Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Intake Questions

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Damo222 
#1 ·
Hi there all,
I am looking into doing the Big 3 for my 09 VV and was wondering about the difference in the K&N filter and the 51010 Thunder kit,is their much difference between the two of them, I am also going to the PCV and Tri-Ovals here soon,so I would appreciate comments about which would be the better fit for my ride.

Thanks John

#2 ·
I am in the same process and will say if you pull up the kawasaki diagram of the air intake you will see how restrictive it is. The thunder kit also uses a K&N filter that mounts directly over the throttle body. With the big dog bowl covering it, they have several different setups to chose from. I went with the vance and hines slip ons and still havent ordered a pcv yet but do plan on it. Our you trying to gain more performance or get rid of heat?

#5 ·
I have the Thunder Manufacturing Odyssey BAK, Cobra tri-ovals, and PCV w/ autotune. The bike has more power, runs cooler and gets better MPG now. The bike rarely gets over the half-way mark on the temp gauge. The bike has a lot more usable power and I seem to get about 4-6 MPG more than I did before all of these mods were done. The Odyssey BAK is a little louder than stock, but I think the looks and performance were worth it. You can get the kit that uses you factory right intake cover, but it uses a K & N and it does NOT continue to draw air through that restrictive factory design that pulls air from the left side cover and runs the air between the two heat soaked cylinders.

#7 ·
I get about 42 mpg, but I have been riding fairly heavy handed since I got it back together due to the increased power. I hope to get a little more when I calm it down some. The factory cover will be a little less noisy and I still love the look of the factory covers.

#8 ·
Hi there all,
I am looking into doing the Big 3 for my 09 VV and was wondering about the difference in the K&N filter and the 51010 Thunder kit,is their much difference between the two of them, I am also going to the PCV and Tri-Ovals here soon,so I would appreciate comments about which would be the better fit for my ride.
Thanks John
Go with the 51010 kit, it's the one I have. But there will be a down side to it.You will hear more noise from the engine. I have read that it bothers some but it doesn't bother me and I get the power I want.:)

#9 ·
I did the DIY air intake described elsewhere on this or the other forum. Cost about $50. Too soon to have a mpg figure, but it does seem to run smoother. I don't feel a surge of power at the light change, but I think its there. The bike's loud and I'm kind of hard of hearing, so I can't comment if there's extra noise - I don't hear any. I already had a Fi2000 controller and Cobra short pipes.
Basically, what I did was found a 6" stainless steel clean-out cover in the plumbing section at Lowe's for $6, traced the throttlebody, drilled holes in the cover, snugged the center bolt down with 2 washers, bought a Specter air filter at Autozone for $21 and drilled hole in the center, put some weather stripping rubber around the cover plate, and fastened it down with an acorn nut on the center bolt. The Specter filter comes with rubber on it - you take that off 'cause you don't need it.

#12 ·
Does the Thunder Kit add more air that just a K&N Filter swap?
John
Yes, but only from about 1/4 throttle to full throttle. Another PLUS would be the temperature of the air compared to stock.

#11 ·
I defaffled the pipes (only the very centre ones), fitted an EJK controller and made my own BAK (RAMFLO 1000 series air filter, after removing the complete Kwaka air system). I now get 45 mpg no worries.
Goes like a rocket but the induction noises are big. I dont mind it too much its only when you wind it on hard.
We can only do 110kph over here, the wowsers wont let us go any faster. So the induction noise isnt a real problem when i'm cruising.
(secretly i love that huge induction noise, it sounds just like an old V8 with a four barrel carby).

#13 · (Edited)
We can only do 110kph over here, the wowsers wont let us go any faster.
By "wowsers" I take it that you mean the "bronze" ;)

The only Ozzie slang I know is from Mad Max, Crocodile Dundee and ancient reruns of Skippy (The Bush Kangaroo) :eek:

I noticed that you have an EJK...I just installed mine but the temperature is currently hovering around 3C/37F.

I'm looking forward to thoroughly road testing my new Bully (EJK) as soon as we get some nicer weather. Our Canadian winter is just starting up here and I try not to drive the bike when black ice is a possibility.

#14 ·
Mad Max, top movie, if ya wanna see some typical Aussie humour watch a movie called "The Castle", its gold.I took the Nomad for a good run today, i'm more than impressed with its performance. Mid to high range torque is much better, i would be interested to Dyno it but over here it seems to cost a fortune. They want blood and ya first born child. We get temps that low here as well but we dont get the black ice unless we go up to the mountains and if ya go up there you can hear banjo's....(Deliverance)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.