Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

My new-to-me Vulcan 500 so far.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  old sinner 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I bought the 2001 bike about a month ago and it had 6200 miles on it..
The seller and I agreed it would need new tires and worked that into the price.....It ran strong but seemed to want to run more smoothly but didn't...
Clutch seemed to slip a little...took to dealer...This is an honest dealer with whom I have dealt for a few years now and they have my full confidence.....sooooooo, what happened? Oh, boy, a bunch..ended up with a ten percent discount on everything and still dropped $1250 to make it serviceable....Here's the list and I hope I get it all and dealer did all the labor involved:
Two new Michelin Commander II tires.
Two tubes.
Dealer found air filter saturated with gasoline. This led to discovery of leaking diaphram (I think I have that right) and so the petcock and the rest of that assembly was replaced....(part numbers 92055-1222 and 51023-1267)oart
New carb floats installed...gaskets installed on carbs or whatever.
Badly varnished carbs were cleaned..
carbs sychned..
oil and filter changed due to gasline leakage into oil...
clutch adjusted...
Delaer test rode it and could not make the clutch slip after the oil change..
Battery charging pigtail installed on battery...
Chain on bike was very stiff and kinked a great deal and I said put on a new one...aftermarket
part number 181767, description: 520XSO-113 RK
new front brake pads...

That's it as far as I can remember..

Of course I wish the bike had not been apparently neglected and not ridden much at all in 11 years but life goes on...
Cosmetically it is fine....I took a 30 mile ride on it after picking it up and it does run a good bit more smoothly and has more power than when I first had it..

I bought a used windshield from a forum member and am working on the install at this time..it is a challenge fitment wise, but I think it is just a matter of trial and error it eventually will be fine..

Not griping, just sharing..

Best wishes,

Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! That petcock can sure run $ repairs up quick. I run and 800 and had near the same thing. Exceptions being the tires and chain. Sure sounds like the dealer did a good job on finding a common flaw (in the 800s at least) and capturing each subsequent affected area. Treat that dealer well as I didn't see any uncommon or unecessary replacement parts there. Enjoy the scoot!

#3 ·
I am guessing the bike sat around unused for quite a bit of time before you got it, based on the issues.

I don't think you got "ripped off" as parts and labor at a dealer are usually significantly higher that an independent shop. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined at all you could have got his done for a couple hundred buck doing your own work.

If you are satisfied, that's what counts. I realize not everyone has the inclination or the time to turn their own wrenches. My opinion is that you found a good, honest dealer, so if anything else happens you can trust them not to make more of it than it really is.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thank you for supportive comments...I am in late seventies and do not have the desire to do most repairs..I do change my own oil and filter and can do spark plugs and install a new battery, and other stuff like that but don't have the patience or skills to tackle carbs and other more intricate tasks...

About the most complicated wrenching I have done to date is to install new clutch springs on a Yamaha I once owned...

Regards,
Bob

#6 ·
Old Sinner

Thanks for response...Another geezer...gee and I am grateful for that..
Too bad our towns are so far apart or we could ride together and create a "road hazard:. :D

I will look for your post about pig in a poke..I envy that your bike has the alloy wheels, or at least I think that year did...

Best wishes and stay 'young'.

Bob

#7 ·
Bikes are time machines man. There is no age and time stands forever still when you ride and stay on top of it! Until there's a mishap of course but anyway you get the point in that age means nothing when you ride.

#8 ·
Yeah Bob, the 1990 has the alloy wheels, and belt drive, this old bike has under 4k miles and looks great, hope I am lucky enough to get it on the road. Cell phone talkers and texters are the real road hazards, almost got hit at the gas station, just barely moving.
Maybe we should form a geezer club, gotta be at least 70-
Thanks for the reply,
Best to you, old sinner

#9 ·
Over 70 "club"

Old Sinner, Yep, older than 70 and still riding is a wonder to many..I hope and expect to ride into my eighties as well....I have made no plans concerning riding when I start to get old, though...Right now I am just 76...

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.