Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

True Duals

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  NCPiper 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity, has anyone done or tried to do a true dual exhaust (1 pipe per side) on VN800B (Classic). If so does anyone have pics. I am converting my classic to a bagger next winter and looking for ideas.
All input (positive or negative) is greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
im currently workning on a true dual and running the rear cylinder under the frame b/c going thru and between is too tight, seems like it would cause heating problems and I would have to relocate the ignition switch. I'm using stock mufflers that I gutted and rewelded and a small diameter(38mm) pipe set from a inline 4 b/c it has alot of bends and angles also it was cheap but hope to get some bigger later when I see how she sounds and runs

#5 ·
You've taken on quite a challange. After reading your post I walk out to my bike, currently on a lift, and looked at the potential issues. Are you sure that you'll have adequate ground clearance running the pipe under the frame? My stock 800 has only 4.5 inches of clearance between the lowest point on the frame to the ground. Subtracting 1.5 inches for the pipe and anny clearance you add to get the pipe off the frame, I would have under 3 inches of clearance. Curbs, suspension movement, 2 up riding, speed bumps would all give me a great cause for concern. Given any thought of re-routing the front cyl around the front of the frame? I know the oil filter is right there but.....

#6 ·
thanks for the info and yes i have taken into concideration of clearance but it just a prototype. so if i hit hopefully i dont tear it clear off HEHEE as for rerouting the the front i have thot of going between the jug and fan and around to the other side but that would make the front quite long as far as exhaust travel. im not and proformance expert nor exhaust master but figured extreme differance isnt that good of a thing. its not gonna be show quality nor kimchee rigging if you wanna check out a whole tone of pics on facebook look for Miget Chargualaf and album 2012 project Kawasaki Vulcan
again thanks good luck and safe rides

#7 ·
Wouldnt do the front pipe around to the left because like you said, the length of the pipe would have an undesirable affect on performance with the short pipe on the other side. Another under frame possibilty is to use a flat pipe under the frame for ground clearance. I dont mean to crush it flat, but maybe a 3/4" pipe split in 1/2 with a flat portion, so you have something, maybe 3/4" high by 3" wide?

#8 ·
Rick very cool idea got me thinking
oh i think i forgot to mention that im running it a little ways back under where the frame starts to angle up and not directly under. the suspension i believe should be ok b/c when the bike comes down the part that is there should go up but again comes down when going over a bump and the bike bounces up or vice versa. well i hope to get it all welded up by Wednesday ill let you guys know how she comes out. sink or swim HEHEE

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
thats what i did on my 900

#10 ·
The problem there Bigworm is I have not been able to find a 2-1 system for the 800s. The Drifter came stock that way, but looking at over $1000 for that one. However, Ive been thinking about making my own from the stock 2 muffler system on the 800 classic. With a small welder and a little enginuity, shouldnt be hard to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.