Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Mutazu RS Hardbags?

33K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  Jim Dix 
#1 ·
Has anybody out there tried the Mutazu RS Hardbags? I am thinking of going that route due to their very large size. However, if a forum member could shed a little light on how they look mounted and any pros / cons it would be much appreciated.

KD

#3 ·
People seem to like them. I was gonna go that route but then I found a decent deal on the forums here for some HL bags. I already have a Harley tour pak (trunk) so I have plenty of storage.

The general consensus from what I've read is that they are thin and flex alot, and most people seem to indicate it's a good idea to use washers where the bolts mount to keep the plastic from cracking. That said, it really does seem like people are very pleased with them and they seem to last a long time for people. Just don't abuse it or treat it likes it's something it's not. I wouldn't make a habit of forcing it to the gills and then forcing the latch shut! But of course, you're paying much, much less (probably 1/3 at MOST) of what similar sized bags made a bit tougher will cost ya.

I think they look great on the 900 as well.

Let us know what you think if you get some! My HL bags should be here before too long.

#6 ·
Near went with a set of those... i think they look great... but stumbled across something else

#9 ·
Using the Mutazu bag brackets...

I just mounted a set of Mutazu MU hard bags (smaller than the ones you're considering). I like the style, but agree that they "flex" a lot, depending on how you mount them. The plastic itself is pretty thin, but then I'm comparing it to a Givi hard case that I had on a previous bike... of course the *single* Givi case and mounting plate cost more than BOTH Mutazu bags together, including the shipping!

One warning on mounting them -- Mutazu is now selling a nice looking set of chrome mounts made specifically to fit the 900 (they only cost ~$30 as an "upgrade" in place of the ugly/useless/free "universal" mounts they will send with the bags). I bought these "upgrades" and, while they look nice, their three mounting holes for the bags are too close together, allowing for a LOT of flex. I solved the problem by:
1. Using the three mounting holes, plus...
2. Using two long bolts and spacers to turn the two points where the bracket attaches to the frame into mounts for the bag as well, plus...
3. Using nylon washers outside, and metal fender washers inside the bags to prevent cracking around the holes, and finally...
4. Making a custom aluminum bracket that attaches the bags to each other for stability. Mutazu and others sell braces/brackets like these, but I didn't feel like placing another order. (Incidentally, this bracket is where we ran the wires for the lights, splicing them in behind the taillight.)
All together, this system makes the bags VERY stable, which is what I wanted as I need to carry lunch, shoes, and a backpack to work every day!

In the end, I probably would have saved a lot of headache by just buying the Kawasaki OEM mounts (as seen on the 900LT) -- but they would have cost a good bit more.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey Ken, I have the RS bags on my bike. I've been real pleased with them. I did have a problem with the tail light lens covers fading to an ugly pink, but because I've been working in Shreveport and had my bike outside all summer. Recently I went on a trip to Red River New Mexico and took the bike on a road Poncho Villa would be proud of (high mountain rock road...not gravel, I left gravel 5 miles back) and cracked the other tail light lens. When I got back, I called Mutazu to order a pair of tail light lens covers. They were very helpful, but I ended up purchasing a pair of their burgundy/maroon RS bags instead. I took a chance, but the color of the bike and bags don't match. I actually think I like the color of the new bags better than the candy diamond red. Anyway, I'm at home now and the bike is at my camper in Shreveport. When I get back, I'll try to take a picture of the bags mounted and post them. I did make my own brackets and try to draw them in closer to the bike as much as possible. The brackets they come with are flimsy.

#11 ·
Some people have had luck mounting the bags to the OEM saddlebag mounts. You can get them from Kawasaki for around $180, or if you have an 'LT' model 900 or 1700 (or presumably other big twin Kawi's as well) you've already got 'em!

#13 ·
Ken, the secret will be in the brackets ... do not use quick release brackets, they will not support the bags ... use the kawasaki OEM brackets, they are not cheap, they will however support the bag as well as the weight of your gear. These brackets aint cheap, try ebay or on here, maybe a bike wreckers.

You have seen my MU's, they are still hanging in tough. No cracks what ever, if you need the photo links to the install, pm me and i will send them to you direct. Some have had issues with cracks, probably the brackets they have use, and locks, over stuffing them to the point of having to much preasure on the doors and locks.

Treat them right and they will look after you.

Cheers Maurice

#14 ·
I hope I can remember how to post these:

Overcast day today, color difference doesn't really show that much, but maybe you can tell the difference.

Reactions: Jim Dix
#16 ·
Hi, long time lurker, new member here. I put the RS bags on my 900 custom around April or so, and they have been working great. They are cheap plastic, but it's thick and sturdy plastic. I paid extra for the upgraded mounting brackets, and they are ok I guess, but the bags do bounce around a bit. I have the lights hooked up as running lights and they work great too. They aren't the coolest looking bags, but they are big and hold a ton of stuff (note the pic of my helmet and jacket in one bag), which means I get to ride my bike more often and take the car less.

#19 ·
I just recently installed the Mutazu MU bags on my bike and I couldn't be happier with them. I used the Kawasaki mounts with oversized washers on the inside and out and they do not shake at all. The only problem I ran into was the wiring that comes with the bags to hook up to the parking/brake lights is about a foot too short. I had to extend the wiring to make it reach under the seat where i hooked it up. The back of the bike now lights up like a Christmas tree when I apply the brakes. Other than the wiring being a little too short, I don't think you can get a better set of hard bags for the price.

#24 ·
I'm not sure what bike you are mounting the bags to, but I have a classic 900 and wiring for the bike is black/yellow is the ground, red wire is running lights and the blue wire is brake lights. I'm not sure which wire is for the turn signals as I set mine up to be extra brake/running lights. I contacted Mutazu for the wiring codes for the bags. I have the MU bags so I'm not sure if the wiring is the same for your bags but the wiring for my bags are the green/yellow wire is the ground, the brown wire is for the running lights and the green is for the brake lights. I ran the wires from the bags under the fender to under the seat and connected all the wires there. The wires from the bags were about a foot too short so I had to add some extra wire myself. The wires were held into place with zip ties and I neatly bundled them next to the tool box under the seat. Hope this helps and good luck!

#26 ·
Old bags:cool:

New bags:D

Those things are huge!

If it wasn't for getting a good deal on a set of HL bags, that's what I would've gone with.

#29 ·
Looks good! I put some plugs in my wiring lines, just some standard 4 wire plugs. I tucked them between the fender and metal fender frame (inside). That way if I want to remove the bags I can. The guy who mounts my tires appreciates the "removing"plugs also.

#30 ·
Make sure the lids are latched securely when you close them. I have lost a couple of favorite ball caps because the lids came open and it was a few miles before I realized it.

#31 ·
Looks real nice ken, great job .... love the beer box as well

#34 ·
Installed my HL bags. Wow! I cannot believe how well they match the H-D Tour Pak. I no longer want RS bags, if for no other reason then these look GREAT with the tour pak.

I'm going to change the mounting up a bit. I used the Mutazu brackets which required spacers (I just used the OEM saddlebag mounts as spacers, more on that in a second) which mounted them pretty far outward. Reason being, I couldn't find my drill to drill holes for the OEM saddlebag mounts, and I was excited to get them on because I plan on doing some riding today! However, they will be mounted using the OEM stands here soon. That'll bring them in closer to the bike and perhaps reduce some of the 'sway'.

These are not $1,000 bags, but man, I'd believe they were $500 bags... Much sturdier than I expected for the price I paid. Lid latches securely with a nice click, lock works well, I'm happy! I just want to 'shore up' the mounting a bit, because I would like to put the luggage racks from Mutazu on top of these bad boys, and then when we go on trips, do the same thing we did before; pack dufflebags strapped on top of the saddlebags. Only with hard bags with luggage racks, it should be even easier!

#35 ·
Looks sharp, but slightly off topic why do you still have your sissy bar mounts still on the bike? Do they hold something other than the sissy bar or is it just a good hand hold for the wife? or something to strap tie downs too? Just wondering.

#36 ·
If you look really closely, you'll see some stainless hex head bolts in there! That custom-welded mount that someone gave me for that tour pak bolts to the sissy bar mounts.

I've been thinking about 'switching' to a wompus rack (Already have one, it's for sale but nobody seems to want it) over that, think it might look better, I dunno. I'm definitely going to put Harley tail lights on and cut out that diamond plate LED light holder, get rid of that.

Wife doesn't use any handholds. When she's on the back of mine her hands are usually on her DSLR! She's a photography nut and loves to snap pictures of wildlife and scenery when we ride. She says she feels really 'strapped in' with that Harley backrest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.