special kind of cheap) saddle bags on my V-star. They worked just fine, and I had no problems with them. I know many people will say cheap bags are junk, but I had them for a few years with no problems. Don't leave them sitting outside in the rain and they hold up fine. They were cheap because they were smaller pieces stitched together to make a bag. I think they called it "buffalo leather" or something like that. If you don't "have" to have fancy bags, they were great. If I remember correctly they cost me around $50 for saddle bags, handlebar bag, and a small backpack. Great quality just not one solid piece of hide (which I didn't care if it was 1 piece or multiple pieces). It may be something worth looking into.

I actually was thinking about buying another set and getting rid of the bags I have now. The set I have on the Meanie are nice, but the zipper that holds the bag to the mounting strap keeps wanting to come unzipped. Here's a shot of the bags on my old Vstar so you can see what I mean by them being stitched together. I don't know what bags or windshield I have now, because I bought the Kaw used.

Attachments

#52 ·
#55 ·
To be honest I'm not sure. The pipes were installed by the previous owner. They are the Cobra Speedster Shorts. I am trying to get a good sound clip to add to the exhaust sticky as the link for the Shorts doesn't work.

I don't have a fuel processor, not really sure if I need one.

And yes it can fly off the line, but I don't do it that often...mainly because I'm usually following my wife on her Rebel 250 which doesn't have the same 'get up and go' as my 900 lol

#56 ·
Man from all the forums and threads I have read about changing the intake, you are definitely going to want to get a fuel processor. You bike is getting a lot more air now, and the fuel I believe is going to be running a lot more leaner now. Which in turn means if you had chrome pipes they would probably be turning blue by now. I would invest in a 200 dollar fuel processor with those pipes and intake.

The stock computer is programed to be operated within a certain set of parameters that are dependent on the stock intake and exhaust. It does not have the data sets or programming needed to be able to compensate for aftermarket hi-flow intake & exhaust. That is why most of the aftermarket programmers have user inputs where you actually tell the programmer what you want it to do.

Just changing the pipes you do not need to get a fuel processor, but when changing both pipes and intake, definitely yes.

#57 ·
Sorry RBS2, I thought your bike was the one JBSurf posted, with that black Aftermarket Air Intake.

I'm sure that bike has a Fuel Processor!!!! :D

Sorry my mistake. I was thinking all along your bike was that black one, with the bat wing, then I saw your Blue Bike under your name. Sorry for the mistake. :eek: BTW nice bike. :D

#58 ·
Lol you had me wondering all morning and I was getting worried. I don't have an aftermarket intake so I think I'll be fine. I do get some popping though, looking at the marbling fix right now. But I am getting a K&N Filter this weekend, or at least ordering one, but I don't think that will be enough extra intake to warrant the fuel processor.

#59 ·
Yeah you don't have anything to worry about. :D Sorry about the confusion.

I want to do pipes, intake, and fuel processor. But I am taking the accessory road first. I still have the stock pipes on mine, I like the sound of the bike with stock debaffled pipes. So I too get some popping. It's all good though, all bikes do that regardless. Just when there are baffles in place you don't hear it.

#65 · (Edited)
List price: $279.95
Our Price: $229.95

I also joined last night lol

The 'member' price is also $22 cheaper than cruisercustomizing.com and motorcycle-superstore.com. These guys seem to have the best deals around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.