Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Back cylinder leaking/smoking

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Looks like I've gotten my first big problem with the bike. Once the bike gets warmed up, I get some huge smoking (white) coming off the rear cylinder at take off out of the tail pipes. Doesn't happen while I'm scooting along, just at take off and idle. Wondering if anyone has any ideas/comments/concerns on this situation? Wanna get some ideas rolling around so I have a place to start when I tear it apart this winter (if it comes to that).

Thanks peeps!

Bike Info:
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500A
Just hit 20,000 miles on the odom.

#3 ·
White smoke can also mean excess fuel. That bike has dual carbs and I am thinking that the carb that feeds the rear cylinder has problems and leaking internally.
Both carbs should be torn down for a clean and inspection with replacement of any questionable parts. Pay particular attention paid to the needle and seat, and the float.

#4 ·
It wasn't till you guys said white smoke that I noticed I had put (White) and not (blue). It is for sure an oil leak somewhere. You can smell the oil and not antifreeze or anything like that.

#5 · (Edited)
Time to pull the heads off first and slowly methodically work your way from gaskets, 0-Rings, valves, etc. and work your way down to the pistons, rings and jugs etc. Can't see what the problems are unless you crack her open.

#10 ·
I do indeed have a bell! May need to change the gremlin juice out soon, however. sfair-- I'll pull the plugs out tomorrow and post back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.