Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Debaffling a 2010 1700 Nomad

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Diggles 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any info or advice about debaffling my Nomad,how much louder would the bike become,is it reversible etc?Thanks for the help people:)

#3 ·
Just take out the very centre baffles, 2 to remove from the rear and 1 to remove from the engine side.
You will have to remove the right hand muffler to get to the one on the engine side, dont remove the Cats. (honeycomb looking material). The baffles sit either side of the Cats. Theres 1 Cat in each pipe.
Its a bit hard to remove the baffle on the left hand muffler engine side because you have to cut the curved section of the pipe. I left that one in.
You can use a hole saw to remove them if you like, i just knocked them out with a large screw driver and a long piece of round bar, sharpened on one end.
If you look up the centre of the pipe you will see what i mean, they look a bit like a welsh plug found on car engines.
A bit bigger than a 20c piece.

#4 ·
My Honest suggestion is "DON"T DO IT" Just be patient & start saving your money NOW to buy aftermarker exhaust. It's the only way you'll get the sound your looking for. You'll never be totally happy with de-baffled stock exhaust. I speak from experience & am being honest. I debaffled mine & wound up with aftermarket not long after. Do a search & read them you'll see that most that have debaffled were only temporarily satisfied.

#6 ·
Steam maker, i beg to differ. I've had mine debaffled since new, i looove the sound and performance inprovement.
I find its just nice without being obnoxious. Each to there own i suppose. I wouldnt spend money on aftermarket simply because i havent heard any that sound any good to me.

#7 ·
Would be great if someone in your area could let you hear what debaffled sounds like. Different bike but my 800 is debaffled and have been asked many times what pipes I have because they liked the sound. To me te aftermarket pipes always seem to have a higher pitch note to them, where mine have a deeper tone. But each persons preference is diffferent. Can always get aftermarket, but dont think you can reinstall stock baffles.

#8 ·
I'm curious if there are any picture instructions or videos out there about how to remove the baffles on a 1700. They're everywhere on the 1600's and 1500's, but I haven't seen any for a 1700 bike. I did mine on my old Nomad, but I don't feel confident messing with my Voyager because I don't quite understand the process.

I loved the difference removing the baffles made on the Nomad. I would be just as happy with similar results on the Voyager.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
So it seems there is a little interest in this topic,I met up with Damo222 a few weekends ago and had a listen to his bike,I liked the sound,not too loud and a nice deep note.I went home that day,grabbed a 32mm holesaw with an extender,removed the exhausts from the bike and drilled out the two rear baffles.Got an instant performance increase,as well as fuel economy,and a nice sound as well.Damo has removed the front baffle on one side as well as the two rears on his bike,and has a barely noticeable volume increase over mine,so I'm contemplating drilling out the front two as well.If I get around to it any time soon I'll post my thoughts on it.

#14 ·
I had 2 baffles drilled from each pipe for about 6 months the stock air system. Seemed to run ok, but was a BIG improvement after adding the Thunder stock air kit and Gman/Bully (EJK) at the same time. Responce in the 2200-2800 rpm was were I saw the biggest improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.