Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tachometer installation help on '11 VN 900

16K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  diamondhill 
#1 ·
I purchased this new tach from BKRider and the single fire adaptor from e-bay. I have my tach hooked up to an external 12V supply and the tach does initialize (0 to 8K and back)) when it is pluged in.
Each coil shoul have a - and a + and the adaptor wires should go to -
With the engine idling, when I measure from the bike ground to any of the 2 wires on each coil, I get a + reading on all 4 terminals( one red and one black). I did it again and the same + + + + readings. I know that the black should be the - and I hooked up the adapter to these terminals.
Start the engine but the tach stays at 0...
What am I doing wrong here and why the + reading from both terminals of the coil? Any help is more than welcome.
[/IMG]

See less See more
#29 ·
With any adapters no tach wires go to the coil. The problem with these adapters is that they are bulky and hard to hide. That is the reason I got this slim one( just 3 wires and no box) on ebay that did not worked out for me. But I will build my own next week and sell this one on ebay for the Harleys.

#37 ·
Hi DiamondHill,
Could you tell where you got the tach?
I can only find one with a white face, I like the black one much better.
Thanks

#38 ·
http://www.bkrider.com/BKRider/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=C01160541
This is a no name for a "dual fire system" tach
You can also buy from them the single fire adapter if your bike is a dual fire...or bild one for cheap(like me). Mine does bounce a bit and I would be happy to find out where (based on the Harley schematic above) can I connect the 10K-1/2W resistor to ground to prevent that. Somebody should know about this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.