Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Throttle Body Secondary Plates

12K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bytehead60 
#1 ·
I didn't want to hijack the previous thread regarding the air intake mods, so I decided to to a separate thread.

It was mentioned about removing the secondary throttle body plates (butterflies) to improve performance and engine response. My question is, what else do you need to do after removing those plates? FI box, different intake, etc.? And after removing those plates, besides improved engine response, does it smooth the engine out some at higher speeds and what does that do to your gas mileage.

Final question, what is the link to performing this mod?

Thanx in advance.

#2 ·
You dont have to do any other mods. The only difference i noticed was "snappier" throttle response.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
I found that after removing the plates the bike would go flat for a moment when I cranked open the throttle. I figured this was due to the inrush of air and an ECU that still thinks the secondary plates are still there. I added fuel to that area (RPM & throttle position) and the problem went away. In my case removing the plates was in conjunction with adding aftermarket pipes, air kit and a PCV.

#5 ·
I accessed the link, and it looks like a pretty straightforward, simple job. If I don't like the result, I hope it's just as easy to reverse the procedure and put the plates back in. But I won't do any of that until next Spring, so I"ve got lots of time.

#11 ·
I think you'll like it, but if not reversing should be easy. If you have a small magnet screw driver would help to hold the plate in place while setting the screw. But, I think you like it.

#8 ·
+ 1 on the snappier throttle from this mod. My understanding is that the restrictors make the airflow less prone to big changes caused by bumps in the road, etc giving you smoother overall throttle feel. Course lots of us don't want it smoothed out we want the throttle to crack when we hit it. It's an easy mod that's easily put bak if you don't like it.
Chi

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
And also, i did have to add fuel to my v&h fuelpak at the 3500 rpm range. Works like a top now.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Are the screws magnetic? On other non-bike projects I have been encountering aluminum or stainless screws, which is really irritating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.