Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Good mods to do?

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  hawkwolf 
#1 ·
whats a good list of mods that are out there to do?

#3 ·
that is really an open ended question...
The only real limitation is your imagination and what you want the bike to be..
Mods range from Air intakes to Windshields... And all in between...

#7 ·
Depends on what "path" you want to take the bike (looks and performance wise) and also your budget.

Most do the big three (new pipes, intake, fuel processor).

After that, other than perhaps a new front pulley, it's really all cosmetic.

#6 ·
the only "MUST DO" is ride it and enjoy. :D :D :D

I started out with an 08 classic and I have only added parts to make it equal to an LT. (Bags, sissy bar, windshield, crashbar, Passenger Footboards and so on.)

#12 ·
There is an aftermarket front pully, runs about $200 I think. Maybe a bit more.

it's one tooth larger in size. This "spreads" the gears out. Makes it almost like a 6 speed.

it does lose some torque, but this bike has so much you have to put it on a dyno to know it's gone.

Doing this makes 1st gear actually mean something. (not having to shift so soon)

#13 ·
When I got my 2008 LT, the first thing I did was to add power: for phone, GPS, whatever needed electrical recharging.

Next was the luggage rack I built. I did not like the height of the one's available from the suppliers. I built mine low, relocated the license plate, and painted it a hammered finish black.

Next was to build larger "lowers" for the forks; the one's the PO added were helpful, but I thought they would work better if they were higher. Then a couple of brackets to put more lean rearward into the windscreen. Buffeting is much reduced now.

Then I got ambitious: I built a two-into-one slip-on muffler. That took some experimenting, finally ending up with two baffles, one up front, and one in the rear, to get the decibels under 96 at cruise.

Next was the front pulley, which did make a difference, and this weekend I added the Euro Gears. My phones GPS app says my speedo is almost correct now, within a couple MPH, and the ride this past Sunday backs this up. It feels like 70 in 5th is just above idle (it isn't, but that is the level of change).

I am almost done building my "Tour-Pack" from foam-core and fiberglass. It is a bit taller than most, but stays below the top of the sissy bar, and being foam core, it will double as an ice-chest if needed. It is reverse-shape/mirror-image of the saddlebags, and the wife will cover in leather to match the factory bags.

Next will be a fuel commander, and intake, or maybe just fuel commander. She runs rich, lots of soot in the pipes, so I want to do something with that. Or maybe the next mod will be a hitch so I can pull the "Time-Out" trailer I bought a couple of weeks ago.

At some point, probably within the next 3000-4000 miles, I will go "Dark-side". This is based on the current wear rate on the Excedra Max I mounted about a thousand miles ago.

Belle now has 5300 miles on her. Not bad considering I bought her with 2300 back around Father's Day. Also, I am a consultant, I travel four days a week, so am not home to ride except on weekends.

Rubber side down, Shiny Side up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.