Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Getting a new 900 soon!

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Aleco 
#1 ·
SO I had a really nice 2007 900 custom, then bumped into a tree, took it to a dealership to get fixed only to have the dealership try to screw my insurance company, which cost me my bike (totaled).

I've been heartbroken about it, but today I found a new 2007 900 custom. This one has 10k more miles, but V&H pipes and a few other upgrades. Best part is that it's $2k less than insurance paid me for the one they totaled!

Getting a nice bike for $3500. Picking it up Saturday. Sooooo happy.

Yeah, too cold to ride any time soon but I'm thinking of parking it on my sun porch over winter and looking for a deal on saddlebags.

#3 ·
What did they do with the other bike? Were you able to keep it also?

#4 ·
Watch out for trees this time :D :D :D. Have you asked the insurance what it would cost to buy yours back from them?

#7 ·
Vulcar, when the insurance company pays for a total loss, they keep the bike, it belongs to them, you even have to sign papers to change the owner. And then they screw someone else to get their money back.
Then they have to dispose of the bike somehow. A lot of times the owner can buy them back, saves the insurance company the trouble of having to haul it to the insurance salvage pool or whatever else they might do with it.

#6 ·
It's always good to hear the consumer get a good deal after companies and insurance providers are always out to get us and double-dip us by overcharging us on top of that. Glad you got something you will like dude.

#8 ·
It happened to me with my car. I was parked and a lady crash me when she was backing up, the insurance company paid for the damages of my car, I bought the broken parts, but did not fixed the car bc of time, few weeks after that some one else crash my car on the same spot, again a claim was filed on a different company, andthey also paid for the parts that i already had bought on the first claim. So i got paid twice for the same damage...it was so sweet.

#14 ·
Going to pick it up today. I've been in communication with the seller and he seems like a straight guy, but when he sent me a pic of the title it's in the previous owners name. I did a VIN check and it's not currently listed as stolen or totalled, he claims he took it in exchange for some work he did, he has a bill of sale from the previous owner, but never titled it in his name. He's going to look for his copy of the bill of sale from the guy he got it from. That should be all I need to cover my ass when I'm titling this bike, right?

#15 ·
I'm always a little leery of deals like this, the story has all the signs of a curber(unlicensed dealer). I'm sure there ARE people that trade vehicles for services rendered, but if you look at Craigslist you'll see a disproportional HIGH number of vehicles for sale that were obtained in barter for "work I did for a guy". Here there is a guy named Josh, that moves dozens of vehicles every year, and he always uses the same reason he doesn't have the title in his name, "traded for a job he did for a guy".

I don't know how YOU feel about the possibility of dealing with a curber, I'll do it if it's something I want, but I'll also thoroughly inspect the vehicle, trust NOTHING the seller says about services and maintenances performed, it's accident history or anything else. The curber is covered by "well, that's what the guy I got it from told me, I'm just as much a victim as you" if anything goes wrong.

Above all else, IF I feel like I am dealing with a curber, I can and will be downright abusive in negotiations (I know HE was when he acquired the vehicle). If nothing else, the fact that there is a chance you'll get hosed on the deal with the title NOT being in his name lowers the value of the bike.

#19 ·
Nice looking ride. Great price. I bet it was a cold ride with no shield. Enjoy it!

#20 ·
The prior owner never registered issues happened to me as well. It was a 2009 VN 1700 with less than 4k miles, so I was not worried about damage or anything like that. The guy I bought it from had it less than 6 months, says he just did not like the big bike. The registration had been just paid when he bought it and he never updated it.

I was concerned, but when I went to the DMV to check things out, the original titled owner had signed off liability and I had no problems with the registration or title.

Good thing to be leery of, but its all pretty easy to check out.

#21 ·
So, a little drama. Get to the DMV, and they tell me his wife's name is Also on the title and she needs to sign it too. They're in MO, I'm in IL, and I bought it off a dude who never signed the title or titled it to himself.

Still, it's going good. Guy I bought it from gave me the number of the guy he got it from. I called, guy said he's OK with my wife signing his wife's name. He runs a shade-tree shop and says they see it happen from time to time.

I've checked the title, it's not reported stolen or anything so it shouldn't be any problems having my wife put a scribble on the paper. I just don't want to FedEx a title to MO and hope I quickly get a sig and get it sent back.

#23 ·
nice bike cheesey. It was actually a black 900 that my mate had, that made me fall in love with the vulcan 9. Damn my friend !!!! My life was never the same again! His was lowered, de-badged with vance and hines.
So when I saw a beautiful red 9 in the dealers, I knew I was in trouble. Bought it that day.
I know what you mean about loud... I have cobras on mine but long shots.
I love the noise. Serious attitude ...

#24 ·
Sweet ride!, take her out it just a liitle cold :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.