Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1700 Classic discontinued for 2013...

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  zatovisualworks 
#1 ·
I see in the latest issue of Cruiser magazine that the 1700 Classic has been discontinued for 2013 (and for who knows how long). Very sad to see that. I came so close to picking one up last year, but ultimately opted for something else...but I still really, really like the model and in my mind it fit a gap in Kawi's lineup that the Mean Streak left behind several years ago. But I do understand that my preference for a clean/naked big-cc cruiser isn't the market's preference, that most when they get up to that size and price-point want more of the bagger/touring options. Still, for me the news was disappointing.

#2 ·
Well, glad I have my 09 then :)

#4 ·
I think the LT was discontinued the year before correct?

#5 ·
Not to worry if you are a Classic Fan!

The 1700 Classic has not been discontinued for 2013!

Cruiser Magazine has simply released premature/incomplete info...like they seem to do every year.

They also didn't mention the new Goldwing F6B or the new Suzuki C90T Black-Bagger and probably several other new or carried-over models.

#8 ·
But it wasn't that they just didn't mention or list it, it wasn't just the omission from the Buyer's Guide...they expressely state on page 12 that "...Kawasaki has dropped the Vulcan 1700 Classic for 2013, though the rest of the Vulcan 1700 line remains..." That's pretty cut-and-dry. It may be wrong, if you have information that they don't, but it's not premature or incomplete...they're very clearly stating it's gone. I hope you're right, though, and they're wrong. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

#9 ·
But if you click on the 1700 Classic picture the info it displays states 2012; clicking on the other cruiser models shows 2013. Along with the article quote I provide above, this would seem to go to affirm that it's been discontinued for 2013.

#10 ·
The market really is shifting to mid size cruisers. I think there is a big influx of new and returning riders and the mid size cruiser fits that bill.

That's good new for H-D, since they still make a clean big displacement bike (Softail), but I am surprised, guess it wasn't selling well. I don't recall the price point differences but, I suppose that one thing that may have killed them is the fact that for a little bit more, you can get hard bags and electronic cruise control, and a good looking windshield, on the Nomad.

#11 ·
Since I own a Mean Streak, I will say that I don't not believe the Classic is near the performance, suspension, styling and brakes of the mean streak.

You can strip a nomad to more of a classic if that is your desire.

#13 · (Edited)
I wasn't trying to draw a comparison as far as perfomance or build goes...clearly they're very different bikes. I simply meant that both were clean/naked (i.e. no standard bags, shields, fairings, etc.) big cc bikes in the Kawi lineup. Now -- if the 1700 has been eliminated -- that type of bike stops with the 900 Custom and Classic. Anything above it comes standard with bags, etc. That's fine for those who want that type of thing...but there are still some riders like me who do not, and also don't want to start stripping our brand-new bikes to get the bike we want -- which is why I thought it was unfortunate that that option has apparently been removed (as the Mean Streak was before it) from the Kawi lineup.

I get, though, that Kawasaki has to answer to market demand, and if loaded baggers and tourers are what the majority of the 1000+ cc crowd wants, then ultimately it was a wise move on Kawi's part. On a personal level, I just found it unfortunate.

#15 · (Edited)
Hi guys (and hope also gals):

If eventually the 1700Classic goes discontinued, the best for us, pleased owners of them! We are going to own and ride really historical exclusive classics!

Vulcanic greetings from this European sixty-year-old veteran Vulcaner! Pioneer in Vulcanic Mars Exploration

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.