Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

V2K "Features" {Good Things}

10K views 64 replies 15 participants last post by  Jammin'John 
#1 ·
See less See more
#9 ·
Tourer

They should have made it a tourer.
They could have put it in an aluminum frame.
They could always re introduce it.
Lot's of times a maker will drop a bike for a season or three.{suzuki bandit comes to mind}.

JJ

#10 ·
Uh Oh, I just sat on a huge ....

'09 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT, brand new leftover, at a dealer, when I was on a trip and had a few hours free to go look. Wanted 13K for it taxes and all out the door. I have no trade.

My, my was it super fantastic. This could be the one. No engine guards. I have some questions:

1. Is this a realistic price? What do you think would be rock bottom (... even though I will let them have a reasonable profit)?
2. Do I get them to put on Kawa engine guards or go buy aftermarkets?
3. Same question for rear guards?
4. Does one need to adjust the rear shock for 2-Up riding and, if so, is it easily accomplished?
5. Is there anything you would advise me to ask for like add-ons to the bike in the negotiation?
:desire:

#11 ·
Run

RUN AWAY FROM THAT DEALER AND NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN !:go-away:

Is this a realistic price? no

Do I get them to put on Kawa engine guards or go buy aftermarkets?

You NEVER talk to them again.:nailbiting:

Same question for rear guards? same answer RUN :excruciating:

Does one need to adjust the rear shock for 2-Up riding and, if so, is it easily accomplished? yes

Is there anything you would advise me to ask for like add-ons to the bike in the negotiation?

NO. By now you should be in another state.:freaked-out:

JJ

#12 ·
HaHaHaHa

Don't quibble! Tell me your real opinion!

What should the price be?

#15 ·
How its Calculated?

JJ & Who: How does one get $ 12,883 "out the door" from a "sale price" of $ 11,600 on that new leftover 2010 VN2000 Classic LT that JJ has linked? I saw that too on Cycletrader. I'd say $ 9,500 could be low but perhaps a good starting point to reach something more realistic. [Of course $ 13K "out the door" was too high.]

As this is a leftover 2009 that I saw, it would have to be worth something less than sale price $11.6K and out the door price of $12.9K for a leftover 2010.

#17 ·
JJ & Who: How does one get $ 12,883 "out the door" from a "sale price" of $ 11,600 on that new leftover 2010 VN2000 Classic LT that JJ has linked? I saw that too on Cycletrader. I'd say $ 9,500 could be low but perhaps a good starting point to reach something more realistic. [Of course $ 13K "out the door" was too high.]

As this is a leftover 2009 that I saw, it would have to be worth something less than sale price $11.6K and out the door price of $12.9K for a leftover 2010.
MMOJO, Regardless of the price upon which you decide, its YOU who has to stroke the check , so as long as you are happy, thats what counts. I personally think 9200 is a great starting point & it should be not far off the finish line , either, unless you start adding OEM trinkets .
As for some of your other questions, I would recommend Cobra Fatty freeway bars over the Kawi bars, they are a one piece /heavier bar than the Kawi
I have had both.
I have not seen any rear guards for these bikes.
Suspension adjustment, depends upon your size ? its not complicated,
Anything else: leave enough cash on the table to throw away the factory seats & replace them with almost ANY aftermarket, I am partial to Mustang , but there other s as well.
Bigger bags could also be an upgrade to be considered, or a trunk

#16 · (Edited)
I was looking for the bill of sale on mine and can't find it at the moment but, from memory, I paid something like $9200 or $9400 out the door with the 4 year warranty when I bought my 2008 new from a dealer, zero miles, in 2010.

In hindsight, even though it's a carryover, it might be harder to get as good of a deal as quite a few of us did because the bike is discontinued now.

Possibly the higher price is tax/license, might try to stick you with dealer prep fees, maybe they've figuring in the GTTP cost, etc. etc.

#19 ·
Bags, Seat, Bars

The one-piece thicker bar you recommend -- that is a good idea.

Bigger bags, you'd recommend which ones for a VN2000?

I really like the looks of the studded seats on this bike -- I hope either the seat conforms to my _____ or that my _____ conforms to the seat. Whichever.

BTW, what kind of touring range in miles do you get with a VN2000?

I wonder what the chances are that the dealer would come all the way down to something like $10K? That's a reduction of $3K. Its still higher than $9.5K.

#21 ·
The one-piece thicker bar you recommend -- that is a good idea.

Bigger bags, you'd recommend which ones for a VN2000?

I really like the looks of the studded seats on this bike -- I hope either the seat conforms to my _____ or that my _____ conforms to the seat. Whichever.

BTW, what kind of touring range in miles do you get with a VN2000?

I wonder what the chances are that the dealer would come all the way down to something like $10K? That's a reduction of $3K. Its still higher than $9.5K.
MM,
On mine, I went with the Kawi bar. I have the stock bags but have a leatherlyke trunk that I mount to the luggage rack when we travel.
The stock seat didn't conform to my arse. I got an ultimate. You can get them with the studs that match the stock studs exactly.
I get 40 - 42mpg on mine 2 up. 5.5 gallon tank. Do the math.
I usually fill up around 175 - 200 miles.

I paid 12K for mine out the door in early '09 for an '08. More than some, but happy with it. Since the one you're looking at is 4 years old at the dealer, I would think you could do better than I did.

32K miles and counting...

#20 ·
I bought my new 2009 V2K Classic LT form a dealer in Jersey in October 2011 for $9400. i had it shipped to me here in Florida via UShip for $250. I felt that I got a great deal. Never even sat on one before buying it. As of yesterday have 6000 miles on it. What a great cruiser. Haven't needed to adjust shock for 2 up. Have the Cobra fatty Bars on it with Kuryakin adjustable offset pegs. A great combo for this bike. Added the Cobra Tachometer to the riser, also a fine piece of equipment. Freedom Performance pipes, K & N filter and Cobra Fi2000r fuel processor and this baby flies.

#23 ·
In answer to the question as to why Kawasaki stopped making the V2K

Kawi spent 4 years, from 1997 to 2001, doing market research on what the American male wanted in a bike.

It then took an additional three years to design and bring to production the V2K... based off that survey of bigger, badder, meaner.

Problem was, by then almost a decade had passed and what the American male wanted had changed; they wanted the road kings and the ultra glides.

That's what prompted the V2K classic (windshield/bags). But it still was not enough, so they came out with the Voyager and the Vaquero.

What they SHOULD have done, was take the frame/engine of the V2K, and molded that into the Vaquero. That would have been the true ultimate machine.

#27 ·
Gas

I guess I should have said"It's very easy to get low to middle 40's for mileage if you hold the go stick steady."
Hard to do that on this bike.
If I ride a steady 60ish and only pass the cars that are actually going too slow I get low 40's.
It seems like a lot of you guys do the interstate at 80+.
Not my cup of tea. I don't find any fun factor on the superslab.
In my normal riding where I pass a lot of cars and ride the town & county roads at 60 - 70 mph it's easy to get middle 30's.

JJ

#29 ·
I believe that the quality of fuel has a big bearing upon my mileage. Crappy fuel= low mpg. It is almost as big a factor as the twist of the right wrist.
Also a carried load is easier on fuel than a towed load, thus trailer decreases mpg
When ever it needs juice, I just top it off, who really worries about mpg??? the ONLY thing I know for sure, when the low fuel light starts flashing & I back out of the throttle, my MPG increases along with the "pucker "factor, cuz I can NOT push this beast to the pump!!!
LOL

#30 ·
I'm not really all that concerned about the MPG either, it's just a fairly common talking point and interesting because the reports are so varied. That said, based on my recollections of discussions, I think the bell curve would be centered in the mid/upper 30's.

#33 ·
#36 · (Edited)
I believe you can get that bike for under $10K, maybe not much under, but of course the dealer is hoping some sucker will pay his MRSP . You cant bargain UP !! LOL
I paid 8000 cash for my 08 Classic new, in 2010 but its a Classic , NOT a LT

#37 ·
I would LOVE to have a V2K based touring bike.

It seems the market is the mid ranged bikes though. LOTS of new and returning riders, AND, lots of riders getting older, and a lighter bike is cheaper than a trike.

I bought MY mid-sized bike because I was a brand new rider. Low investment, easy to ride, cheap to maintain and insure, and still enough to handle a long haul. Like to have a big twin one day but I'm not in a hurry. And that's the market right now!

I suspect in several years though, as the big influx of new riders becomes more proficient and begins to figure out what type of riding they enjoy doing, the market may bounce towards bigger machines again.

#38 ·
Bmw

Back in the day a 750 was considered big.
The trouble with a v twin is that it takes some cc's {inches} to make power.
Try a 600cc sport bike,it's plenty fast.

JJ

#40 ·
Back in the day a 750 was considered big.
The trouble with a v twin is that it takes some cc's {inches} to make power.
Try a 600cc sport bike,it's plenty fast.

JJ
Its like expecting a Freightliner with a 425 cat to be faster than a Mustang Cobra with 5.8L because it has more displacement. My 650 Nighthawk would smoke my 1500 classic but to get me big hind end (at the time 300lb) pulled out on that 650 it took a bit more clutch slipping than it did on the 1500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.