Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

December BOTM entry thread!

10K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  MN-Rider 
#1 ·
Please post your bikes here to be entered in this month's Bike of the Month contest!

To enter your Vulcan, all you need to do is tell us a little about it, and post some photo(s). And don't forget the story behind the bike because that can often turn the trick!

The winner for each round will be chosen by our members' votes! A new voting thread will be created near the end of the month.

Year:
Model:
Eng size:
Pipes:
Seat:
Wheels:
Accessories:
And the story:

As long as you haven't won in the past year you can enter again.

Please post your entries in the active month's thread. That thread will be closed at the end of the month. We'll start a poll with that month's entries and the winner will be named and have their bike featured on the home page.

Also note that if you are new to the forums, you will not be able to vote in the contest until you have accumulated 15 posts

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My Vulcan

Setting the entry bar pretty low :)

Year: 2009
Model: Vulcan 1700 Classic
Eng size: 1700cc
Pipes: Stock (going to keep stock or make it quieter)
Seat: Stock (Mustangs look good, but stock is comfy so far)
Wheels: Stock
Accessories: Windshield (came with). Going to get a Cobra short round sissy bar (with pad), Saddlemen Wide Sport Tunnel Bag and a Daytona Gear Magnetic Tank Bag soon.

I have always wanted a motorcycle. At 40, I was finally financially stable enough to get one and still have shelter and food at the same time.

So, having gotten several "always wanted" things, I figured that I had better be sure before laying the money down. I got a cheap, Chinese 150cc scooter to make sure that I even liked riding on two wheels. I LOVED it. So, I started looking and reading and watching videos. I took the MSF Riding Course.

My first thought was the Honda Shadow Spirit (600cc), then I was looking at the Suzuki C50 (800cc). I did a 200 mile round trip to as many of the motorcycle dealerships in the area that I could find. A Suzuki dealership didn't have any Suzuki cruisers.... but they did have a brand new, never been sold 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic (with an added windshield). Salesman said he would take $1000 off the already marked down price. Riding coach said I should get the 1700. Wife said "Get it now!" before it was sold. I called the next business day and said I wanted it and was getting the loan ready. Salesman said at least three people wanted to buy it after that. But it was mine.

A little over three weeks later, I am over 500 miles of riding and still Loving it!
(I got on the scooter yesterday evening to do a test ride before selling it and the scooter is terrifying! Its so small!! ...and so SOLD!)

"The Overlook" on the Natchez Trace

Riverbend on the Natchez Trace

With the Scooter it replaced

Another angle with the scooter

I did use some chrome pointed license plate fasteners I bought at a Flying J truck stop.

and my first 'accessory' - a kickstand shoe. :)

(Can enlarge pics at My Blog Entry.)

#4 ·
Just realized that for the last three months the winner has had Freedom Performance pipes. I knew they were good looking pipes... :D

#5 ·
Hey Gray, congrats on your new bike. Thats a great bike with a sweet motor that will last you a really really long time! As for setting the bar low, Id say no way. thats a good bike with a good story, as for the shiny stuff, you can do all that over time and really make the bike your own style. Costomizing is half the fun of bike ownership! Good luck Gray.

RIDE ON BROS!

#6 ·
BOTM Entry

My name is Aaron and I have been riding for many years from the west coast to the east. I live in Dequincy, La. and work in a Petrochemical plant as an Instrument and Controls Technician. I ride a 2007 Vulcan 2000 Classic that I have added some enhancements too!!! Thie is a great Beast of a bike and love riding it. I have just moved over to the Darkside and loving it so far!! Ple
ase vote for me if you like what I have done!!! Thank's and ride Safe!!
My Bike-
Year-2007
Model-Vulcan 2000 Classic
Engine size-2053cc
Pipes-Cobra Longshots
Seat-Nothing special yet, Airhawk II
Wheels-Stock wheels show chromed, rotors show chromed
Accessories-PCIII USB,Baron BAK,Chrome controls,levers and Skeleton mirrors,Diamond LED Blinkers,Curved LED license plate holder,Chrome rotor covers,rear axle nut covers, Spike adj.nut covers,tuxedo tail,smoked taillight and blacked out bottom windshield(National Cycles),Jardine Ca. floorboards,skull brake pedal,shifter knob covers,Nitto NT450 225/50/r16 Vrated Extreme Performance rear tire, resistor mod kit, Dyno'd at Third coast speed @ 117HP and 135 Torque, Very Impressive Beast!!!!!
*Just installed Mustang Studded wide touring seat, it's awesome!!!

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Custom Vulcan from Melbourne

Hi all,
Please consider my almost finished project.
My name is Fernando and I am a Technical & Warranty Analyst for Mazda Australia.

Here are some details of my bike:

Year: it's a 2008
Model: Customised Custom
Eng size: 900
Pipes: Some unknown made in Chine brand.
Seat: Custom made from the original one
Wheels: Stock, painted.
Accessories: La Rosa Leather bag

And the story:
I am located in Melbourne, Australia and I got this motorcycle a few months ago, not running with the electrics looking like a confused plate of spaghetti.
After a few days of trial and error and with the good help of the Internets, I finally heard it purr for the first time.
Unfortunately the previous owner attempted to modify it and basically stuffed just about anything he touched.
After a lot of sorting, including the shape of the fuel tank, and the addition of a old style rear guard and old style light, I have now almost finished it
I had to so some fabrication to be able to brace the back of the frame and at the same time mount my newly shaped seat.
Also, the way the rear mudguard is mounted took some creation, specially where if mounts to the front part of the swing arm. All mounting hardware was hand made.
The current mufflers is again different to what is showing on the photos but not by much.
Anyway, please comment as you will and thank you for watching

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi all,
Please consider my almost finished project.
My name is Fernando and I am a Technical & Warranty Analyst for Mazda Australia.

Here are some details of my bike:

Year: it's a 2008
Model: Customised Custom
Eng size: 900
Pipes: Some unknown made in Chine brand.
Seat: Custom made from the original one
Wheels: Stock, painted.
Accessories: La Rosa Leather bag

And the story:
I am located in Melbourne, Australia and I got this motorcycle a few months ago, not running with the electrics looking like a confused plate of spaghetti.
After a few days of trial and error and with the good help of the Internets, I finally heard it purr for the first time.
Unfortunately the previous owner attempted to modify it and basically stuffed just about anything he touched.
After a lot of sorting, including the shape of the fuel tank, and the addition of a old style rear guard and old style light, I have now almost finished it
I had to so some fabrication to be able to brace the back of the frame and at the same time mount my newly shaped seat.
Also, the way the rear mudguard is mounted took some creation, specially where if mounts to the front part of the swing arm. All mounting hardware was hand made.
The current mufflers is again different to what is showing on the photos but not by much.
Anyway, please comment as you will and thank you for watching
I really like the covers you have on those pipes. The black makes it look really cool!

#11 ·
OK, I was in last month's voting, but honestly, nobody stood a chance against smedlin's bike. That thing is stunning!

Anyways, I'll throw my hat in the ring one more time.

Year: 2001
Model: Drifter
Eng size: 1500
Pipes: Vance & Hines Longshots
Seat: Fire & Steel
Wheels: Stock Spokes
Accessories: The list is long, check out the story
And the story: OK, here goes.........

I wanted bike that the wife and I could enjoy before she could no longer ride. You see, she has Muscular Dystrophy, and it's degenerative, so one day she won't be able to ride anymore, but in the meantime, we ride!

I've added floorboards for my wife (on custom made brackets), and did a ton of my own custom leatherwork (a skill I picked up many years ago). All of the floorboard skirts, tour pack leatherwork, and fender skirts are my own work. The tank bra and rear fender bib are from Chilowee leathers. There's Iso grips under the fringed and laced covers for my comfort. The pipes are Vance & Hines Longshots that have a nice throaty sound with a bit of bark with a twist of the wrist. I've also added a Meanstreak clutch pack with the 2 piece holders that give the bike a more positive feel. I also fabricated my own license plate lay down bracket that is totally hidden for a nice clean look. The tank badges and air cleaner emblems are from Zambini Bros (I've stripped all the brand labels from the bike totally). The tour pack is an old '69 Harley shovelhead pack (custom made brackets) that I fitted with a current model Harley wraparound backrest pad (to keep the wife planted). I created a bracket to move the rectifier under the radiator and in it's place on the left side I've mounted a 50's era chrome Harley tool box on a custom made bracket. I've also added amber fog lamps and a custom bag behind the Nomad style windshield. The mirrors have been swapped out for some Emge mirrors that are a bit more curvaceous. On the 2up seat, I stripped it down and added gel pads to it for comfort (mostly for the wife).

The future calls for a little more leather work, a fender light I've had for a while now, and I'm working on some home made lowers. After that, maybe paint, if I can make up my mind on something.

Personally, I like the solo look best, but I ride with the 2up look most of the time.

But enough words, how about some pics?

Before fog lights and mirrors.............

Old mirrors and a chrome spark plug box in place of the windshield bag.....

#16 ·
my vulcan 1600 classic

year 2008
model vn 1600 classic
eng 1600
pipes V/H big shots
seat standard, but reupholstered
wheels stock
accessories, hepco becker rack and backrest, hiwayhawk radiator cover

have had my license and been riding just over 2 yrs, bikes in order, yam dragstar, vulcan900 custom, triumph america, yam 1300 xvs and now a bike i will keep my vulcan 1600, i don't take a pillion so removed pillion seat and replaced with the rack and backrest, removed passenger footpegs and made a stainless steel exhaust bracket, and a blanking plate for the other side,
i love this bike, so rider friendly, loads of torque, good brakes, simply a pleasure to ride, had to fit V/H ''quiet baffles'' to get through our MOT year inspection, but they still have an awsome throaty tone.
just waiting now for spring and some sunny days
jerry

#17 ·
Nice work on the seat, I like it. And that luggage rack/backrest looks really nice as well.

#18 ·
Year:2006
Model:VN2000
Eng size:2053cc
Pipes:Freedom performance
Seat:OEM
Wheels:chromed OEM
Accessories:to many to list
And the story: I always wanted a bike and after my second combat tour , afghanistan , i came back and started with a vstar 650, then a vn900 which i found to small shortly after, then the v2k. I found a classic lt then trimed her down and had painted etc etc. The paint is house of kolor cameleon , it changes blue to green in the sun. I recently put the ape hangers on myself and some new forward controls. sorry for the garage pics but i live in washington state now and havent seen the sun in a while.

here is what she looked like when i bought her

and her is what she looks like now

here is what the paint looks like in the sun watch it in 720p if you can

#20 ·
Well... I figured I lost by one vote in October and I didn't even vote for my own bike. :D Why not try one more time this year!

Year: 2007
Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Eng size: 903cc
Pipes: Britt
Seat: La Rosa Designs solo seat w/ pillion
Wheels: Stock
Accessories: *No-name headlight from local flea-market
*Hardbags, lids, fender from small garage fab shop...
*Tail Light from tractor trailer...
*Cobra Backrest (small)

The Story: I traded my very high mileage 2006 sportbike even up for this 2007 Vulcan with only 1,250 miles on it from a younger gentleman who had buyers remorse. In reality I think he was just too young to slow down and appreciate the ride. I commute 80 miles a day round trip to my job, and when the weather is above 50 F I generally take the bike. After 10,000 miles of backpacking it to work I decided to finally give my back a break and go bagger. After researching the available hard and soft bag offerings, nothing really appealed to me... so I decided why not go custom with the Custom. Mostly everything was purchased from e-bay, and I did all of the bike, mounts, and fender fabrication and modifications myself in my garage over the course of about 3 weeks here and there. I'm pleased with how it turned out, and the amount of cargo I can carry in the bags is astonishing. The handling of the bike is virtually unchanged, and my short legs enjoy the much reduced saddle height with the custom seat. A link to the build thread is below:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29118

Now for some pics... Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays to you and yours! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.