Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

35 years and I had my first crash yesterday.

16K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  rkd2.3 
#1 ·
I proved yesterday that two bikes cannot occupy the same spot at the same time.

Don't know how bad she(bike) is yet, I spent a day and a half in hospital. Got broken left thumb, lots of road rash, really sore back, can barely walk, right elbow is hamburger, did face plant on pavement, don't look too good right now.
Feel much worse.

#32 ·
Glad you dealt with a cop that wasn't a jerk about the 45. Most around here are the same way. I've always heard and said it wasn't if but when the crash would happen. Good luck with recovery. Now you can make those modifications to the bike you didn't know you wanted to make.

#35 ·
First, I am praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Next, thank you for sharing so we can learn. Sometimes I start to let my mind wander as I ride and that is never a good idea anywhere. Being reminded of our vulnerability is good for us.

Finally, what kind of helmet were you wearing? Was it a half or 3/4 helmet? I wear a 3/4 helmet most days and sometimes wonder how foolish I am being. I have thought of getting a half helmet, but that is probably a really bad idea.

#36 ·
What ever helmet you get/wear DO NOT get one with quick disconnect clip
on the strap. If you wind up in a spot where you need that helmet, those clips wiil NOT keep the helmet on your head. It WILL pop open and you can have a face plant like I had or worse.

Also, keep your head on a swivel and your brain in gear. NEVER drive faster than your guardian angel can fly. Always expect the other guy to screw up and treat blind intersections like a loaded gun pointed at you.

#39 ·
just make sure it dont go to the dealer that put your front tire on !!!!

Oh and glad you are here to tell the tale !!

#41 ·
CP, your comment about the quick releases got my attention. My girl and I have them on our full face helmets because they were difficult to get to the straps to unbuckle them. Figuerd they were safe because I think they are used on racing helmets also. Am I wrong on this? We usually wear a 1/2 helmet till it gets below 45 or so, or if we are sure theres a good chance of rain before we get home, but try to avoid rain when possible.

#42 ·
Half

Well,those half helmets don't do much anyway. Not safe in a crash.
Most folks don't tighten them enough so they fall off your head when you crash.
The trouble with a buckle is you never know for sure that it's latched.
You are supposed to hear and feel a click when it's on.

JJ

#48 ·
if not a v2k,,, would you consider a voyager?
Looking at Voyagers and Vaqueros. Please don't consider this Blasphemy but I'm ate an age where I really feel comfortable at 65 mph on the freeway, so I don't really have the need for Mega Horsepower like the Vulcan has.

Also looking at Suzuki M 109's, another monster bike. Meh! Who knows.

Yamaha's are also nice bikes.

Damn, decisions, decisions, what to do. Well, I have time to figure it out. My hand won't be motorcycle ready for an honest six months so I'll be able to make a decision by then but I really do like my V2K.

#47 ·
Sending well wishes and prayers your way dude. That was a long run of good riding so the next 35 will be easier and better! Yeah, people who try and ride up next to you are a bad thing.

#51 ·
Went to see my bike today and was really surprised at how little damage there was for it to be totaled. Kinda bummed me out but now i know just how strong the Beast actually is/was.

I've been having thoughts about the size of the V2K and I realize that I don't need all that power. I will not be running 130 mph or more and I have given up pulling my trailer, it's just too much of a hassle. Now I'm looking at something just a bit smaller and lighter. I find that I don't have a problem with 65 to 70 mph on highways. Age will do that for you.

I will not be able to ride for several months anyhow so there is no hurry at the moment, just looking around a bit.

#56 ·
So what you're saying is the crash was your fault?

Because you did not meet me there I was wandering about aimlessly and without adult supervision only to be left to my own devices and wound up splattering myself on the pavement of Galveston?

Had you met up with me the entire course of history would have been altered, I would still have an operational V2K, would not have a broken hand or sore back and we could have had dinner and a few cold ones together.

Does that about sum up how badly my weekend went?

If it weren't for bad luck..........................

Da' Pig :pig:

#57 ·
Sounds like smedlin owes you a drink or at least a meal!

#60 ·
Mate having an off is not good no matter what the circumstances. The bike is just a piece of metal that can be replaced, but you are a living breathing special person to somebody who cannot be replaced. Take my advice, grab a nice crystal glass and pour in around 4,5 or 6 fingers of whatever bourbon you like, draw a nice hot bath slip in some of the wifes/girlfriend/ neighbours wife or significant others bath salts and any of the afore mentioned people if the tub is big enough, climb in yourself and just sit back relax have a drink and soak away those aches and pains. If the tub companion decides a little massage is in order then all the better. Let the wounds heal then think about a new bike. I certainly wish you a very speedy recovery.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.