Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

97 800 Classic Running Hot!

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
So me and my wife decided to go for a ride on the bike yesterday, beautiful day about 65 degrees out. Rode bike about 30 min with no problems. Had a pizza and a couple of beers so bike sat for about an hour and a half. Left there rode about 15 min, had another beer so bike sat about 20 min. Left there bike was running fine but about after 30 min the bike started popping on the low end and wasnt taking off very well at all. I am assuming the bike was running hot. Light never came on, not sure if its working or not. The electric fan is working, coolant is good I had checked it the day before. Bike has straight pipes, K&N with a jet kit and thats about all for mods. My plugs to me look a little lean. Probably gonna take off EPA stuff today and adjust my carb a little. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Popping

Popping on low rpms'? I had that a past bike, but it was because I left the choke on. Could that be? Or maybe air cleaner clog, not enough air? Then I had a situation where it was running very lean and it would pop in high rpms. That was because I opened up the air intake.

#3 ·
wow

My choke won't stay out so I know that wasn't problem. Clean air cleaner and filter all the time. I'm very anal when it comes to maintenance. Grampsized the bike yesterday, removed all the emissions stuff, and today rejetted and put it all back together. Wow can't believe the difference, bike hauls ass. Went from a 130/48 jetting to a 170/50 and can't believe difference on test ride. Still gotta adjust carb a little. Think I have it 1.5 turns out. I amd pretty sure if you turn screw out adds more air and in adds more gas. Do you know for sure?

#4 ·
My choke won't stay out so I know that wasn't problem. Clean air cleaner and filter all the time. I'm very anal when it comes to maintenance. Grampsized the bike yesterday, removed all the emissions stuff, and today rejetted and put it all back together. Wow can't believe the difference, bike hauls ass. Went from a 130/48 jetting to a 170/50 and can't believe difference on test ride. Still gotta adjust carb a little. Think I have it 1.5 turns out. I amd pretty sure if you turn screw out adds more air and in adds more gas. Do you know for sure?
Adjusting mixture screw out adds more fuel to match the increased air flow from grampsizing. Please let us know your fuel mileage after the mods.

#10 · (Edited)
Sure will, need to turn mixture screw out to prob 2.5 abd. I think ill be good.
@Phil.........If that's the problem that sounds about right to me.

@DBallin..............Let her rip dude because you have it wound down too lean @ 1.5. Most people start at about 2 after doing what you did to the carb and airbox and work their way out from there. Of course, if you are as "detailed" as you say you are when it comes to maintenance then you will do best to fully check your plugs also when you fine tune your carb while running it.

#11 ·
Phil.... thanks for info that sounds exactly where im needing more fuel just from a quick test ride.

Comanche.... checked plugs after quick ride and it already looked better then where it was before, a little more tan then before. Gonna turn it out today to 2.5 and see how that goes.

Still cannot believe what a difference this has made. Bike has dual straight pipes and when I knelt down to do the straps on my bags the base from the pipes was so good i felt it in my chest, no bs. Gonna start lookin into checking my valve clearance. Have you guys done it? How hard is it to do? Might even look into cams for next year, pretty impressed by the bike now.

#12 ·
Valves and cams not hard to do specifically but every model and bike does have its own quirks. When you're ready for that just post up about the things you need help with and already know about because everyone on here is good about pitching in. This is probably the best site I've ever seen where people do actually help and give good advice. I've belonged to sites where people are always trying to find something wrong with what words others use as opposed to trying to help find out what is really wrong with a person's bike and help get it running again in top notch form. Let us know how you did with fine tuning your bike. I've seen best success on my bikes when I find the ideal settings by going just slightly past, backing down slightly past and then back up to the sweet spot because every bike has different internal wear and mechanical variables that affect its performance.

#13 ·
Please do not take offense to any of my posts because they are always given in good will and good spirits. Besides, I'm just trying to achieve Top Contributor Status!
You ain't kidding. I have seen you all over this forum. I think you may need to check your self into "PA" postaholics anonymous. :D

#15 ·
Haha! Just trying to help others out if I can since everyone else on here is good about helping out too including me when I need it. That TC comment is just for funning purposes only so people can get a laugh and not take things personal. It's easy to take written words out of context since the voice is unheard when conveying them thus the need for that qualifier. You once helped me too SWVA and if I'm not mistaken one of the first along with Romans and SFair. Take care and ride safe. :)

#14 ·
Yeah Comanche this site is definately a pretty good one. Ive had nothing but good experiences on here. Didint get a chance to work on her today, spent all day workin on the boat lol. Gonna try to get to it tomorrow. When Im ready for cams I will definately post for help on here everyone helps out great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.