Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Best jackets?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Lunatic 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I live in central america, Panama to be exact.
I want to ask what is the best jacket for the weather down here, taking into consideration that it rains a lot and the temps are always around hi 80s low 90s douring day time and low to hi 70s at night. I want the best protection if i slip and weather proof if it rains.
Can you please guide me in the best possible direction?
Links are appreciated

#8 ·
Joe Rocket makes a jacket called military spec. It has the mesh armor and a liner for rain. Its worked well for me in 100+ heat. Dry heat though...

#11 ·
Aleco, We wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic Series, Ballistic 10.0 Jacket. We (wife and I) have been wearing the jackets for 3 full seasons. Our riding temps go from 5 degrees C. to mid 30's with humidity into the 40's. We have been caught in a number of downpours. The jackets have two liners, a vest for added warmth and a windproof liner. The outer sleave covering comes off the jacket to reveal a mesh sleave. There are two vertical zipped vents in the front and the back. Our jackets are a really bright green, that actually looks more yellow. This provides high visibility.
Now when it is mid 30's with humidity and you are stopped, it gets warm quick. However we have found the jackets generally pretty comfortable. Oh, BTW, we are ATGATT riders (All The Gear, All The Time). With sleaves removed and vents open it is not bad, with lots of airflow. While the jackets don't claim to be waterproof, we have stayed dry in all the areas the jackets covered. When all buttoned up and cold riding the jackets keep you pretty warm. I generally don't use the wind liner as I find little air gets in. Finally after three years and 30,000 K, the jackets still look pretty close to good as new. We clean them a couple times a year by throwing them in a tub with liquid dish soap and water. I would highly recommend them.

#13 ·
I can recommend Joe Rocket. It has a liner for rain, but I've yet to use it. There's adequate ventilation and it gives pretty good warmth for cooler weather. It's a good all-around jacket.

Plus, I went down on the interstate wearing that jacket. It does it's job.

#16 ·
When the Paramedic took out the scissors and said he was going to cut the jacket off me, I said, "Don't you dare! You know how much I paid for that jacket?"

I still have the jacket.

The only road rash I got was a very small patch on my hip (about half an inch) where the jacket road up on me as I slid.

Whatever jacket you get, make sure it fits well.

#15 ·
i have a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 perforated jacket that i got cheap at motocyclegear.com. I have riden comfortably from 50 f to 90 f. I never ride in the rain so I don't know how it does when wet. I upgraded the armor as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.