Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Front tire problem

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
Is this a broken belt or is there something else going on?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like its starting to cup. Do you have any vibrations or wobble? Cupping seems to only be a problem with certain tires. My stock tires did that, and I started getting a high speed wobble. Once I changed the tire Hasnt happened since. That was on an 05 800 classic. If you arent having any issues yet, I would just keep an eye on it, other may say replace asap. If you dont ride year round, may consider replacing before your next riding season starts. You didnt say how many miles are on it, or the bike they are on.

#4 · (Edited)
Typical for that tire on the V2K. It's not defective, per se. Mine did exactly the same thing as have many others I've read about.

Mine never did any wobbling or anything. The only "problem" was the howl present going though turns that will eventually develop. Usually people think the front wheel bearings are going out when that starts to happen but it's just the tire. Again, I used it until it was worn out with no ill effects other than the howl on the curves.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Same thing happened to my front tire. Search the net and you"ll find every cause ever thought of. From the wrong air pressure, tire quality, not properly balanced to our mamma's not loving us enough.

One thing for sure is that it does effect ride quality and there is a better chance of blowing your tire if you hit a sharp enough object on the road at just the right angle and spot on the tire.

Bite the bullit and swap your rubber. For god sake we only ride on two small patched tires. Why gamble ?

#10 ·
Didn't have any cupping on my front tire until I spent a weekend up in the hills of Georgia seeing what this beast can do. Came back and my tire looked exactly like that one does. Not really a concern in my opinion. However you will get a nice little howl/whine noise when cornering now as others have said.

#14 ·
I had the same issue with the stock tires but it did not affect the bike at all. I slipped on a set of Avon Venoms and have not looked back and am on my second set now. They hang on like baby sh@t to a blanket and wear well. I did have a wobble in my front end at low speeds but this was due to tire pressures. Once corrected no more wobble and she runs sweet as a nut.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

#15 ·
Same here, I had it happen to me with that POS oem front tire. The Battleaxe is garbage, get rid of it. You may end up loosing traction in the rain also. Im on my third set since the stock tires. Running the Bridgestone Exedra max front and back and they are much better. No cupping, little road noise and good handeling. 5K on new tires and holding up great. Little to no wear in front and about 40 to 50% on the rear and I ride them pretty hard.

#16 ·
Is this a broken belt ?
You can say that. Still plenty of rubber to take road contact.
But if you ride long enough those spots will get worn out quick and if you have a bad luck day and go over a sharp object at just the right angle
Bye-Bye...Has anyone every experienced a crash from something like this.
Who knows... I've never read any story of the sort. But doesn't mean it can't happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.